8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 7:18 PM by Penard RSS

"Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!

Penard Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Why am I getting this message over and over again? Since the Samsung Galaxy II (Epic 4G) upgrade, I'm getting this all the time. I tried to remove the Sprint ID app, but it won't. I can't "Disable" it either since that button is not highlighted. Force stop and clear data don't help. When I called technical service at Sprint, their only solution is "hard reset" -- I don't want to do that. Any suggestions anyone?

• 1. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    Penard Valued Member

Does no one have a solution, other than factory reset? That's all I get from technical support when I call. Surely there is another way...

• 2. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    bill9999 Regular Visitor

I got rid of the Sprint id error on my wifes phone without a reset. She was running the stock ICS launcher. I went into app settings. then did a force stop on the Launcher. When I exited it popped up a box asking which launcher I wanted to use. I picked TWLauncher and the error went away. I was able to get into the sprint id app, download ID's and switch between them without any errors.

• 3. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    Penard Valued Member

How can I tell which launcher my phone is using? I went into apps, forced closed "Launcher", exited, but did not get a box asking which launcher I wanted to use. When I tap "Sprint ID" the phone goes to black, freezes, and then up pops the "Unfortunately, Sprint ID has stopped" message.

• 4. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    ChristydaGeek Social Care

Petnard1,

So far, the only solution to this issue that I can find is the hard reset option, which I know you do not want to do. If you're concerned about losing things, you can always download a free backup app which will pull all your information over to the SD card for you to reinstall after the reset.

If you want to try bill9999's suggestion, you'll probably have to grab another launcher, judging from the issue that you're having.  It appears that you've only got the stock Samsung launcher on your device. You can download them from the app store by searching for with the keyword 'launcher' and most I've seen are free.  Doing this should enable you to select the new launcher and hopefully install the sprint ID app which will resolve the error.

Keep us posted on your progress!

*Christy

Sprint Social Care

• 5. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    bill9999 Regular Visitor

If it has the 5 dots near the bottom of the screen it is the touchwiz launcher otherwise it is the stock ice cream sandwich launcher. In the applications they are just called Launcher and TWLauncher. Force stop whichever one you are using. You may need to clear the defaults too. you have to be on all applications to see it. I wouldn't wipe the phone. I called tech support and they couldn't figure it out either. I played around with it for 5 minutes and fixed it myself. I don't think they give the support any training or a phone to look at while they are trying to help you.

• 6. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    modalpopup Newbie

bill9999 is right - I had the same issue a few months ago and found that switching back to TWLauncher temporarily prevented the errors from popping up. I don't recall the specific steps I took but it probably involved switching to TWLauncher, rebooting, using Sprint ID and then switching over to a new ID pack.  I might have also just switched back to stock launcher, but the errors did go away once I went temporarily back to TWLauncher.

• 7. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    dew4959 Newbie

I was getting the same issue and then started messing around with the Sprint ID's.  Not sure I'd recommend that because it really hosed up the appearance of the phone.  I'll tell you what I did but I'm not 100% that it was why I stopped getting the error.

I added a new Sprint ID, but (and this is a big but), it changed the appearance of all of the icons, screen layouts, etc.  I messed around with it for a couple of days and even went to the store.  Finally I switched to the Samsung ID and my old configurations came back and I no longer got the Sprint ID error message.  Not sure if it was some sort of corruption issue or not, but that's how mine worked.

Like I said, try it at your own risk, because I cannot say with certainty that adding an ID and switching back and forth is what ultimately fixed the problem.

• 8. Re: "Unfortunately Sprint ID has stopped working" keeps appearing. Help!
    Penard Valued Member

I think bill9999 has the best response. I went into the apps and forced closed and cleared  "Launcher". Then all of a sudden, I was now able to tap on Sprint ID and it opened (previously it would only freeze and the "Unfortunately..." message would appear. I made sure the ID was still set to Samsung ID. I didn't even have to reboot. The "Unfortunately ... " message has not appeared. I turned the phone off and rebooted this morning, and so far, no annoying "Unfortunately, Sprint ID has stopped working" message has returned.

And to think, 2 tech folks at Sprint over the phone, and 1 in person, all wanted me to "factory reset" -- this seems to be the only advice they know to say. And when with another phone a few years ago, I took that advice, the problem didn't go away anyway.

So, don't let tech push you around to "factory reset" -- push them to come up with an alternate solution. Maybe "force close" Launcher won't work for others, but it did for me.

Thanks for the tips.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points