9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2013 1:27 PM by Ninja_CJ RSS

Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?

qhendricks Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I've started noticing something slightly unsettling lately since I've gotten my ATIV S Neo. I've been dropping a lot of calls. For example, I had 4 phone calls with different people today, and every single one of them got dropped, sometimes more than once. I want to believe this is a problem with the network, but I have consistent full bars in my area. I've tried all the Sprint steps for having problems with calls.

This isn't a problem with the OS. It seems like a problem with the hardware. The device itself. I rarely, if ever, dropped calls on my old phone before upgrading, and now it's happening like it's going out of style. Searches online don't show much, and I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

Am I alone here? Sprint Client Care, what say ye? I really REALLY like this phone, but I cannot stand these dropped calls.

• 1. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    I-am-Sam Social Care

Qhendricks,

I gotcha! Are you still within your first 14 days since you upgraded? If you believe it is a hardware problem take it into a service and repair store to have it checked. I do not have any known issues on the device showing dropped calls as you describe. I will be happy to take a peek at the network and give any updates. May I get cross streets and zip?

Thanks!
    Samantha
    Sprint Social Care Team
    Tuesday-Saturday 1-10pm mst.

• 2. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    qhendricks Valued Member

I-am-Sam wrote:

Qhendricks,

I gotcha! Are you still within your first 14 days since you upgraded? If you believe it is a hardware problem take it into a service and repair store to have it checked. I do not have any known issues on the device showing dropped calls as you describe. I will be happy to take a peek at the network and give any updates. May I get cross streets and zip?

Thanks!
    Samantha
    Sprint Social Care Team

Cross streets. Hwy K and Hwy N. Zip 63368.

I had Sprint's reps take a look at my device/call history and they showed all the dropped calls I was experiencing in their records. Friday was my 14th day. I did take it into a store and they don't know what's wrong, but they're willing to order a new one.

• 3. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    I-am-Sam Social Care

qhendricks,

I am glad to see you are getting a replacement. Please let me know if that helps with the dropped calls. The towers in the area look to be preforming fine, but have plans of getting upgrades in the coming months. Please know this may cause increased dropped calls, because they towers will be taking down, upgraded and put back up. During these upgrades be sure to clear your cache and update our profile!

Thanks!
    Samantha
    Sprint Social Care Team

• 4. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    Finally_Windows Valued Member

Samantha-

How do you clear the cache?

I found how to update the profile....

1. From Start key Start, swipe left to Apps, and then tap Settings icon Settings.
    1. Swipe left or right to display System, and then tap network profile update
    2. Tap update profile to update your phone’s network profile.
  • 5. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    Finally_Windows Valued Member

How do you clear the cache?

• 6. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    qhendricks Valued Member

The replacement device seems to have fixed the dropped calls issue. I'm hoping no other issues arrive. I have noticed that when charging, the device (both my old and new) get really warm. Something doesn't feel right about how warm it gets, but it's still working, so I'll let it be for now.

• 7. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    Ninja_CJ Product Ambassador

Glad the new device has fixed the dropped calls issue.

When you experience the device getting warm, often that's a sign that the device is trying "really hard" to do something...like fetch email or some kind of data related updates and you happen to be in a poor data coverage area (like in a concrete building or basement). Can you detail the environment where you experience the warm device? Are you able to connect to WiFi for data? If so, are you connected to WiFi? Are you on 4G LTE?

• 8. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    qhendricks Valued Member

I'm actually not doing anything when it's charging, which is the worrying part. When I charge my phone, I lock it (put it on stand-by), plug it in, and leave it sit. I'm not in a poor service area or fortress. St. Louis, MO typically has pretty good coverage (I'll touch on the LTE part in a bit, though). I'm in a second floor apartment with plenty of window views and direct sight of the horizon. I'm almost always connected to WiFi if I can help it.

To answer your last question, funny enough (and sadly), St. Louis isn't a city that is listed as getting LTE. Which is pathetic, seeing as how it's the biggest city in Missouri and Sprint is headquartered on in Kansas City, MO, just on the other side of the state. Of course, that means KC gets LTE but not StL. So, there's that.

• 9. Re: Dropped Calls - The Neo or the Network?
    Ninja_CJ Product Ambassador

Ahh... that's the problem (IMO). St. Louis could use some serious help with data coverage (also, IMO). I was in SL for a weekend about a month ago, stayed in a hotel near Lambert Airport. My ATIV *showed* good coverage signal but had almost 0 throughput for data. Gah!! I felt my device get warm on several occasions trying to perform data-centric updates. Plenty of "bars," no data (or, as they say in TX "Big hat, no cattle").

I know SL will get better once we complete our Network Vision updates! I just wish I could tell you when that will be. Hang in there, and thanks for being a Sprint customer!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points