1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 7:44 PM by funkycatz RSS

Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!

KATNMOE Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

First of all, there is currently no statement on the Sprint Family Locator page stating that there may be a problem locating iPhones. When I got my daughter an iPhone, I received no notification that Family Locator might not work properly with it! Sprint should be notifying users of Family Locator that this is an issue. I can't imagine how many problems this has created between kids & their parents! I started thinking my daughter was turning off her phone's ability to be located! I also thought several times when it did locate her, that she wasn't where she said she was. Fortunately, she's a pretty good kid, so I kept it to myslef while I investigated. I eventually found that when we both were at home, I could locate myself (& my cheap, Sanyo, "un-smart phone") down to what side of the house I was sitting in. Then I would try to locate my daughter, and it would give an address more than a mile away, with a 1.2 mile circle around it. The weird thing is, she could be at home, or at a friend's house many blocks away, and it kept giving that same address! Before I realized it would give that same location while she was sitting in her bedroom, I thought she knew someone at that address that she wasn't telling me about - I even did a reverse lookup to see who lived there. Then, when I realized it was the locator lying & not my daughter, I was so glad I waited to say anything. However, I'm annoyed at how much time I spent feeling  suspicious & investigating my teen's activities.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations where trust in the family is more tenuous, and kids are being accused of being dishonest about their whereabouts

unjustly! I plan to cancel my family locator soon if they don't figure this out. I think it is unconsionable that Sprint is taking customers' money for this service, when they put an iPhone on the account, without at least informing the customer of the glitches! It is difficult enough to be the parent of a teen without having a tool that is supposed to help the parent keep their child safe, instead create additional problems!

Come on, Sprint - disclose this issue to parents of iPhone users before something tragic happens in a family as the result of your service causing

unwarranted mistrust & unfair accusations between parents and their children.

Kat Heatherley

>^,,^<

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,

so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

• 1. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Madman_Mordo Social Care

I'm sorry that the issues you're having with Sprint's Family locator is causing rifts or divisions in your family. Allow me to investigate this issue and find a solution. Can you provide me with the zip code where your iPhone is experiencing these issues, as well as the exact model iPhone (i.e. iPhone 4, 4S or 5)? Is GPS enabled on your daughter's iPhone? Sprint Family locator uses the secondary information location when GPS is unavailable, which may result in an inaccurate location.

Thank you,

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

• 2. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    KATNMOE Newbie

Hi Julian,

It is a 4S, and yes, GPS is enabled... my zip code is 83703.

Fortunately, this is not causing any rifts or divisions in MY family, as I investigated & figured out the problem before saying anything to my daughter. My main concern (besides the fact that if this doesn't work for me anymore, I won't continue the service) is for other families who may have a parent jump to the conclusion that their teen is being dishonest. This appears to be a known issue & I think the responsible thing for Sprint to do is to notify parents, when they sign up for Family Locator, that it may give inaccurate locations when tracking an iPhone.

Thanks for your attention to this matter

Kat

>^,,^<

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,

so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

• 3. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    WEASLEBUB Newbie

This has also been a problem for us since upgrading our childs phone to an iPhone 4S. GPS has always been activated, and our child is impossible to accurately locate in our home town or when at college 5 hours away. It has caused us not to trust our child because we didn't know where they really were. When our child said they were at home the locator said they were on the opposite side of the city (and its a big city). It took awhile to figure out there was a problem, but this being our childs first year away from home we had no idea what their social habits were going to be or whether to believe the locator. I cannot agree enough that this needs to be addressed. This is way too important of a feature to look the other way on, especially for parents like us who use it to stay aware of where their kids are while away at school.

• 4. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

You'll find that this type of technology is pretty fruitless as a parenting aid.  Not only is it unreliable (doesn't work 100%, just like your cellular data, and GPS alone doesn't work well indoors), but kids can fib, lie, and so on; blame it on the technology, the building, the weather, etc. That makes you feel more out of control (and you are).

They talk, and they all know how to play the games (work around the system), even the little angels. I'm not being negative, I just understand how kids work; they can't help themselves!

The old fashioned parenting methods work much better, but they're harder (requires you to communicate more/better) and take more of your time.  But, your kid will like you better for it.  The reality is, they don't like being spied on or gamed by "a computer system". As much as they might not like to admit it, they'd rather be parented and trusted by you.  Imagine if every evening you asked your kids where they were and what they were doing after school?  Eventually you'd get really good at knowing when they were lying.

I can understand good uses for this technology in special situations, but for 95% of kids, it's a waste; possibly harmful.

Not trying to change the subject. Just my two cents as an educator.

• 5. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    jimbbbbbb Newbie

Spot On, I just figured it out myself.  Checked all the I phones (they are 5's) vs two Samsung phones....Sprint WAKE UP.....you are charging for somethign that does not work.  You are opening up the possibilty of issues in a home.  In my case I trust everyone, it is a safety issue.  I hope it happens to no one, but the day the police are looking for someone who has been assualted etc and a subscriber runs the search and gets a **** result....wow.  That would be why my family has SFS.  A reply would be great!!!

