8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 8:18 AM by booaka RSS

Touch Screen is Possessed

AARON_G_1973 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else having problems with their touch screen doing it's own thing? I don't even touch the screen and it starts typing random keys, switching and/or opening apps. I've turned on/off, removed the battery numerous times, etc.... Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    Ferissa Newbie

I'm having the same issues.  I took the phone to Sprint last month and they wanted to give me a "new" (refurbished) phone or send my phone to have it fixed (bth for $35.00) because I don't have insurance on it.  I thought I was being ripped off since my phone wasn't even a year old.  The touch screen was fine until about September 2012 and I thought it was caused by the firmware/software update, or that I had too many apps on there.  It wasn't bad - until about November.  I was trying to text and it wouldn't respond - I'd have to turn it off/on to get the touch screen to work.  Then I'd watch it randomly select apps/keys or call people even when I'm not touching it!  Nothing in life stresses me more than this phone.  I finally took it to Sprint and that's whan they took a 5-second-look at it and said, "We'll give you a new phone." 

I thought I'd research the phone more (which I did and found out HTC Evo 3D just sucks) and call the manufacturer - so I missed my Jan 2 deadline for the warranty. 

If you resolve your issues without having to get a new phone and costing another $500.00, could you please let me know? 

Thank you.

Problem with HTC Evo 3D (randomly happens, but on a daily basis since November): 

- does not respond

- randomly selects keys

- always goes to my clock (this is how I know it's going to act up, when it automatically goes to my clock when I turn it on)

- randomly calls people

* I took it out of a protective shell, took off the screen protector, and it still acts up.

* I did a soft reset and that didn't work

* Phone has to be turned on/off to get it to work again, and sometimes this doesn't fix it either!

• 2. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    Ferissa Newbie

I'm having the same issues.  I took the phone to Sprint last month and they wanted to give me a "new" (refurbished) phone or send my phone to have it fixed (bth for $35.00) because I don't have insurance on it.  I thought I was being ripped off since my phone wasn't even a year old.  The touch screen was fine until about September 2012 and I thought it was caused by the firmware/software update, or that I had too many apps on there.  It wasn't bad - until about November.  I was trying to text and it wouldn't respond - I'd have to turn it off/on to get the touch screen to work.  Then I'd watch it randomly select apps/keys or call people even when I'm not touching it!  Nothing in life stresses me more than this phone.  I finally took it to Sprint and that's whan they took a 5-second-look at it and said, "We'll give you a new phone." 

I thought I'd research the phone more (which I did and found out HTC Evo 3D just sucks) and call the manufacturer - so I missed my Jan 2 deadline for the warranty. 

If you resolve your issues without having to get a new phone and costing another $500.00, could you please let me know? 

Thank you.

Problem with HTC Evo 3D (randomly happens, but on a daily basis since November): 

- does not respond

- randomly selects keys

- always goes to my clock (this is how I know it's going to act up, when it automatically goes to my clock when I turn it on)

- randomly calls people

* I took it out of a protective shell, took off the screen protector, and it still acts up.

* Phone has to be turned on/off to get it to work again, and sometimes this doesn't fix it either!

• 3. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    Ferissa Newbie

I'm having the same issues.  I took the phone to Sprint last month and they wanted to give me a "new" (refurbished) phone or send my phone to have it fixed (bth for $35.00) because I don't have insurance on it.  I thought I was being ripped off since my phone wasn't even a year old.  The touch screen was fine until about September 2012 and I thought it was caused by the firmware/software update, or that I had too many apps on there.  It wasn't bad - until about November.  I was trying to text and it wouldn't respond - I'd have to turn it off/on to get the touch screen to work.  Then I'd watch it randomly select apps/keys or call people even when I'm not touching it!  Nothing in life stresses me more than this phone.  I finally took it to Sprint and that's whan they took a 5-second-look at it and said, "We'll give you a new phone."  I should've let them give me a refurb phone...I thought I'd research the phone more (which I did and found out HTC Evo 3D just sucks) and call the manufacturer - so I missed my Jan 2 deadline for the warranty. 

Thank you.

- does not respond

- randomly selects keys

- randomly calls people

• 4. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    Ferissa Newbie

I have the same issues and my warranty expired Jan 2.  Please help.

- does not respond

- randomly selects keys

- randomly calls people

• 5. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    jfilli314ertsgsdlfgs Newbie

SPRINT SUCKS. Cancelled my service. It's the only way...

• 6. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    michaelfoss222 Newbie

Mine does the same thing and has for the last 6 months. I had insurance on my first one, which did the same thing. Now with my new one sent to me by Sprint, it is doing the same thing. I am now forced to wait until June to get an upgrade, which I am not happy about, but nothing else I can do. I added an I Phone 4s, and I love that phone. I am pleading with Sprint to allow me to upgrade before my due date......we'll see.

• 7. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    AARON_G_1973 Newbie

Problem resolved. The Tech at the Sprint store fixed the issue on my 2nd visit. It was prety simple and done on site in less than 30 mintes. Phone has worked just fine for the last week.

The fix? They replaced the "Flex Cable", that controls the touch screen. Repair was free for me. I do have total equip protection and have had the phone less than a year.

• 8. Re: Touch Screen is Possessed
    booaka Newbie

And here I was thinking at least being possessed is more than what mine is doing but of course I had to read everything to see that it was a problem with the "Flex Cable". Is that related to a Flux Capacitor? I am on my second HTC Evo 4G & have hated both. I broke the first one entirely so had it replaced of course with the same thing.

Here's my question.....who's brilliant idea was it anyway to have touch only phones? The screens never get dirty, nothing ever happens to them? At least maybe have some little mouse type operating button on the thing someplace so you can actually use the phone when this happens. At least now I can take it to a repair store (or dumpster) & suggest something to them. Bloody good thing I have too much common sense than to have trashed the thing long ago. I'm sure I'll get much more satisfaction jumping on it, hitting it, throwing it and more after having waited & suffered even longer. Oh I HATE this phone!

But I thank you for posting something here that appears to actually be useful! I've done all the sets, resets, factory blah blah blah to no avail so don't need some tech person sounding like he's trying to be patient and telling me slowing what to do when I usually know more than they do! Maybe it's cuz I'm a GIRL....bleh!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points