This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 12:48 PM by smotrs RSS

How do I transfer apps to new replacement phone?

ReginaLitman Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I've been a mostly satisfied Samsung Galaxy II Epic user for almost 14 months. I did spring for the extra $8 a month to replace my phone if something went wrong. I had to resort to this in the past week when I couldn't hear people on my phone and they couldn't hear me, and I was a bit peeved to pay $100 to get the replacement, but that's another story. I have my replacement phone now.

The big thing I need to know is, am I entitled to get all of the apps I had before, especially ones that I had to pay for? And if I am, how do I go about getting them? Do I just go to the Play store? I tried that, and all I got informed about were updates to the Sprint-default ones (like that NASCAR one I have no use for). Or do I now have to remember what I had on my old phone and just search for them on the Play store and download them again? If that is the case, I still have a couple of days before I have to send back the old phone, so I can look up what's on it. But if the app cost money, will I need to pay for it again?

I brought over my SD card, and my pictures were on it. But I had a few apps stored on it, and they didn't appear to have come over. I synched my contacts with Total Protection (TEP), something I had never remembered to do, from my old phone on Tuesday. But the TEP app is not on my new phone (yet), so I have had to do some manual lookups through other sources (such as my old pre-paid TracPhone, which served a return engagement as my primary cell phone between last Thursday and yesterday) to make calls today. Also, all of my Internet Browser favorites are wiped out. Is there a way to get them back for my new phone, or do I just have to start Googling to my favorite sites and then re-adding them?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this. If this has been asked and answered before, please feel free to refer me there. I'll come back and ask again if it doesn't quite suit my needs.

Although I realize that I am a beggar that can't be a chooser, I have found that the most useful responses I get online fit the following profiles:

1. Typed in proper mixed case without run-on sentences.

2. Words spelled out, although I know it's harder to do this on a mobile device. (I'm typing this on a "real computer".) I am the original poster, not the OP. Also, I am not a "bro". More accurately, I am a "sis", but I don't tend to think of myself as that online.

3. No emoticons.

• 1. Re: How do I transfer apps to new replacement phone?
    TheFifthLetter Social Care

Thank you for reaching out; to download all the apps you had on your old phone you would have to go into the play store. Once in the play store press Menu>My apps; this should list all apps you have downloaded(paid or free). Unfortunately, your bookmarks will not save unless you used Google chrome; if you used the stock browser on the S2 it would have not saved your bookmarks. Moving forward I would suggest you use Google chrome since it has this awesome feature, for your contacts I would suggest you add your Google account to sync and backup your contacts; from the home screen press the menu key>Settings>Accounts and Sync.

TheFifthLetter

Sprint Social Media Care Team

• 2. Re: How do I transfer apps to new replacement phone?
    smotrs Master

To add to this, when you got into the Play followed by My Apps, you need to swype the screen from Right to Left ot dispaly the All Tab. This is where all your previously installed/purchased apps are displayed.

Also, on your phone, you have 2 address books usually. One is labeled Phone and the other Google. Items stored on Phone Address book are not backed up whereas items stored on the Google Address book are synced with your Google acct.

• 3. Re: How do I transfer apps to new replacement phone?
    ReginaLitman Regular Visitor

To TheFifthLetter,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I'm using the browser that came with the phone. And my use of the word "Favorites" betrays my desktop computer use of Internet Explorer. Ironically, "Bookmarks" was my original word for this function because when I started out on a desktop computer, I used Netscape.

I decided to try to get Chrome from the Marketplace/Play Store. Unfortunately, I got the error message, "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I guess I missed a window of opportunity to get a version of Chrome that worked with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic D700 or whatever mine is called and/or the Gingerbread version of Android (which is apparently the latest one available for my device, even though I see others in these forums discussing having Ice Cream Sandwich and awaiting the imminent release of Jellybean for this same phone). Is there a way I can get an older version of Chrome that works on my phone and/or operating system?

To smotrs:

Thanks for the tip on finding my apps. I swiped (sic - because I don't understand why everyone seems to spell it with a "y" these days) the screen, and there they were - well, at least most of them. I downloaded most of them yesterday. I skipped a few, including updates for that bloatware NASCAR app and a football app that I would have been interested in except that the reviews said it was no longer up-to-date. I also skipped the ones for the 2012 Philadelphia Flower Show and the 2012 baseball season, since they are outdated.

There was one app I have and use that I didn't have in my list and didn't find in searching the Play Store. I probably got it somewhere else, so I will search the web for it. Plus, it may have been a bit questionable legally. It is called [Famous Singer who started having hits in the 1960s] Ringtone. I believe it was free. I was actively using one of these ringtones for my incoming calls. When I typed the app name into the Play Store's search box, the only hit I got was a single ringtone of this singer's best-known song (not the one I was using) that costs in the $2.00-$3.00 range. I wouldn't mind paying for a ringtone of one of this singer's songs, but I don't particularly want this one.

I'm about to do a compare of my old phone with my new one (fortunately, I have multiple batteries and charging cords and a wifi connection to get around the data cutoff of the old phone), and I'll see if there are any other apps I didn't get but want.

I don't keep contacts as part of any online address book, probably because the address book in Netscape 2.0, my first email software, didn't work properly. Everything on the phone was it. After I got The Protection App installed on my new phone, I was able to bring back all of the phone numbers I had stored before!

To anyone:

As I noted before, my photos are on the SD card, now transferred to my new phone. So are the various photos I downloaded from online, including attachments to emails and friends' and family members' Facebook pages. But my downloads of other documents are gone. I had several documents related to a class I took recently. Fortunately, I also downloaded these to my desktop computer and my Barnes and Noble Nook eBook reader. But I may have downloaded other documents to this phone. I guess they weren't on the SD card.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

• 4. Re: How do I transfer apps to new replacement phone?
    smotrs Master

ReginaLitman wrote:

To smotrs:

Thanks for the tip on finding my apps. I swiped (sic - because I don't understand why everyone seems to spell it with a "y" these days) the screen, and there they were - well, at least most of them. I downloaded most of them yesterday. I skipped a few, including updates for that bloatware NASCAR app and a football app that I would have been interested in except that the reviews said it was no longer up-to-date. I also skipped the ones for the 2012 Philadelphia Flower Show and the 2012 baseball season, since they are outdated.

I believe this has to do with the fact that there is a keyboard called Swype and other keyboards that support the same functionality, which you swipe from letter to letter to type. So as a result, people are now spelling it differently.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points