Samsungs are spot on

I phones appear to be telling me what tower they are nearby.

• 6. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    SGKHALE Newbie

We have the same problem.  4 phones in the household.  3 of them work great, the only iphone does not work.  GPS is on.  I Phone 4.  Fully charged battery.  Zip code 66061.  Please fix this.  I have another child waiting for an upgrade to switch to an I phone.  I will cancel the service if it isn't fixed by then.  It is useless if I can't find either of my kids...

• 7. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Madman_Mordo Social Care

KATNMOE,

I apologize for my delayed response. This is a known issue. Using Sprint Family Locator on Apple iPhones may result in larger possible locate areas or more frequent unable to locate results than other phones. We're working on addressing the issue. Feel free to unsubscribe from this service in the meantime.

Thank you,

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

• 8. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    PITBMom Newbie

We are having the exact same results. My hubby, our 16-year-old son, and I just upgraded to the iPhone4. Our previous phones were conventional Samsung and Sanyo phones and they each worked well on Family Locator, sometimes getting as accurate as 12 yards. Now each phone gets results consistently within 9/10 of a mile. That wouldn't be much if we were in the country, but it's actually quite a few city blocks. 

If the Family Locator service cannot deliver accurate results, then it is apparent that Sprint needs to partner with an app developer to come up with a better solution for the iPhone.

• 9. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    STANwin Newbie

We are having an issue with this as well, in multiple zip codes in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. The problem is we have to rely on this service to make sure that my ex wife isn't taking our daughter to her abusive boyfriend's home. That happened this weekend, and I cannot prove it because of the large discrepancy...

I should have stayed with Kajeet for her phone...

• 10. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    PITBMom Newbie

I have downloaded FindMyiPhone to my son's phone and it is extremely accurate. It work as long as the phone is conncected to the internet, either via Wifi or 3G. It is free in the app store. Your child needs his/her own iCloud account specific to their phone. After that is set up and FindMyiPhone is installed on the phone, go to Settings>iCloud>Find My iPhone and move the switch to 'On". The app does not have to be running to work.

When you want to locate the phone using your computer, go to iCloud.com and use your child's iCloud ID and password then click on the FindMyiPhone icon. To locate the child using your iPhone, you have to also download the FindMyiPhone app on yours and then enter in your child's iCloud ID and password to find them.

It is not only helpful to locate the phone, but if the phone is in fact lost, using the app, you can also lock the phone and send a message to whomever may find it that it is missing and include a number to call to let you know it has been found. Then app will only allow the person who has the phone to call whatever number you send to it. If that doesn't work, then the app will alllow you to totally erase all your information.

Hope this helps!

• 11. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Lara36 Newbie

I'm having a similar problem but have an additional complaint about this "service."  It's absurd to have a family locator for our children where the children are notified that we will be tracking them.  My friends with this service on AT&T and Verizon have not had their children notified of this.  Secondly, the family locator is so often wrong, it's not worth whatever I may be charged.  I took the 15 day free trial and finally figured out that I could set certain locations and name them, like work or a distant friend's home in another county.  But in almost every case, I'm told my child's phone can't be located.  I see by this discussion that the problem may be that she has an iPhone (1 or 2, I don't know which). I'll probably be canceling this service as soon as I see my 1st billing cycle because the service has not fulfilled it's promises. I'm really disappointed with Sprint on this. I've been a loyal Sprint customer for over two decades and now they're not coming through for me.

• 12. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Lara36 Newbie

'm having a similar problem but have an additional complaint about this "service."  It's absurd to have a family locator for our children where the children are notified that we will be tracking them.  My friends with this service on AT&T and Verizon have not had their children notified of this.  Secondly, the family locator is so often wrong, it's not worth whatever I may be charged.  I took the 15 day free trial and finally figured out that I could set certain locations and name them, like work or a distant friend's home in another county.  But in almost every case, I'm told my child's phone can't be located.  I see by this discussion that the problem may be that she has an iPhone (1 or 2, I don't know which). I'll probably be canceling this service as soon as I see my 1st billing cycle because the service has not fulfilled it's promises. I'm really disappointed with Sprint on this. I've been a loyal Sprint customer for over two decades and now they're not coming through for me.

• 13. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Invictusbeach0 Newbie

i was having this same problem. but it wwasnt with the iphone, it was the galaxy SII. i would track my daughter, and it always said she was several miles from where she said she was. i did the same thing and tracked her while she was sitting next to me, and i got the same address that i always got with her location, that was several miles away. i called sprint and complained, and they told me it was me and my daughter, we didnt know how to use the feature. so i removed this feature. how fricken hard is it to click locate? how can i do that wrong? sprint has turned into a joke, and i cant wait until my contract is up.

• 14. Re: Sprint Family Locator Does Not Work Properly with iPhone!
    Lara36 Newbie

In the last several days I've received family locator notes telling me my daughter either can't be located or she's miles away, when in fact she's in her room texting on her phone.  Several days last week she was at a friend's home in another county and the family locator told me she couldn't be located.  This application is truly worthless.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points