This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 1:13 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

HTC EVO™ 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6

Enhancements/Fixes   

- Security updates

Important Notes

- Software version is: 5.07.651.6

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days

- Refer to the HTC EVO 4G Software Updates blog for install instructions  

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - fixed broken link

• 1. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    fireguy_6364 Master

? any ideas on if that was all they did? you know how it usually is...they say they only did one thing but magically 3 other things were also taken care of yada yada yada lol

• 2. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Levi4u Master

I agree, we need complete release notes as we have been discussing on the other "BEEP" thread where changes were made but everybody is clueless as to why our phones are now beeping when making a call or getting notifications while on a call.(only took 4 months for us to figure out why, and how to stop them. LOL) Someone has to know of all the minor changes that are made and the release notes should outline them all.

On another note, I'm actually surprised that they even are still pushing out updates to the OG EVO, Would be nice if one of them actually addressed the "LOW MEMORY" issue that was introduced in one of them way back many updates ago, it took my great phone and made it useless IMO as I constantly had to remove apps to even continue to use the phone.

• 3. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    fireguy_6364 Master

to be honest i only had the low memory deal a couple times..had it pop up maybe a week or so ago but it was due to the FB app taking up a shart load of space..yet i dont even use it..i only kept it updated. get rid of the updates and wouldnt you know it i no longer have any memory issues. cruising at my usual 100mb of available space.

i remember back when they kicked out a security update for this phone..along with it unbeknownst to anyone it also had a wifi udpate that took away the use of wireless N....the uproar from that was insane lol..i'll download this when i get home on my wifi if my phone is able to find it. if not i'll eventually get it when i get it *shrug*. i wouldnt mind seeing the sence reload issue getting resolved..then again its still there on the 3D and even on the LTEVO from what i have read..so i dont think this is a huge one on their list of fixins

• 4. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Eddieshekere Newbie

I'm reluctant to download for no good reason (cuz I don't have 20MB to spare on this skimpy thing)

- my phone pinged me to update today, so thought I'd do a little research prior to accepting...

Here's what I've been able to find out-

"The infamous HTC EVO 4G, .... is, according to Sprint's official changelog, getting an update that fixes an issue with multiple GMail Account syncing

as well as an issue with calendar event editing... and nothing else.

However, Engadget has managed to grab a screen shot from an internal Sprint document that also acknowledges fixes of that pesky 30 frame per second cap

and an issue with the GPS rebooting. As always, take these with a grain of salt, but if the EVO's 30fps cap really is getting removed, at least one of my dreams has just been granted."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/09/22/updates-for-htc-evo-4g-and-hero-now-rolling-out-bug-fixes-abound/

WHOOPS!!  This post looked recent, but it's actually TWO YRS OLD!  Doh!!

Still researching!

Message was edited by: EdNRox

• 5. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Eddieshekere Newbie

Did you know, dshoem01, that your link for the 4G Software Updates blog is a dead link???

- R

• 6. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Crys0879 Newbie

This update ruined my phone. My WiFi says "Error" and doesn't connect, my 4G says "Unable to start" and doesn't connect. I call Sprint to ask why this happened and the only answer I got was to factory restore my phone, which deleted all my contacts and paid apps. Then I'm told to go into a store to have them fix it, we all know in store will factory restore just like she had me do over the phone, then she goes on to say that it's HTC's fault and has me call them. So I call and I follow instructions to do a bunch of **** and guess what, it fixed NOTHING! So now I'm stuck wit slow piece of **** 3G until I go into the store and probably have to argue in order to recieve a new phone.

• 7. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Crys0879 wrote:

This update ruined my phone. My WiFi says "Error" and doesn't connect, my 4G says "Unable to start" and doesn't connect. I call Sprint to ask why this happened and the only answer I got was to factory restore my phone, which deleted all my contacts and paid apps. Then I'm told to go into a store to have them fix it, we all know in store will factory restore just like she had me do over the phone, then she goes on to say that it's HTC's fault and has me call them. So I call and I follow instructions to do a bunch of **** and guess what, it fixed NOTHING! So now I'm stuck wit slow piece of **** 3G until I go into the store and probably have to argue in order to recieve a new phone.

It's unlikely the update did it, more likely its a coincidence with a hardware failure in your device. Source: not everyone or even many people, have the issue. I've seen it happen personally with all sorts of devices, the EVO included, for years, it's nothing special with the software update.

A service and repair store can also replace the rear housing. On the HTC EVO 4G the housing contains all of the antenna. Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G and 4G WiMax are all in that rear housing.

• 8. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    fireguy_6364 Master

as long as you saved your contacts to google and not just to the phone then you can re sync your phone and they will all come right back..as for the apps go into the google play store hit menu-my apps-slide the screen to the left to "ALL" and there is EVERY app you have ever downloaded under your google account..if you payed for an app then guess what..you still own it and can just download it right back without any issues. if the 4G and wifi issues happened due to the update then odds are it was due to some of the files getting jibbered up durring the download..i downloaded this last night over wifi and havent seen any issues what so ever...if the FR DIDNT fix your wifi and 4G issues then its a safe bet its something else causing it.

Crys0879 wrote:

• 9. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Crys0879 Newbie

Thanks!

• 10. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Justsayin2 Newbie

I've been having that issue when my phone tries to update certain apps....does it resolve itself? My phone just updated yesterday. Voicemail updated today & that's a whole other mess!

• 11. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    fireguy_6364 Master

there are a few apps that have had issues from the get go. the facebook app was one of them. it would zap your memory like no tomorrow even though you dont use it..ditto with the youtube app. personally i clear the cache and data on any of the apps i dont use that are built in...uninstall the updates...then disable them..just be careful which apps you disable.

nova<~that game they hit us with that we couldnt get rid of

blockbuster

telenav

etc

• 12. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    pops612 Newbie

My phone was trying to do this update and it broke.

My phone is now unusable at this point.

I've never had a problem with an update prior to this one. I just removed the battery and turned the phone back on and it goes to the same screen, which displays a progress bar that never moves beyond the first quarter of the entire progress bar.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 13. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    JEBrossard Newbie

Update worked fine for me, no issues.  Nice to see continued support on this device!

It seems the update also contains new radio firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671395

• 14. Re: 2/14 - HTC EVO 4G Software Update - 5.07.651.6
    Saffyreivy Newbie

I installed the update and immediately my phone started to give me errors. All of my applications are gone from the menu and no longer accesible. They do show up in my applications list in settings and I can still uninstall them, but I can not open them. My gmail account isn't syncing, facebook is not syncing and my gadgets say "Problem loading gadget". Reboots and battery resets are not effective.  I don't want to have to resort to a restore and then spend hours reconfiguring all my settings, putting back all my photos and videos, and downloading all my apps again. Is there anything else I can do?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...