6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2013 12:15 PM by Stilts88 RSS

How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I've been with Sprint for a month ->

I get spotty service at my condo including none on the bottom floor where the restaurant is located. Took two hours to send a text to another Sprint user.

I get no service in downtown Nashville, couldn't call my Dad Saturday night and had to use a friend's T-Mobile phone.

At work, I get no service. Have to use wi-fi and imessage. Looking at third party voip apps so I can communicate.

Is there anyway I can force my force to roam on a network which can actually provide service to their users? It's obvious Sprint cannot do that and is unwilling to do that.

• 1. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Stilts88 Social Care

NashvilleSprintUser,

This is a great question I’d like to know myself. This link http://bit.ly/14sW8It will give you step by step directions. Let me know if you have any trouble with this. Here to help.

Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team

• 2. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Valued Member

No I mean I want to force it to completely.

Because even if I can connect  to Sprint I still get timeouts, can't make calls, etc. I want to force roam on a network where I can make calls and send texts.

• 3. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Stilts88 Social Care

NashvilleSprintUser,

Roaming only or force roaming is no longer an available setting on the iPhone. This setting forces the phone to use a roaming network even if the Sprint Network is available. Putting a phone in force roaming mode prevents it from connecting to Sprint services and roaming charges may apply depending on plan. This would also violate Sprint terms and result in possible termination. To avoid possible fees an Airave would be a possible resolution, which is like a personal tower for you. I want to rule out a few things before going that route. I am showing coverage in Nashville, is this where you are located? This has been happening the whole time since you signed with Sprint? Do you get any errors when connecting to Sprint Network? To pinpoint, may I have zip and cross streets?

Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team

• 4. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Valued Member

Jessica please see:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/590294#590294

I've been with Sprint a little over one month. I never had these issues with Verizon, which I moved to Sprint due to cost. However, now I constantly am receiving dropped calls, not able to send texts, no service, etc.

Main St in East Nashville 37206 - TN. I don't get service in most of my building. An example is the on the first floor and the surrounding outdoor area, I exchanged numbers with another Sprint user. Our phone calls did not go through and my text message was received two hours later.

Downtown Nashville - Major downtown Metro. I roam here, usually or get very little bars. I've had to use other friend's phones to even make phone calls.

9009 Carothers Pkwy Franklin TN 37067

I don't get service here, if I am able to pick up something. It's 1 bar. It's funny considering my coworker sitting next to me with Verizon has full 4G LTE service. I can also see the door to the outside from here.

I've attached a photo for your consideration (taken atm):

Here's an example of my 3g speeds on Cool Springs Blvd in a supposedly 'great' coverage area.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/9s5vs7.jpg

Here's an example of where I am connected to LTE In Cool Springs and the riproaring fast speeds. I'm outside, on a clear sunny day, in the middle of Cool Springs: http://oi44.tinypic.com/1fuuiq.jpg

Here's my friend, on Verizon, in the middle of a warehouse: http://oi42.tinypic.com/11l4vev.jpg

So basically:

Work - I spend 9 hours a day here, 45 hours a week. I get service very very rarely and if I do it's less < 1 bar. And I'm not far inside, I am looking at the door < 20 ft away.

jessica:

please let me know what we need to do to move forward. this level of service is unacceptable and i think you can agree. If I cannot receive service at work or barely at home, what am I paying for? I need a phone to use now, not future upgrades.

I'm literally having to connect to my companies wi-fi and use iphone free talk apps over wifi to make phone calls.

Can you contact me and please discuss what arrangements can be made up to and including departure from Sprint? I think you can agree, not receiving service where I spend 90% of my time is unacceptable.

• 5. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Valued Member

Here's a screenshot of me attempting to get a speed test at my chair at 9009 carothers pkwy franklin tn, heart of cool springs supposedly great service area.

Please tell me what i am paying for? i would like to know.

Jessica(sprint). Can you call me and we can discuss options? if sprint can't provide me reasonable service (and nobody would agree this is reasonable), i would like to discuss options.

Here's an example of a speed test I just took while at my desk at work, a few feet from the door, in a 'good' area (note: my verizon coworkers have access to their network here).

http://oi44.tinypic.com/dbsjfr.jpg

• 6. Re: How do I force the iPhone 5 to roam on a network I get service?
    Stilts88 Social Care

Nashville SprintUser,

I understand your frustration. Thank you for all the links and information. I have sent you a PM, so that we can find resolution to the siuation.

Jessica D

Sprint Social Care Team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points