1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2014 4:06 PM by Jeremy RSS

Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

communityname_uthe54 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Since having my phone (Samsung ATIV S Neo), it has totally blacked out on me (requiring a battery removal for 30 seconds and re-insert to turn back on) about 5 times. Each time I notice it was right after I use my camera, and then I let my phone go to sleep.

Does anyone else experience this issue, and is there a known fix? I'm running all the latest updates as of today.

• 1. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

This has happened to me two more times since I posted this. Has nobody else run into this issue? it is pretty consistant with me - use the camera, let the phone fall asleep, no response until I eject the battery. Starting to wonder how long the plastic tabs will last on the battery compartment since shortly after each pictures I take I have to pull the battery.

• 2. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera
    VISTASCAN32 Newbie

Do you have SD cards in your phone? If so, are you saving the pictures to them? Try saving them to your phone and see if the issue still occurs.

For resetting your phone - you don't have to pull the battery out, just press and hold the volume down and power button at the same time (15-20 seconds) and the phone will reset like you pulled the battery.

• 3. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

I have an SD card in my phone, but the camera is not configured to save pictures there.

Thanks for the tip of rebooting the phone... I'll try that next crash and see if it can recover that way.

• 4. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera
    WindowsPhoneUser Newbie

I also experience this issue. I have found somewhat of a workaround though.

The workaround:

Turn on airplane mode, then take as many pictures as you want. When done you should turn your phone off and back on again, then turn airplane mode back off.

Also, if it does lock up, you don't have to take the battery out, you can just hold the power button until it vibrates (about 20 seconds or so). That turns it off, then you can just hold the power button a few seconds to turn it on. The problem is that you may have corrupt pictures if you let it freeze like this.

Background:

I got 4 of these devices for my family. Had intermittent issues with lockups after taking pictures on them and then turning the screen off (pressing the power button), They just don't turn back on. One always seemed to lock up after when taking pictures, but others would work sometimes. An interesting thing is that if it's going to lock up, then the screen won't automatically turn off either. It will just stay on. (If you notice this, you can just turn your phone off and back on at that point). Another interesting thing is that opening the camera app doesn't do it, I actually have to take a picture in order to cause the problem. Also, video seems fine, strangely enough.

I swapped 3 of them out for new devices because we thought this was a hardware issue (though one dropped calls a lot, and the replacement doesn't drop them). I tested the replacement phones out in the store and they took pictures fine with no lockup. Tested them at work, and they worked fine. Tested them at home, and they locked up (after taking pictures and turning the screen off). That got me to thinking that it may be related to reception somehow. I have all the backup-to-skydrive stuff and GPS off, so I wouldn't think it would matter. But despite the fact that reception shouldn't matter at all, turning on airplane mode fixes the issue. However if you turn airplane mode back off without a reboot, it will lock up later! Maybe in 5 minutes, but it still seems to happen.

I haven't tested to see if it's something else that airplane mode turns off such as NFC. Might be worth trying. I would hope that Samsung or Sprint can fix this in an over-the-air firmware update. As a programmer myself, it seems much more like a software issue than a hardware issue.

I made this account just to share this workaround, so I hope this helps some fellow device owners.

• 5. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera
    chrisallen1971 Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.

It doesn't matter if you have an SD card or not.  The phone still locks up after taking a picture.  BOOOO

Issue #2- Does anyone have their phone reboot over and over and over and over until you do a hard reset?????????

• 6. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera
    Ninja_CJ Product Ambassador

I've tried to replicate this issue several times and so far I cannot. I can take pics, let me phone go to sleep on it's own and it wakes every time, no issues. I am running stock OEM ROM, no SD card, not in airplane mode.

I know that poorly coded apps can foul up Android devices, often causing strange behavior, lock-ups, etc. I'm wondering if you have an errant app that causing some headaches. Have you installed any apps related to photo enhancement, editing or the like? If so what happens if you uninstall (reboot) and try again?

• 7. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

To your issue #2: No, I've not experience that nor heard of anyone else with that problem.

• 8. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

I also am running stock OEM ROM (assuming thats what the phone came with).

I'm using the built-in camera app, called "Camera"

I have no other camera apps loaded, besides the bloat that came with the phone - "MangaCam" and "Shooting Modes"

The only app I have on my phone that I am aware of as being a "poorly coded app" is called "Visual Voicemail" preloaded by Sprint, which is complete garbage, and is highly frustrating. Last week I found had 4 voicemails that I never got, 1 of which was a critical message I missed from 5 days previous. I ran visual voicemail and it showed I had nothing. I only found I had the messages because I happened to dial 1 (checking voice mail the way I did 7 years ago) but thats another thread.

Are you suggesting I uninstall "visual voicemail" and see if that fixes my camera problem?

• 9. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

Oh no. I'm not suggesting you uninstall any OEM app. I was curious about any 3rd party camera apps.

As for VVM, we are aware of some bugs with the WP deployment and are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA for patch or update yet.

• 10. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

I just tried again, reproduced it both times I tried.

Exact steps I took first time.

1-Woke up phone from Standby

2-Loaded the Camera

3-Took one picture

4-Clicked the windows button on phone to close stock camera app

5-Let the phone go to sleep on its own

6-set the phone aside, and went to work on something else... about 10 minutes later, my phone vibrated. I looked over because I thought I got a text message - nope - it was rebooting on its own.

so a little different this time because I didn't pull the battery - the phone rebooted on its own. The picture I took was in my camera roll, so it wasn't a corrupt file.

The second time. I did the same thing as mentioned above, but shortly after it fell asleep (minute or two, I tried to turn it on, and it didn't turn on).

I am running all the latest software updates.

• 11. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

Also, if it helps, I shift between 2 to 3 bars of 3G coverage in my home office (where I just did this test from). Enough bars to make a reliable "drop-free" phone call, but extremely slow data (which isn't a problem because I have WiFi in my home office which is blazing fast).

I apologize if it sounds like I'm frustrated... I am, but I understand you are doing your best to help me here and I really appreciate that.

• 12. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

Thank you for the detail. Following your steps closely I was able to reproduce the problem every time. I am going to report this bug back to the device team and Samsung. Hopefully they will find a quick code fix and integrate in the first major patch release, but I won't know for sure until it's released. Also, I don't have any expected time line.

What I have found to be a work-around is to use the capacitive Back button (left of Windows/Home button) to "back out" to the home screen.

Thank you for reporting this issue and detailing the steps necessary to reproduce the problem!

• 13. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera

Take two...

Using the back capacitive button is NOT a work-around. It just takes longer (after sleep mode) before the device spontaneously reboots. Sorry for any confusion. Still passing on to Device and Samsung.

Stay tuned!

• 14. Re: Phone shuts off shortly after using Camera
    chrisallen1971 Regular Visitor

I don't see how you guys could have missed that during your pre launch QA testing.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...