1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2014 9:25 AM by SprintCare RSS

HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music

apalapala Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I visited a corporate Sprint store today (Monday, June 3, 2013) to explain a problem I had over the weekend with my HTC One -- overheating and very, very hot to the touch. I left the store with these strange instructions: to never download *any* apps from Google Play Marketplace, do not stream *any* music with the phone, and do *not* store 22 GB of data on a phone advertised to hold 32Gb.

I visited my Sprint Store in Tampa today, started by explaining that on Saturday in Orlando near Disney, my phone started heating up. The metal housing was very hot to the touch, and the "Battery Widget Reborn" app I had listed the temp greater than 115-degrees Fahrenheit (usually never higher than 95, 85 coming out of sleep). I told them the temperature readout declined and the phone felt cooler when I turned it off, or put the phone into airplane mode, and later when I drove away from the Disney area toward Orlando. The problem was not resolved by a reboot. When I took the phone out of airplane mode or turned it on, the phone started getting hotter... about 5 degrees per minute.

I requested that they check the phone and make sure that I wasn't dealing with a safety problem and not just a one-day fluke. 

The first tech I dealt with said she had to go to lunch, described her new diet for me, and told me that she wasn't sure where the power button is on the HTC One because they change the location of the power button so much on these phones. But, she was friendly and listened to my problem. She said it would take about an hour to review and I could come back.

I came back an hour later, the second tech came to me, and told me that the problem is that I was using 22Gb out of the internal 32Gb for apps. I told him that most of it was actually music files, and he disagreed with me and told me that I'm wrong. More on that later. Then, he had me talk to a man who's name tag read "Assistant Store Manager." That man told me that because they could not replicate the problem, there's nothing he can do for me.

I explained my only intent was for the phone to be looked at to make sure there is not a chronic safety concern... I don't want the phone to explode in my ear, or something. He said that's not possible, and not to worry. Here are his suggested courses of action:

1. Do not use 22Gb out of 32Gb.
The second tech showed me that I am using 22Gb out of 32Gb, and that's why the phone overheated. He said it's just like a computer, I can't fill it with that many apps. The manager also reiterated this point -- you cannot fill the phone's internal storage with 22Gb of information. I explained to the tech that most of it is music files. He said that's impossible, the phone streams music. I explained that I had used a USB cable to transfer the music mp3 files to the phone. He said that I am mistaken. I showed him that the list of thousands of songs was listed under "On Device Only", but he said that I was incorrect. He showed me under "downloaded apps" that in the bar that says "Phone Storage" that the phone contained 22 Gb of apps. I tried to explain to him that indicates the phone's current total storage, not only referring to only apps. He said I was wrong. I invited him to plug the phone into a computer, and look at the storage's total file system, and see for himself that much of that is music. He refused.
2. Battery Widget Reborn probably caused it too
The manager said that because Battery Widget Reborn is an app that didn't come with the phone, it cannot be trusted. He then advised me to *never* download *any* apps from the Google play marketplace, because they might not correctly work with my phone causing the problems I described. I told him that I didn't install any new apps this weekend, and that I'd been using Battery Widget Reborn for mostly the entire time I'd had the phone, and never had a problem. The tech said apps like Battery Widget Reborn and FlickFolio probably caused battery problems, because he'd never heard of FlickFolio. That leads me to the next piece of advice...

3. Don't fill the device's storage:
The tech and manager both pointed out the device is like a computer, that I cannot fill it with apps or music or I would have problems. I again tried to explain that some of that storage is music (without any files, first turned on, the storage shows about 6Gb full). Regardless, I pointed out that there was no disclaimer when I purchased the phone that said I was not allowed to fill 22Gb out of 32 or the phone wouldn't function. They said that doesn't matter, just don't do it. I shouldn't use any non-preinstalled HTC apps. Even apps by Google can cause problems. Which leads me to the next advice...

4. Don't use Google Music.
The tech said that Google Music is only capable of streaming, not playing music files locally. I explained that I actually had MP3 files saved on the phone. He said that's not possible. The only way that Google Play Music function is to stream music from the cloud, and that's probably why I had overheating problems.

5. All HTC Phones have battery problems.
I told the manager that the tech had just told me all HTC phones have battery problems, and said if that it's a known issue that all HTC phones have problems, why would they even sell it in the first place. I asked if he would exchange it for another manufacturer's phone if it's well known by the repair tech that HTC phones have battery problems like this. The manager would not disagree with but would not confirm that all HTC phones have battery problems, but he said that all phones could be expected to overheat. He said that since I had the phone for a month and a half, no exchanges or refunds would be given.

