1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2013 12:13 PM by SprintCare RSS

Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use

shashwat_sss Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I purchased a sprint connection in march 2012. I was Visiting India for in april - may and wanted to discontinue my connection. So I visited a Sprint store in hollywood to ask them to discontinue my connection.The person told me that he had put in a request to do it. Once I was in India and found that my phone was locked I called sprint to Unlock my phone. I was told that I had outstanding balance which should be cleared for them to unlock my phone. Once that is done I should mail them my IMEI number. Also bec my contract was not over I would have to pay some money to discontinue my connection. I made all the payment and called them again to unlock my phone. This time they told me that as I made all the payment they closed my account and my device is inactive and cannot be unlocked.

I have all the Chat records and Conversation history with sprint reps.

Why was I not told that I should first get my device unlocked and only then should I get my account closed.

Is my device useless now? Why Can i not use it if I have paid for it!

• 1. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    Itmustbeice Newbie

THanks for you post on here,

i am having the same problem witha bunch of sprint customer reps, someone handed over a used phone which I wanted to send to Africa for  a relative to use, but sprint said they couldn't unlock the phone locally, someone in Africa would have to do it, but  what amazes me is that, they can unlock your phone to use it on international networks .

my old experience with T- mobile was that after your contract, your phone would be unlocked if you requested for the unlock code as long as you had the imei number,

psomeone at sprint is trying to take us for a ride,

i know congress passed a law banning cell companies from locking phones to one network.

as long as the 2 year contract is done we are free to unlock phones.

let me see if any lawyer is up for a few extra $$ of this corporate robbery

• 2. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    shashwat_sss Newbie

Exactly! Thats what I had been thinking. You would be surprised to know that when I initially visited the Sprint store in Hollywood with a couple of friends a sprint rep handed me a Bussiness card of a thrift shop in the locality and  told me that that he would be able to unlock the phone for me. It toke me an hours argument with him to tell him that why should I have to go to a thrift shop to unlock my phone for international use. All he kept telling me was that its under sprints policy to unlock phones. After an hour he told me that **** put a request in his system to unlock my phone( Which I am sure he never did). I swear I feel cheated! How can a company rep give information like that. And it was not like he had that one business card of that thrift shop that he gave me. He had a stack of them and I am sure he gave it to everyone who walked it there for unlocking their phones. My friend and him had a long argument with him about it!

• 3. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

shashwat_sss,

Thanks for the post. Im sorry to hear you had this issue with unlocking your device. We have a specific dept. that deals with unlocking devices for international usage. Im not sure why the store told you they would put the request in. You, yourself have to speak to Sprint world wide. Now, please clear up what it is you want to do, I have read your post and im a little confused as to what you need. Did you want the phone unlocked and deactivated? If this is the case we unlock our devices to be used for long distance and roaming internationally. If you want the device unlocked and deactivated we dont do that. Please let us know. For more information about Sprints international plans check this link. www.sprint.com/international

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 4. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

Itmustbeice,

Thank you for your post. Im sorry your having this issue. Sprint only unlocks devices for international usage on long distance or roaming. We do not unlock devices for any other reason. Once the device is paid off and is in a free and clear standing, you may be free to do what ever you want with the device, get it unlocked, send it to another country, etc. But we will not supply the unlock. I am sorry if this does not work out the way you feel it should but this is our policy. You may be able to find someone that can unlock your device, But other than having service with Sprint and unlocking the device for international use on Sprints rate plans there is little we can do.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 5. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

shashwat_sss,

Thanks for the post. As I stated he more than likely had a person that would unlock the device in a way that Sprint would not. If you are trying to unlock the device so that you could activate it under an international service provider and not keeping the device on the Sprint network, It is Sprints Policy not to facilitate this action. This would be something you would need to do on your own. What store was this? Do you have an address?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 6. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    Itmustbeice Newbie

VIctor from Sprint

thank you for your reply. so this December I am planning on going for a months vacation to Africa, I plan on taking my iPhone and buying a prepaid sim card to use while I am there . I this possible ?

