1 2 3 4 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2014 6:58 PM by muradshahid RSS

Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !

PCX3 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I am a long time Sprint customer.

I am also amazed at how I continue to allow them to abuse me with this TEP c-rap.

Each time I purchase a phone it is added to my plan to 'protect' my phone.

Each time I try to use it I get the usual "Please pay a deductible that is unbelievable".

My suggestion is to do as I will soon be doing.
I'm going to move all of my phones to another service.

I may not get any better service but I am sick of the way Sprint has treated me over the years.

The most recent 'Online Chat' session, the CS person told me that my phone would be repaired FREE if I would take it into the local Sprint store.

When I arrived, at the store (one with a repair section).  They told me, I had to send my phone in by filing a claim.

Of course the claim will replace my phone but the deductible is $200. (The phone was only $150 when purchased 6 months ago).

So after a wasted trip to the Sprint store and a wasted claim process, I'm fed up with Sprint.

Why can't they offer a 'great' protection plan or rename there plan to "Total Equipment Rip-Off Plan".

I know, Best Buy offers a similar plan to their customers that is really a "Total Protection". (WITH NO DEDUCTIBLE)

Maybe everyone should buy phones from Best Buy and boycott Sprint Stores.

Each time I go to the Sprint Store I'm leave with the thought... "There is no intelligent life here"

It may not get Sprints attention but posting on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ how badly Sprint treats it's customers will save some from the same fate as each of us endures.

• 1. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

PCX3,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I apologize for any inconvenience.  The cell phone insurance provider is Asurion (they are for most carriers that offer insurance) and the deductible is set by them not Sprint depending on the retail price of the phone.  When you purchase a phone in exchange for a 2 year agreement you aren't paying retail price for the device you are getting a discount and Total Equipment protection will come in to place when anything happens to your phone that is outside the manufacturer warranty.  For example, if your device gets lost/stolen instead of paying retail price for another device you can file a claim and pay the deductible which is cheaper than the retail price of the phone.  If there is damage to the phone outside of the manufacturer warranty, then you can take it to a store and if they are able to fix it they will at no additional cost.  If they can't that's when you would have to go through your insurance.  There are other alternate solutions in place such as pre-owned devices on our www.Sprint.com/phones  If you want to find out more information on your insurance then visit www.phoneclaim.com

Dania

Social Media Team

• 2. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    PCX3 Regular Visitor

Yes, I know how it works.

As I said, I am a long time Sprint user.

The problem is, that Asurion charges exorbitant rates for deductibles.

I think it is sold to most customers as a 'protection plan' and when they use it, they find it is similar to the mafia's protection plans.  They 'hold you up' to use it.

Charging a deductible that is 30% to 50% of a devices replacement cost is taking advantage of a customer that is in a difficult situation.

I was told by one of your CS reps that it is like your auto insurance...

First of all, most auto insurances allow you to decide on a deductible.

The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly payments.

If the auto insurance deductible was 50% of the cost of a car replacement, no one would buy it or use it.  Can you imagine having a fender bender on your BMW and the insurance asking you to pay a $30,000.00 deductible to fix $10,000.00 damage?

Or the insurance company offering to replace your 6 months old BMW with a 'refurbished' one if you would pay the deductible after a claim.

What use is the insurance if it is cheaper to buy another phone (with a different provider) and get a new phone at a lower cost than the insurance deductible?

Also, if Best Buy can sell phones (with insurance) with NO DEDUCTIBLE!!!.  why would anyone want to buy phones from Sprint or any other carrier using Asurion?

I certainly won't be making that mistake again.

As part of the Social Media Team, surely you understand the damage this type of 'information sharing' will cause.  I'm sure you have (or will have) your hands full trying to clean up this type of dissatisfaction from customers.

• 3. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    JamesDavidT Newbie

HI, I had my  phone go to junk status, mt total protection had just a 100 dect . i called them and they sent me a brand new phone overnite express, i had it the very next morning,

everything worked like a charm. I dont know if its the area most live in  that  are getting bad service but i have been with spring for 3  or more years now and find that they go out of their way to help

• 4. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    PCX3 Regular Visitor

James,

I have no issues with the Sprint CS people or the speed of their reply/service.

The issue is with their choice of insurance plans and providers.

If you bought the same phone and same plan from Best Buy, your deductible would have been $0 for the same type of service.

With Asurion some phones (like yours) have a lower deductible.

The newer smartphones are $200 with Asurion.

But even with the lower deductible, you may want to check and see what you could buy a brand new phone like yours on Ebay or at a local retailer.  I think you will find the deductible you paid is between 30% and 50% of the cost of a new one.