I told the manager that I think it's suspicious to be instructed to never download apps from the Google play marketplace, to never store music, and to never store anything on the internal storage bedsides what came on the phone.  What's the point of having a phone, I incredulously questioned.

He explained that the device isn't just a phone, that it's a little computer and it's doing a lot more than just being a telephone. At that time, I felt engaging in such semantics was a little pompous jab at me, but maybe I misunderstood. I explained that I said "phone" idiomatically -- that I know that the device is a computing-capable device that includes a method of making calls referred to as a telephone, not that I believed the device was "only a phone" because I said "phone".

Here were my resolution options:
1. I've had the phone for more than a month and a half, I cannot switch phones under contract, even though they told me all HTC phones have battery problems
2. I can have a refurbished model provided under insurance at my deductible's expense under Total Equipment Protection if I want to.
3. They can document my problem for later if it happens again
4. They can wipe the phone back to stock

I opted to have the phone wiped back to stock on the spot.  I told the manager that my problem is that I don't want any monetary resolution, I wanted the phone to be looked at from a safety standpoint. He said he would notate my account as such.

Beyond the poor customer service I received today (being told that I'm lying that the phone cannot store and play music locally, etc), I'm very concerned that the official Sprint advice is that I cannot add songs to  my phone or install any applications that didn't come on the phone from HTC. What, then, is the point of a smartphone if you cannot listen to music locally or streaming, or download any Google Play apps (even some of the ones written by Google), because I risk it being burning-hot-to-the-touch. Also, the Sprint repair employee told me that *all* HTCs have battery problems so don't worry.  Really? Does HTC endorse this advice?

• 1. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fireguy_6364 Master

how many apps you have on your phone will NOT affect it a single bit...how many you have RUNNING in the background will though...those guys didnt know squat..if there is another repair facility i would for sure take it there..dont download anything from the google play store? sure some of the apps in there cant really be trusted but thats up to the phone owner to read what all it will have access to and to read the comments from others to see if its had issues or not.

also worse case scenario boot the phone back up into safe mode and if the phone over heats again then its a phone issue and not something being caused by a 3rd party app

• 2. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fireguy_6364 Master

im running the HTC One and havent had any issues at all with the battery.

also the next time you feel the phone getting hot try to jot down what all youre doing with it at that time..charging while playing a game? if you can try to pull up settings-applicatins-running and see what all is running inthe background...if to many things are happening at once it can always cause the battery to heat up..

• 3. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    apalapala Newbie

I did explain to the sprint store employees the exact circumstances. Nothing changed about my operation of the phone except the location, being near Disney on a special event weekend. I told them that I thought it was an issue of the phone seeking a signal competing with other phones, since the phone began to cool down when switched to airplane mode or moving outside the event area toward downtown (as I mentioned).

Nothing else changed about the operation of my phone or how I'd been using it. I loaded the music right after I got the phone on launch day a month and a half ago. I don't think that the amount of space used a month and a half ago impacts the heat of the phone suddenly on Saturday. After the phone was wiped by the tech today, there is no discernible speed improvement from having a completely fresh flash of the software to when I had 22Gb space used. And as I said, 6 Gb is the phone in its virgin state, so really I had about 16 Gb of actual music, and, as I mentioned, I perceived no difference in phone speed or responsiveness.

I was complaining about a sudden, acute, new onset of extreme case heat with no other software changes.

The only difference to predicate the sudden and acute onset of extreme case heat was where I was using the phone -- around a lot of other people. My theory is that the phone couldn't get a signal being around all those other sprint customers, and its radios just banged away until the phone's metal exterior radiated that heat from the equipment to my pants pocket and skin.

And I told them that. I told them I didn't think it was right how incredibly hot the device got, to where I would touch others and have them wince and say "Ow!", and I was worried that no one had ever taken an HTC One into a large event with many people trying to use their phone like that before.

All they could do was blame me for downloading any apps from the Google Play Store, and telling me that it's impossible to load mp3 files onto the phone. And for that, I fault them and their customer service today.

• 4. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    apalapala Newbie

He tried to explain that I shouldn't keep multiple apps open in Android. I told him that I know that already, and I always close apps. The assistant manager, after giving me this advice, didn't know how to display current apps on the HTC One. I had to show him. He advised me to do a thing he didn't know how to do himself, and I had to show him how.

• 5. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fireguy_6364 Master

its always possible...they are doing quite a bit of work down there right now with the towers and whatnot..as for the music..psh..i have about 1000 songs on my phone currently and not a single issue..if anything you could always push your music onto the icloud or whatever they call it to free up space..aside from that they are already seeming like a bunch of repair failures off the bat lol..

• 6. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    smotrs Master

Sadly, I would never go back to that store again if I were you.

