This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 6 Previous Next 79 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2013 7:18 PM by MALIMARTECHGRP Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    slacker00 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

GregThree - I use the term NAV loosely. I apologize for the confusion.

I am using Google Maps and the Navigation app that comes by default.

My suggestion is not final for me. I will test again tonight for longer duration, and farther drive. But it is lasting more than the few minutes crashing that I experienced before.

• 16. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    Zqual Regular Visitor

I was so excited to see the Google maps update today, but o soo disappointed when it crashed :-(. I will try turning off the screen dimming off as well and post my results. I have been using waze as alternative and it so much cleaner looking than telenav. Plus there are a lot of options in it that may make it my full time navigator app. But cmon Google I'm rooting for you!

• 17. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    DrMassenburg Regular Visitor

I installed the update the appear in the play store but it still froze and force closed .

• 18. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    o0adan0o Regular Visitor

Tried the screen dimming thing and its still broke. I hope everyone knows the difference between Google Maps and Google Navigation lol

I dont know if this is Sprint or Googles fault. But im starting to like Waze. I guess somethig good will come of this mess.I would advise everyone having problems to give the google maps a low rating and give reasons why on the review. Hopefully this will catch Google/Sprints attention. I had given Google Maps 5-Stars but since its broke i changed it to 1-Star. Once its fixed i will gladly change it back to 5. Not saying it matters but it can do more good than harm to our cause.

• 19. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    Gregthree Regular Visitor

o0adan0o wrote:

. I hope everyone knows the difference between Google Maps and Google Navigation lol

Since I just got my phone a month ago, yes my first smart phone with the built in GPS, I am assuming you mean that the navigation part will give you point by point direction whil the maps even though it may work with the navigation is separate in control.

I have as strong GPS connection based on the GPS tool so that is why google navigation still works.  Its the maps part that will not keep in pace.

• 20. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation

i just did everything as stated above.  I unistalled - reboot.  i did hte update for maps and reboot.  i just turned the maps app on.  i let it set on my desk and it never moved and it closed out.  So I guess its keep plugging on.

• 21. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    Zqual Regular Visitor

Yeah, nothing is working. Looks like im using Waze till google / htc does a fix. We shouldnt have to worry about finding our own fixes for this stuff. WTH! (screen proximity sensor is broken when on a call, Voicemail app doesnt work) I was looking forward to this update.

• 22. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation

GregThree,

Did you try the Disable Screen Dimming?

I tested again today after work and drove 1 hour to the first destination, then another hour back home.

Disable "Screen dimming" fixed it for me. Results may vary judging from the other posts in this thread.

Tomorrow, I will test again with Screen dimming enabled to see if the NAV crashing issue returns.

• 23. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    donk691 Newbie

This "screen dimming" setting does not fix the issue. I tested this repeatedly over the last few days along with the other recommendations here and other forums… none of them worked.

Been trying to correct this for 5 days including two calls into Sprint, a hard reset and reimage, uninstalling and reinstalling maps, etc...

The "freeze" happens at inconsistent times, 10 second, 5 minutes, etc... and this is a Google Maps issue.

Next stop is a repair center to swap the phone and try it again.

FYI when I called Sprint not one other ticket had been reported so those of you experiencing issues, please call it in and bring some attention to this. But do not listen to the tech, they will send you through a bunch of recommendations that fixes nothing.

• 24. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation

From everything that I have found out, your google maps is fine.  Your TeleNAv is fine, your battery depleting fast is not what you think.  After playing with the phone and lots of searching.  This is what I have found.  The sprint update we installed on the 15th of Dec has updates that other phones had done to it back in June and July and maybe even earlier.  It plays heck with the google navigation peice of google maps.  If Here is why I say this.  If you click the upside down blue triangle, the widget for google navigation it brings up a screen asking you to do somethine.In the top left mine says navigation with an arrow pinting to the lower right.  If I select maps on the pull down list, the maps loads and will contiue to play perferctly following every move that I make.No problems whatsoever.  Hours of testing this.  If I select navigation setting at it takes me to TELENAV, everything runs perfect.  If I select Google Navigation the nall **** breaks loose.  So the issue is googles software not sprint.  This topic is all over Google customer service.  If you reset your phone to the day you bought it, google navigator will work perfect again until you update your phone.  If you need google navigator with google maps then you will deal with the shutoff.  Remember, you are still navigating, you just don't have the map.  Reset the map then continue on your way.  OR tell the navigation on you phone to go direct to Telenav or use WAZE.  There are other choices.

• 25. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    BORDERHUB01 Newbie

Aside from the map concern, I have seen when I take a screen shot and send it out via SMS it does not come across clearly.  Is there a remedy for this bug as well?

• 26. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    BORDERHUB01 Newbie

Aside from the map concern, I have seen when I take a screen shot and send it out via SMS it does not come across clearly.  Is there a remedy for this bug as well?

• 27. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation

Slacker

ARe you sure that when you are going into navigation controls that it is going to google navigation and there maps and not loading TeleNav.  My phone has switched to telenav by default.  Not sure why.  Of you have a green bar that runs all the way acroos the top of your screen with the street name in then you are in google if you have a yellow square in the left corner then you are in Telenav.

• 28. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation
    donk691 Newbie

Excellent summary as this is exactly what I am still experiencing... maps breaks but Nav keeps on talking. Problem is it will eventually lock the entire phone for a period of time and sometimes requires reboot.

FYI - By hard reset I should have said factory reset... which I did and after all the aggravation associated with restoring my personal setting and info, this does not fix the Google Maps/Nav issue... actually seems to have made it worse. I will say some of the other issue reported did go away but Google Maps/Nav is worse.

Off to see what is being said on the google forums.

Shouldn't Sprint put out some type of bulleting warning users not to upgrade to JB knwoing this does break a previously functioning utiltiy?

I had been a Windows Mobile user forever and finally made the leap to Android this summer... was really, realy impressed, until now. The lack of knowledge and response to a significant programming bug is appalling (Google response). I guess I am going all the way to dark side and ESN swap to an Iphone… since Sprint does not offer Windows phones any longer.

• 29. Re: htc evo 4g lte jelly bean update breaks google maps navigation

GregThree,

My phone has Google Maps and Google Navigation. I do NOT have TeleNav, Waze or other navigation program installed. although I did read up on Waze which has some nice features.

I have been running the navigation program now without crashes since I disabled dimming. But today I re-enabled dimming, and expected to encounter a lockup of the google navigation. It did not crash, which puts doubt on this as a fix.

I did get a prompt to update Maps which I have not done.

1 2 3 4 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...