This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 2:30 PM by JudgeGee RSS

Unlock phone after contract

jithesh Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I checked with customer care on chat but they said they don't have accurate information. I will have fulfilled by 2 year contract without any late payments.

I believe I have been a good customer to Sprint, let me know if otherwise.

Will Sprint unlock my HTC EVO 3D phone for domestic use since I would be out of contract in 2 weeks ?

Regards,

Jithesh M

• 1. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    JudgeGee Social Care

Jithesh

Thanks for the question.  I want to make sure that when you use the term “unlocked” that you are actually referring to the ability to bring the phone to any compatible network when you have fulfilled your contractual and financial obligations.  If you meant the term in another way please let us know so that we may amend the advice that we have provided.

As long as your contract for that particular device is fulfilled and your account is in good standing, the HTC EVO 3D is yours and you will be able to go to any cellular carrier that uses a compatible network about gaining service on it. 

Just because you are coming up on the end of your contract doesn't mean that you have to leave.  What can we do to help you stay? 

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

• 2. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    jithesh Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to unlock my device completely so that it can be used on any compatible network. Could you please let me know the unlock code or the process to get it?

My previous attempt to get it unlocked through customer care failed.

Regards,

Jithesh M

• 3. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    JudgeGee Social Care

Jithesh,

Thanks for the clarification.  In this country the phones cost so much less because they are heavily subsidized.  That’s why the pricing of devices is so much less in this country as opposed to similar phones in Canada or Europe.  As a result, phones may not be unlocked/rooted by legal means for use on domestic carrier networks within the U.S.  Thank you.

Sprint Social Care

Chris McGregor

• 4. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    jithesh Regular Visitor

Then what's the point of saying that the phone is mine after contract?

As for subsidizing US customers pay more on call/data charges compared to Europe.

So If you give me a phone for 200 or 300 dollars less then the market price you would have already recovered more than that using the high monthly bills, that why US carriers are able to subsidize the phone and still make lot of profit. So since I am eventually paying off the discounted price with the monthly 2 year bills I think after the contract US consumers should have the right to have phone unlocked.

AT&T also offers subsidized phones but they unlock it after the contract. Many of my friends have done it through AT&T.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=Uo0t-0mdIv0

So why not Sprint? Is it really about subsidized phones or about making as much money as you can from the people ?

Regards,

Jithesh M

• 5. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    JudgeGee Social Care

Jithesh,

I read your post and believe that we are using the term ”unlock” in two completely different ways.

You do own the phone when you are done with your contractual obligation and can bring it to a compatible network. 

The distinctions between unlocked meaning rooted or jail-broken versus unlocked meaning “the ability to bring the phone to any compatible network when you have fulfilled your contractual and financial obligations,” are two very different things.  I do apologize if there was any confusion.

We do allow you to bring your device to another carrier when your contractual obligations are successfully completed.  We do not root the phone for you.

I hope this post clarifies any confusion and assists you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

• 6. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    jithesh Regular Visitor

OK. Thanks for clarifying because I am a bit confused with this. I know that with AT&T we can ask them to unlock and once they unlock we can just use it with any compatible carrier. I guess Sprint works in a different way.

So are you saying that my phone is not locked to Sprint and that I can use it with any other compatible carrier? Do I need to contact Sprint if I have to use it with another compatible carrier? Would you please clarify the process for using my phone with a different carrier - both international and domestic.

Regards,

Jithesh M

• 7. Re: Unlock phone after contract
    JudgeGee Social Care

Jithesh,

Our process of allowing a customer to bring their device elsewhere when their contractual obligations have been completed is very easy.  The problem that you will run in to is that most major cellular providers work off of different networks that utilize different internal technologies, so a model phone that works for Sprint or any other major national carrier probably won’t be compatible with other networks (even though they may carry the same model phone made by the same manufacturer).  It would be like trying to play a CD in your mp3 player.  They both are music but are different technological formats..

Once again, you are free to bring your phone elsewhere but you would have to find a compatible network before you do so because they run off of different technologies.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Media

Michael C.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points