Everything you describe is completely wrong on their end. It sounds as if they need to be properly trained on not only the use of Android but the phones themselves. Hopefully one of the admins here will see this, maybe even contact you about which store and names of individuals you talked to and maybe they can run it up the latter for it to be addressed as it sounds as if they are completely mistaken. Not sure what can be done about it, but I wouldn't go back.

There's no reason you can't run multiple apps, store a ton of music or apps on the phone, stream music, or anything else we use these phones with.

What I do wonder is if maybe the phone was in a situation where it was going in and out of signal. This could cause the phone to start generating allot of heat as it's constantly looking for a signal and draining the battery. But you didn't mention anything of the sort so I don't know if that's an issue or not.

• 7. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fireguy_6364 Master

the key here though is that it cooled down when you switched it into airplane mode..seeing as how it shut down your data and voice connection and caused it to start cooling back down im willing to go out on a limb and say it was lack of reception/data and the phone was trying like a mofo to get that signal.

• 8. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    CitationVwings Regular Visitor

To isolate if there is a battery issue, type *#*#4636#*#* and run the battery test. Otherwise a hard reset and restore has fixed the issue in most devices. That seems to be a commn issue in devices running torrent files, 3rd party P2P games and other apps

• 9. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    pittsdiver Newbie

Getting similar mumbo jumbo.  My phone went from fully charged to dead in an hour and would not recharge.  I took it to spring store and was told they were upgrading towers and that was causing excess roaming, killing the battery.  

After the store tech try to recharge, I was told the battery was dead and needed to be replaced,  either pay $50 to sprint or send back to HTC.   new battery was installed and died a bout 2 hours latter.   This time I was told it may be too many apps, let it recharge overnite.   Still without a charged battery and have not had time to get back to sprint.

• 10. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    smotrs Master

I assume you don't have insurance, hence the $50 charge.

It's not too many apps, although, it could be too many processes running together with syncing, etc.. that is causing the excessive drain. My recommendation based on what I'm reading is to do a Hard Reset so it's like brand new. Then see how long the battery lasts using pretty much a stock phone. Then slowly reinstall what you had installed paying attention to battery drain or usage.

If you don;t want to do a Hard Reset, at least do a boot to Safe Mode and run it for a while to see how long the battery lasts. Pay special attention to your connectivity as that can still drain the battery. Assuming connectivity is good, you should get close to a days worth (24 hrs) of battery time.

• 11. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fireguy_6364 Master

smotrs wrote:

I assume you don't have insurance, hence the $50 charge.

It's not too many apps, although, it could be too many processes running together with syncing, etc.. that is causing the excessive drain. My recommendation based on what I'm reading is to do a Hard Reset so it's like brand new. Then see how long the battery lasts using pretty much a stock phone. Then slowly reinstall what you had installed paying attention to battery drain or usage.

If you don;t want to do a Hard Reset, at least do a boot to Safe Mode and run it for a while to see how long the battery lasts. Pay special attention to your connectivity as that can still drain the battery. Assuming connectivity is good, you should get close to a days worth (24 hrs) of battery time.

with medium to moderate use this can be pulled off easily. i hit close to that with medium heavy usage

• 12. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    A_RIDE_4_EVER Newbie

I will say that I have had some heating issues but under specific conditions, I use my { phone with a tiny computer}..lol  while driving mainly with an app called torque,  I have noticed that on some days it gets hotter than others specifically when there are network issues. It will get toasty while charging and using it at the same time. This isn't much different than my samsung Epic 4g I had. It would actually get so hot that it would stop charging.  Its obvious that phones have limitations and that the more you run them the hotter they will get. It's like the desktop PC or laptop,  hammer it with work and the CPU heats up and the fan starts humming.  What ever these sprint reps were trying to pull it was most likely because they were complete idiots or they thought they could pull one over on you. Either way i'm not sure I would have left it alone and probably would have taken it up the chain of command.

• 13. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    SPDEDON Regular Visitor

I happened upon your post and have had this issue from time-to-time. Go to your task manager. I have arranged my icons so that task manager is one of the first visible on my "desktop" on the phone for easy access.  Once task manager is open, you'll probably have a slew of running programs.  Press End (in the bottom, left hand corner) to close the open programs that have been running in the background on the phone.  I use Opera as the On-Phone browser.  It seems to suck up a lot of "juice."  After you close the un-needed programs, your phone will be able to "calm down" and cool down.

• 14. Re: HTC One overheating; Sprint: Never install apps, music
    fantumgal@yahoo.com Newbie

I also have an HTC One. Had the same problem. I resolved it by installing a Cell Shield which manages EMFs emitted. Now phone gets warm BUT not hot.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...