• 7. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    shashwat_sss Newbie

Thanks for the reply! I spoke to department for international usage. They told me that my phone could be unlocked for international use on other GSM carriers however it can be used only on Sprint network in USA. I was told that once I clear my balance I would have to give my IMEI number and sprint would unlock the phone for me for International use( I still have that chat). But once I made the payment and sent the mail with my IMEI number; I was told that my account is closed and my device is deactivated hence it cannot be unlocked.

I read online and a lot of customers got their phones unlocked for international use! Y cant I? I payed for the phone and I should be able to use it.  I was a Good customer and I dont want to regret being one!

I found this on the community:

Hi Victor!

I searched on this topic here yesterday only after I tried to get my iphone 4s unlocked since 10 days.

There are many negative comments on sprint customer service but I don't think so. Yes, even I got frustrated at first later i got succeded. It took me over 10days to get it unlocked.

When I called them first time they said my iphone was not active on my account (I hate apple so was using 4G LTE) and said that my account should be active for over 90 days with out any past due or any low account profile. I did complete 90 days of account activity by jan 12th. they wanted me to call them back after 12th and they transfered my call to credit dept to make sure I don't have any issues. that guy said everything will be ok after 12th.

Then, called them on 14th said that my iphone should be active for 90 days of period. Now I got angry. but he understand my concern and said there is another way to do it. I had to answer 3 questions to make sure I'm the legitimater person or so.

He said in 72 hours Ill get a call from sprint and they will tell me weather I can unlock it or not. 72 hrs will be this morning.

I didn't wait and called them yesterday night and he knew that i called them reg this issue many times and he told I will be receiving a call from sprint this morning. but he said he will do it now.

So, he sent an email to me which contain the steps to unlock my 4s, but wanted me to wait for that 72 hours period to finish.

Just now I followed those steps and my 4s got unlocked.

I put att sim card and it recognized it. so I can use it for sure when I go to my country.

My advice: have some patiency. we need to get the right rep only. They will unlock it for sure.

Thanks all

• 8. Re: Unlock Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

Itmustbeice,

Thanks for the reply. You would need to meet our criteria for our international dept to unlock the device. This can be seen here. www.sprint.com/international  , Once the device is unlocked you should be able to use the device if it is compatible with service in your country, which you can also see at the link I provided.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 9. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

shashwat_sss,

Thanks for the post. So your device was deactivated? If it was, this might of been the issue. You would need the device active on our network in order for us to unlock it. But if that is cleared up you should not have an issue.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 10. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    shashwat_sss Newbie

Hi Victor,

How do I get the device to be active on your network? I really want my device to get unlocked... Also I read the criteria by international dept and i meet them...

Thanks for reply

Sha

• 11. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    Capt.Random Social Care

shashwat_sss,

Thanks for the reply. The only way would be if you have an account open with that device holding your phone number from Sprint. If your service is active and you have met the criteria, there should be no reason why your device could not be unlocked.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

• 12. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    Kapil_Nagpal Newbie

There seems to be this trend of Sprint Representatives "lying" to customers in the event of account termination. Allow me to elaborate.

I walked into a Sprint Store (Champaign, IL) and requested them to unlock my device for International Use. The Spring Customer Care representative categorically told me that the device has been unlocked for international use. I said very well, please charge me the $200 Early Termination Fee and cancel my contract.

Turns out, after a week, my Sprint iPhone has NOT been unlocked. The customer care agent lied to me.

Now they want me back on Sprint in order to activate the device for international use. Its such a pity. The company which does not care for its C-U-S-T-O-M-E-R-S will not last long.

You social care reps should start looking for a job with a better company

- Kapil Nagpal

• 14. Re: Unlock sprint Iphone 4s for international use
    Jatinghotra12 Newbie

Hi my 2 year contract is done.i need unlocked my iphone for the international use

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points