9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 4:44 PM by smotrs RSS

Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.

ANNE217 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

My HTC EVO 4G LTE keeps turning on and off...it doesn't even fully turn on.  The only way it stops is when the battery runs out.  Help!!!!

• 1. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    Exzirr Regular Visitor

Due to fastboot you might have a program that you installed that is causing this.  Simply hold the powerbutton down for 10-20 secounds this should power down the phone and you then power it back up and that should cure your problem.

• 2. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    sprintrepctl Newbie

You can get into fastboot by shutting down your device and holding down the volume down button while pressing the power button at the same time, then go down and wipe the phone out n rebooted n problem should be fixed

• 3. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee

Here are the detailed instruction on resetting your device. If this does not fix your issue, you may need to take your phone to a service and repair store.

1.Start with the phone on. Note: The phone can either be locked or unlocked.
    2.Just press and hold the Power button.
    3.Keep holding down the Power button until the screen turns off.
    Note: A warning message will popup telling you that the phone will reboot at the end of a 3 second count down. Ignore this message and keep holding the power button.
    4.Press and hold the Volume Down button.
    Note: The phone will reboot normally if you do nothing at this point.
    5.Release the Volume Down key when a white screen with three skateboarding Android logos appear on the bottom. The following options will also be displayed:     
    •FASTBOOT
    •RECOVERY
    •FACTORY RESET
    •CLEAR STORAGE
    •SIMLOCK
    •IMAGE CRC
    •SHOW BARCODE

6.Press the Volume Down key to scroll to FACTORY RESET.
    7.Press the Power key to select the highlighted option.
    8.The phone will reset and reboot.
    Note: There is no confirmation screen. Once factory reset is selected there is no way to go back. This reset will also erase the built-in storage but not the removable memory card.

• 4. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    smotrs Master

As mentioned above, Long press the Power Button until the phone restarts. IF it starts normally and runs fine, disable Fast Boot,

• Settings > Power > Fast boot

Touch it to disable, i.e. no Green check.

If it still reboots, try booting to Safe Mode, Long press the Power Button until it reboots and at the first white boot screen, press and hold the Volume Down button until fully booted. You should see Safe Mode in the bottom left corner. At that point, disable Fast Boot as described above. Reboot phone to exit Safe Mode.

The difference between a Fast boot and a normal boot are minimal on these phones, so I just leave mine disabled.

• 5. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    fireguy_6364 Master

if THAT doesnt work try removing your sd card. wouldnt be the first time the sd card itself was the culprit..if youre not running a sd card then obviously this attempt is moot lol

• 6. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    ANNE217 Newbie

I tried rebooting several times but it just wouldn't get past the HTC screen.  In the end, I took it to a Sprint repair location & they had to wipe everything off the phone. My contacts & pics were saved on Google & Dropbox but I lost all the apps I downloaded. I never backed up the phone :-( Anyway, it's back to working condition!  Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• 7. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    smotrs Master

You can retrieve a list of the apps installed, not the data but the apps themselves by going to the My Apps section of Play Store,

• Launch Play > Menu > My Apps > All Tab

To get to the All Tab, swype the screen from Right to Left. You will see every app you purchased or installed listed there after your phone has synced with Google.

• 8. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    ANNE217 Newbie

It worked...Thanks!

• 9. Re: Phone keeps turning on and off...I can't stop it.
    smotrs Master

Glad to help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points