14 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 4:54 PM by raindog469wtf RSS

Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?

Havasuvideos Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Not really sure why Sprint has not requested this from Samsung. I know there is a market for this, as not everyone wants to use a "virtual" keyboard. I like to type without looking and I text a lot. Was not impressed by the Photon Q, (sorry Motorola) but it just does not compare to Samsusng. Currently have the Epic 4G and want to upgrade it, but can't. I would love The newer technology of the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 in slider form,  not a watered down single core, but a dual or quad core jellybean running monster. Please push Sprint to Request this from Samsung. They WILL listen.

• 1. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    Capt.Random Social Care

Havasuvideos,

Have you taken a look at the Note 2. This might be big enough to use the virtual keypad and not notice the difference.

• 2. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

I would also suggest taking a look at the LG Mach that was released recently.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?deviceSKUId=67400094

.48" thick, 5MP camera, QWERTY keyboard, 4" (480x800) screen, 1.2GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM, Android 4.0

• 3. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

I agree with you somewhat, I would like to see more slide out QWERTY keyboards, however for a variety of reasons you will likely see less of them going forward. Onscreen input is far more efficient with Swype, having slideout keyboard increases likelihood of phone failing (because of moving parts), you may want to consider a bluetooth keyboard if you feel a hardware keyboard is necessary.

• 4. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    BoloPrime Newbie

I'm soooooo with you on this one.  Not giving up my Epic 4G until they pry it from my cold, dead hands at this point.

Here are my complaints about the current crop of phones...

The S3 is an absolutely awesome phone, but really, it's way too big to have on you at all times.  My wife and best friend each have one... he's on his third S3 because it keeps dropping out of pockets or gets sat on, and half the time I can't get ahold of my wife because it's so big, she leaves it in her purse. In the car.  Because it's too big to lug around, too.

Note 2 is not an option, that's not a phone.  Do you really want to be "that guy" holding a huge phablet to his ear?  Maybe if  your name is Gordon Gekko and you just upgraded from your Moto DynaTac. 24x7 Bluetooth headset?  Just one more thing I have to keep charged.

The Photon Q is a ***** out of the gate.  It seems like it was thrown together at the last minute with leftover parts from the Razr M and the OG Droid.   My 3+ yo Epic has a better screen.

Not only does the LG Mach suffer from the same crappy screen rez as the Photon Q, it feels cheap.  Besides, the Mach is, at best, a mid-grade phone like the Transform Ultra.

What ****** me off angers me even more is I understand that Verizon got the Stratosphere 2... while it's not an S3 killer, it's definitely better than the OG Epic or even the Galaxy S2 Line.  T-Mo got the Relay 4G, which is kind of between a midgrade and premium handset, AT&T got the Atrix HD (a little big) and the Captivate Glide (a little old, but still venerable), but nothing new on Sprint except the disappointment of the Photon Q.

I guess Sprint thinks that the only people that use physical keyboards anymore are either SMS-Addicted teenagers or old-school corporate Luddites that simply cannot let go of their Blackberries (shudder).

What I want to see:

A handset from a reputable manufacturer (i.e. Sammy, Moto or HTC) with at least a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor, a gig of memory and 8 gig of internal flash. It needs to have a brilliant screen with at least WXGA/HD resolution, measuring in in the 4" - 4.25" range. It needs to get good signal, not an iPhone antenna that drops the call when you actually hold it in your hand.  A good front camera (5 or 8 MP doesn't matter so much as good optics, low light performance and capture speed) is a must, 3G, 4G and WiFi radios that don't suck... and while you're at it, throw in at least 48 hours of standby time and 8 hours of talk time on that battery.   I don't care if it's a slider or a clamshell, but a 5-row keyboard is a must, and tailor it to the "thick fingered" such as myself.  I'm making the assumption that any new handset these days will contain the complement of features available in the S3, such as NFC, BT 4.0, accelerometer, gyro, barometer, etc.

Yeah, I know, I don't want much.  Maybe the Elves at the north pole can cook something up.  Seriously, though.... get on it, Sprint.  There is demand for a high-end QWERTY handset.

Message was edited by: BoloPrime - Wow, the censorship software was all over that post.  Apparently witing an idiomatic phrase equating frustration with being the target of urination and/or being a horse that is so pitiful it's obvoius it will finish last even before the race starts, makes my post come up with lots of asterisks.

• 5. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    ASHLEEZYD Regular Visitor

I HATE HATE HATE texting on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I knew when I went to upgrade that I would miss my slide out keyboard like on my Epic. The staff at the store told me I would get used to the touch screen. I have had it 3 months and still cannont type a text message without repeatedly backspacing and retyping to correct mistakes OR sending the message as is which looks like another language. They had mentioned that there is a talk to text feature but how convenient is that? When I am sitting at my desk at work I can't speak my message into my phone. I totally have buyer's remorse. I am going to purchase a 'minute' phone until I can upgrade. Grrrrr. So aggravating.

• 6. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?

I HATE HATE HATE texting on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I knew when I went to upgrade that I would miss my slide out keyboard like on my Epic. The staff at the store told me I would get used to the touch screen. I have had it 3 months and still cannont type a text message without repeatedly backspacing and retyping to correct mistakes OR sending the message as is which looks like another language. They had mentioned that there is a talk to text feature but how convenient is that? When I am sitting at my desk at work I can't speak my message into my phone. I totally have buyer's remorse. I am going to purchase a 'minute' phone until I can upgrade. Grrrrr. So aggravating.

• 7. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?

