3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 2:58 PM by GeorgeELMSNY RSS

unlocking iphone5 for international use terms

yo_she Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone, I tried unlocking my iphone5 today for international by calling the international and tech team. I will be travelling overseas for business for a few weeks and would like to have data available for me, however I was told that unlocking my phone would not be possible unless it is past the 18 month policy. I read on other discussions that unlocking your phone would be possible after 90 days, which I am hitting my 90 day.

Also the tech I was on the phone with told me that if I wanted to get access to data or internet, she told me to go to a cafe and find wifi there. I didn't get any information about data rates or other solutions other than go to a cafe and find WiFi. Has the policy for unlocking iphone5 after 90 days changed? Can anyone let me know if they have recently unlocked their phone and hear about their experiences about this?

I am a little disappointed in how sprint tech said there was no way in unlocking my phone until 18 months, which makes me reconsider if I would want to switch carriers if this is the case since I would be traveling for work quite often.

• 1. Re: unlocking iphone5 for international use terms
    GeorgeELMSNY Social Care

yo_she,

I have listed below the requirements that must be met in order for devices to be unlocked for international use:

• Account Spending Limit customers are not eligible for GSM international services currently.
    • Device must be active on the account for 90 days or more.
    • Only one unlocked device per subscriber Service Agreement.

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

• 2. Re: unlocking iphone5 for international use terms
    yo_she Newbie

Thanks George,

I noted the requirements for international use that you mentioned above. For Account Spending Limit, is that something that can't be removed for iPhone 5 users? Under my setting there's no option of opting out of that service.

Also my requirements for being active on account has passed the 90 days and this is my only device I have on me. I was just told by the tech that I could not unlock my iphone because I have to have my account active for 18 months for my phone to be unlocked, but others had their phones unlocked with no problem. She also didn't mention anything about the ASL service as well when I was on the phone with her earlier today.

Any reason?

• 3. Re: unlocking iphone5 for international use terms
    GeorgeELMSNY Social Care

yo_she,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Were you still having this concern?

I do apologize. The ASL or Account Spending Limit is not something that you can opt out of or removed by our customers.

ASL customers are moved out of ASL status and allowed additional lines of service based on:

• Account must be open for a minimum of 18 months.
      • Account cannot currently be past due.
      • Account must show positive pay history over the previous 12 months (no more than 3 collection entries).
      • Last credit class upgrade occurred at least 9 months ago.

If you met the previously listed criteria, I would speak with or our international dept to have the device unlocked > http://bit.ly/PgakRo

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...