Deductibles that high are not a fair price to loyal customers.

• 5. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

PCX3,

I do understand, as I too am a consumer of Asurion. We partner with them as a way to help customers insure their phones as there isn't many options for phone insurance.  It is totally optional and you are more than welcome to purchase insurance through other channels.  We just have this option for those customers that want it. 

If you don't have insurance and your phone get's damaged beyond repair or lost/stolen and you decide to cancel and get another phone through another carrier, keep in mind, you will have to pay an early termination fee if you are still under contract.

Dania

Social Media Team

• 6. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

JamesDavidT,

Thank you for the kudos. We do try our best to make sure you have a great overall cell phone service experience.  If you ever have any questions or concerns please reach out to us.

Dania

Social Media Team

• 7. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    Levi4u Master

DANIADR wrote:

PCX3,

I do understand, as I too am a consumer of Asurion. We partner with them as a way to help customers insure their phones as there isn't many options for phone insurance.  It is totally optional and you are more than welcome to purchase insurance through other channels.  We just have this option for those customers that want it. 

If you don't have insurance and your phone get's damaged beyond repair or lost/stolen and you decide to get another phone elsewhere, keep in mind, you will have to pay an early termination fee if you are still under contract.

Dania

Social Media Team

That is not true, they can purchase anywhere, the only time they would incur the ETF is if they were to cancel service altogether.

• 8. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

Levi4u,

I was referencing Mr. PCX3 comment above "What use is the insurance if it is cheaper to buy another phone (with a different provider) and get a new phone at a lower cost than the insurance deductible?" But to make sure there are no confusions I modified my comment.

Dania

• 9. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    Levi4u Master

AH! I see, I missed that part of their post. Sry.

• 10. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

Levi4u,

That's okay, thank you for always keeping me on my toes.

Dania

Social Media Team

• 11. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    PCX3 Regular Visitor

The whole point of all of this is that Asurion is extorting your customers.

This causes customer dissatisfaction.

If other Retail locations can offer low or NO deductible, it seems that Sprint could also.

As you are aware, the cost of getting new cell phone customers is high.  It costs more to get a new loyal customer than the sale price of the new phone.  This is why you try to lock them in to 2 year contracts.  Because the cost is so high to get a new customer, it seems foolish to allow a 15+ year customer leave without at least attempting to resolve the issue.

Also, the cost of loosing new customers because of socially vocal dissatisfied customers is much higher than the cost of satisfying that customer.  This forum is not widely viewed, (especially by new customers) but other media is used by new customers to make buying choices.

Because of the high deductible by Asurion I have slowly been migrating my phones and tablets to other providers.  With this newest episode, I don't see that trend changing for me.  I would rather just have the old Sprint back and not have this 'rip off' Asurion creating an uncomfortable situation for an otherwise good company. 

If you look at the Asurion web site, you will see that a large part of the reviews from their customers are complaints about the over-priced deductible.  Surely a company as large as Sprint can come up with a better alternative and a 'real' insurance company and not an investment capital firm as the thorn in the customer's side.

I've not been very vocal in any medium other than this forum but it seems the message from Sprint is 'we don't really value our online reputation nor do we value the $400+ you spent with us for the last 15+ years'.  I know the moderators don't have the ability to change any of this.  So I think posting here is really just a waste of time and effort.  Maybe posting other places is the best choice after all.

• 12. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

PCX3,

I will absolute forward this feedback to the appropriate contacts. We value all our customers opinion and are always looking for feedback.

May I ask what device do you have (sorry if you mentioned it already didn't find it)? When was your last upgrade? Where did you purchased it from?

Dania

Social Media Team

• 13. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    PCX3 Regular Visitor

I assumed you had access to my account because I log in to post on the forum.

The phone with the issue is a Galaxy Note II purchased in Dec. 2012.

I know it is unbelievable but I did not drop it or abuse it.  I carried it in my hand from my car to my night stand. (25') and did not do anything to it.  It was fully intact in my car but cracked when I opened the flip cover on my night stand to check a text.

When I swiped the screen, the glass cut my thumb.

How it cracked is a mystery.

I would not mind paying a reasonable deductible.

And if I abused the phone I would not be so upset and figure it was my fault.

Thanks for your help

• 14. Re: Total Equipment Protection Plans are a Joke !
    DANIADR Social Care

PCX3,

Yeah I don't have access to your account since this is a public forum and we only use it as such. Any private information can certainly be private messaged to me and I can access your account that way. If you would like to do so go ahead and send me your account information and I will check your account.  One more question, have you actually filed a claim yet?

Dania

Social Media Team

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...