• 8. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    Chris_ra Social Care

ASHLEEZYD,

I hear you, I am partial to a physical keyboard myself however, since upgrading to the Galaxy Note2 I have found myself using swype all the time.

It was a pain in the rear at first. I decided I would use it for a full day just to try it out and I actually found myself using it more and more and now I don't even bother typing out each letter individually. I realize it's not for everyone but maybe give it a shot for a day to see if you get used to it.

Thank you,

Chris

• 9. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?

I HATE HATE HATE texting on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I knew when I went to upgrade that I would miss my slide out keyboard like on my Epic. The staff at the store told me I would get used to the touch screen. I have had it 3 months and still cannot type a text message without repeatedly backspacing and retyping to correct mistakes OR sending the message as is which looks like another language. They had mentioned that there is a talk to text feature but how convenient is that? When I am sitting at my desk at work I can't speak my message into my phone. I totally have buyer's remorse. I am going to purchase a 'minute' phone until I can upgrade. Grrrrr. So aggravating.

• 10. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    Capt.Random Social Care

ASHLEEZYD,

I would also suggest trying the Swype feature of your device. You need to change the input method and the Swype feature will learn your words and make it more convienent for you. You wont need to type, you just slide your finger from letter to letter. Its really cool and fast. Let us know if this works out better for you.

Victor

Sprint Social Care.

• 11. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    SkydiveSergio Newbie

Currently, I'm using the Epic 4G with the physical qwerty. I would love to upgrade it to something newer but it just seems like the newer phones would have me losing more than gaining.

I probably would have been giving the Photon Q 4G LTE a proper look but I'm having trouble with the idea of not being able to take an extra battery with me. I wouldn't mind paying a little more or having a little more bulk however I just don't want to feel like the phone for both work and for personal use is unable to keep up with a phone I bought nearly 2 years ago.

• 12. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    raindog469wtf Newbie

I'm another Epic 4G user. I've used Swype extensively on my Samsung tablet. It gets words wrong far more than right, especially technical words and proper nouns, which I use extensively in business correspondence. It's especially awful for typing numeric figures and passwords. And doing remote work (using Connectbot or a VNC viewer app) is literally not possible using Swype. Having a keyboard vastly increases the number of places I don't need to bring my laptop with me. The LG Mach is on par with the Galaxy S2, if that. The Photon Q is slightly better, but has a non-removable battery, which rules it out.

A QWERTY phone is not useful for someone who's just sending texts, using Facebook or playing Angry Birds. It's useful for those of us who use our phones to do actual work. Not just answering work emails, but actually getting work done.

Now that a competing carrier offers unlimited data, I've begun evaluating my options for replacing the Epic. One of them is buying the Galaxy S3 on Sprint and getting one of the Chinese snap-on slider keyboard cases available for it, or waiting for something similar to appear for the S4, since I don't care about thickness. But reviews of those units have been mixed to poor, due to their nature as cheaply made accessories. (You also never know whether you're getting one with dedicated number keys, as you can see by looking at the product pictures and reviews on Amazon.)

Another option is leaving Sprint altogether. Don't really want to, but if Sprint won't cater to geeks anymore (actual geeks, not fans of Apple and its imitators), I'm guessing someone else will.

• 13. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    Capt.Random Social Care

raindog469***,

Thanks for the post. Have you tried changing the input method to a normal QWERTY from Swype? This would treat the on screen keyboard just like a slide out. With the newer devices having larger screens this on screen keyboard should be more than adequate for your needs.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 14. Re: Would you like to see a QWERTY Galaxy S3?
    raindog469wtf Newbie

Yes, I've used the default Samsung QWERTY keyboard, both the Epic's and the one on the Galaxy S3. It has no Ctrl, Esc, or arrow keys, so it's literally impossible to do many things on web servers with it, such as edit code with emacs or vi. I'm not kidding you when I say that Connectbot is my third-most-often-used app after the browser and Handcent. I use it literally every day.

There is a free app called Hacker's Keyboard which does have all those keys (it emulates a full PC keyboard) but it takes up almost the entire screen in landscape mode, half the screen in portrait mode, there's no key repeat so if you have a 180-character line of code (just a ballpark example; I've written regular expressions that were 300 characters long, and other people's web pages frequently have lines that are thousands of characters long with no breaks) and need to change something in the middle you need to hit the arrow key 90 times rather than just holding it down, and most importantly, you can't touch-type on a touchscreen. There are also other options, such as using ES File Manager's text editor over an sftp tunnel. Unfortunately, I've already discovered that's not reliable when you're somewhere with 1-2 bars of service, which is pretty much anywhere more than a mile or two off of a freeway out here in the boondocks.

I've had a QWERTY phone since buying a Palm Pre on launch day in 2009. The Pre gave me the freedom to stop carrying my laptop everywhere when I'm on call, and the Epic is only an improvement due to the bigger screen and wider keyboard. A keyboardless phone will take that freedom away from me, as anything more than a trivial change will be impossible (as it is on my tablet when I don't have a Bluetooth keyboard available).

I've been through all these arguments, first with iPhone enthusiasts ("shouldn't you be using your laptop for real work?") and now with Android folks ("Swype will do anything you want, you just haven't used it enough") since Google has decided keyboards aren't cool anymore. I hate to be a curmudgeon about it and I know that most people don't have jobs where they need to edit code on remote servers from outside the office. However, I do. There is no substitute for a physical keyboard, so if Sprint doesn't have a new high-end device with another 5-row keyboard by the time my Epic fails, it will force me to switch carriers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...