1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM by photogravity RSS

Master Subsidy Lock

avicente91 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Purchased my iPhone 4s October of 2011. Account is in good standing. Always paid 2 months in advance. We are in November of 2013, so my 2-year contract is up, yet Sprint won't unlock my device for me. Even more perplexing is the fact that Sprint says they will!

"Do you utilize device locks or software protection applications on your devices? Yes. Sprint devices are designed to be activated on Sprint’s networks and have a software programming lock that, in part, protects many of a device’s features and functions against tampering and unauthorized reprogramming, and ensures that the device features are optimized for use on Sprint’s networks. Sprint will provide the “Master Subsidy Lock” upon request once the contract has been completed and the customer is in good standing either active or inactive with Sprint."

http://www.sprint.com/landings/ctiachecklist/docs/ctia-transparency-postpaid.pdf

I want my iPhone 4s unlocked so I can use my iPhone on the Sprint as you go plan. (i've been told I cannot use my SPRINT iPhone on SPRINT'S SPRINT as you go plans. Why is beyond me.)

• 1. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    NYClos Social Care

avicente91,

Thanks for posting. I do understand your concern. Sprint As You Go service is only compatible with a specific selection of devices at this time and the iPhone 4s is not one of them. Hopefully as that branch expands we can provide the flexibility you are requesting.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 2. Re: Master Subsidy Lock

Thank you for the speedy reply NYClos.

My other question still remains however. Will Sprint unlock my iPhone 4s? I have met the terms and conditions required by Sprint (listed here), yet I am still met with difficulties, and several "Umms" and "Well...'s" from both the call centers and the Sprint Corporate Stores. What gives?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    GENEPONCE101 Regular Visitor

One thing I found very perplexing with Sprint is my girlfriend and I traveled to Vietnam this past summer and I called Sprint to unlock both our phones (IPhone 5 and 4S) so that we could use a local SIM in Vietnam.

Her phone (5) is still under contract.

Mine (4S) is off contract.

I had thought no problem to unlock both phones. Nope if your phone is off contract they will not unlock the phone to use a local SIM when traveling overseas. They at least unlocked the phone that was still under contract.

Does that make any sense at all?

• 4. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    NYClos Social Care

avicente91,

Let me check on that for you. Please send me a private message with your name, phone number, and account PIN or security answer.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 5. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    NYClos Social Care

GENEPONCE101,

Thanks for posting. A device can be unlocked for international use whether it is on or off contract. However, there are additional criteria that must be met for a device to be unlocked. Before you travel again feel free to reach out so we can check on that for you.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 6. Re: Master Subsidy Lock

So has that policy changed since July 2013? I am assuming that the "other criteria" consists of the account being in good status etc. I can tell you for sure that I was informed that Sprint would not unlock the out of contract phone.

• 7. Re: Master Subsidy Lock

And when you say it can be unlocked. Unlocked to me is I have the ability to use a local SIM in the phone in the country I am in. I don't want to pay Sprint International rates.

• 8. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    NYClos Social Care

GENEPONCE101,

Yes, by unlocked I was referring to having the ability to put a local sim card into the phone. The criteria is the account's balance must be current, device active on the line for over 90 days, cannot be on a spending limit, and in most cases the device must still be in the U.S.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 9. Re: Master Subsidy Lock

Sent you a private message.

• 10. Re: Master Subsidy Lock

Thank You again NYClos.

• 11. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    NYClos Social Care

avicente91,

You're very welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 12. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    benhrobertson Newbie

Can you help me unlock my device if I am no longer a Sprint customer? I tried to unlock with when I ended my contract in September and was denied. I switched carriers anyway after much trouble related to Sprint's refusal to unlock the phone at that time. Now, I still have the phone and want to sell it but my buyer wants me to unlock it first which I tried to do but Sprint customer service said they can only provide the MSL code which they did but not unlock it. Please advise.

• 13. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    photogravity Valued Member

Sprint *will* *not* assist anyone who needs to have their iPhone unlocked for use with another Domestic carrier. Been there, done that. I ported my number to another carrier and now my iPhone is a VOIP phone that I use with a prepaid hotspot.

Cheers

• 14. Re: Master Subsidy Lock
    SprintCare Social Care

benhrobertson,

Thanks for the post. The MSL is all the other service provider should require in order to unlock the device. Have you given the MSL info to your current provider to have them try and unlock the device? Also, what type of device are you using?

Sean L
    Social Care

1 2 Previous Next