7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2013 7:59 PM by chrisjohnson64 RSS

Motorola Photon 4G fail

AMJandSCJ Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I understand about no updates coming for the phone, but does that mean in general that I am screwed?

NONE of my apps will update as of last week... meaning I can use NOTHING on my phone other than text and dial.

I wouldn't really mind, but I am paying for services I can't use and Customer Service is quick to point out that its not their fault... and basically say "thanks for your money and good luck!"

So, are my apps not updating because I can't get the new adroid upgrade, or... is my phone an even bigger piece of sh** than I thought?

• 1. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    Capt.Random Social Care

AMBandSCJ,

Thanks for the post.  I would say you might have other issues.  I use the Photon as my current phone and I have my apps set to auto update. I am always getting tons of updates for my apps at any one time.  I suggest taking the phone into service and repair so they can take a look at it for starters.  Do you know if your apps are set to auto update? If not you should go in and see if any updates are due to you through settings.  You can also try to power cycle your phone. If you dont do this regularly you will get poor response from your phone. A power cycle should be done at least once a week, this refreshes your connection with the tower.  You can also try updating your PRL and profile through the settings after the power cycle. Let us know if this helps.

• 2. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    AMJandSCJ Newbie

I believe the issue is the phone as well. I have taken it to the store for hard reset. Everything was fine for a week, then it all started again. They said it was my AirAve that was causing the issue... and told me to call the "Airave dept." Which I did, and they said to call customer service. I did... and they forwarded me to an Iphone support center. I'm up for renewal, but its really disheartening to see the quality of this company plummet!

I have stayed with sprint because of the customer service, and now It's gone. The stores have new employees weekly, and the people on the phone never seem to understand what it is that theu are doing.

I'll try another trip to the store and hope for the best.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

• 3. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    Jalapeno123 Newbie

hey, my phone will go off and refuse to tiurn on, like right now, making me crazy--how did you deal with this, it just refuses to turn on after a long charge?

• 4. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Have you already tried removing/replacing battery (while charger unplugged) then try powering on? have you had trouble with the phone in any other ways recently?

• 5. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    chrisjohnson64 Regular Visitor

The phone was garbage when it was introduced.  Sprint did not have the courtesy to notify customers that they were going to stop supporting it with any additional firmware or android updates.  4G doesn't even work anymore.  

• 6. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    Capt.Random Social Care

chrisjohnson64,

Thanks for the post. Sprint still supports Wimax 4G, we will till 2015. Where are you located that you dont get it? Motorola has since replaced the device in the line up with the Photon Q which is LTE capable. Ill have to disagree with your opinion the device is Garbage, My fist gen is still up and running with no issues. But let me know if there is anything else you may need us to look into for you.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 7. Re: Motorola Photon 4G fail
    chrisjohnson64 Regular Visitor

Quote;

Thanks for the post. Sprint still supports Wimax 4G, we will till 2015. Where are you located that you dont get it?

LTE service is at my home and work area, but 4G is not.  Phone disconnects from 4G when enabled, and cannot get an IP address.  it is unavailable.  Already have been through this with a Sprint expert.

Motorola has since replaced the device in the line up with the Photon Q which is LTE capable. Yes, I know that, and Sprint or Motorola never notified customers that a replacement model was available due to network changes, etc.  Where is the letter or communication?  Did Sprint send an email to Photon buyers? No- they did not.  Did you know that the processor in this phone is useless?  State of the art Tegra which was sold to me just like a cheap slicked hair used car salesman.  They simply allowed their inventory to be sold and did not care. Ill have to disagree with your opinion the device is Garbage, My fist gen is still up and running with no issues. But let me know if there is anything else you may need us to look into for you. The phone is garbage.  Mine is also up and running, with an operating system that is way outdated, and limited if any 4G connection as explained earlier.  Throttled unlimited data as well. 

Lesson learned. 

Buy hardware that is GSM, LTE with all bands,  and a proven processor that will last at least 3 years and be relevant.  And do not buy hardware from Sprint, because you will never be able to take it with you to another carrier.

Sprint Social Care

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points