1 3 4 5 6 7 13 Previous Next 180 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 10:21 AM by SprintCare Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    JackieTreehorn Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I'm also in the Twin Cities area, and have not been able to connect to LTE at all, outside of the forcing LTE only on the engineering screen. I've stopped by a retail location a couple of times, checked multiple handsets there to find that they all receive LTE, and I just cannot get mine to do so.  Spoke with CS who "refreshed" all of my services, and have tried multiple PRL/Profile updates.

Extremely frustrating, as I'm looking over at my Galaxy Nexus which, for all its faults, at least works as advertised.  Oh, and even more frustrating, when speaking with CS to get my services refreshed, the person said they would check known issues, and said that there were none currently reported.  Ugh.

• 61. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    phynal Regular Visitor

Well technically the phone doesn't need the Sim card to run on 3G. But yes, since we can force it also means something is up, idk it's really getting old. I may go see AT&T today.

• 62. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    Shifted1 Regular Visitor

Just to clarify, when you said the other handsets, did you happen to try a Nexus 5 they had in the store that wasn't yours?   I just love how it has been two days since this was "acknowledged" on page 2 of this thread yet there hasn't been an update and customer service doesn't have any open issues related to this and every single time you call it is the first time they have heard of it.  Yeah right.

• 63. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    JackieTreehorn Newbie

No, as this was yesterday, they didn't have a demo unit out yet.  The tech there said that he didn't know much about the N5, since Sprint wasn't carrying it, but to come back tomorrow (today) if it still wasn't working and I could swap SIMs.  So, I'll be heading back today (though, I've seen people who have swapped SIMs in numerous places and had no luck with it) and will give their demo unit a try then.

• 64. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    Jonathan_Santana Regular Visitor

Anything yet any updates on the issue??? Its hard to believe that the only ppl who have access to most info can't seem to figure what's going on and can't keep us updated !!!

• 65. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    sprintuser513 Newbie

I've had the 32gb Nexus 5 since Tuesday. I am using the LTE micro-sim shipped to me by Sprint.

Last night I decided to drive to the nearest tower broadcasting LTE with a friend of mine who owns an S4. While the S4 recognized LTE, my N5 would not. Today I decided to try it again. This time, LTE works for one tower in my area but not the other. Also note that while on LTE, my voice coverage is non-existent. While my friends S4 would have no issues with 1x800 voice + LTE, my N5 would only show LTE(using SignalCheck). And I cannot use voice + data while talking to someone, which would typically not be an issue when connected to LTE.

To reiterate, out of 2 known LTE towers in my area, the N5 only connects to one without issue and briefly connects to the other before an incorrect hand off to 3g occurs. The phone definitely doesn't suffer from a weak signal problem because although I can't pick up LTE from the 2nd tower, I get sub 100ms ping times +2mb/1mb doing a speedtest on 3g.

• 66. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    sprintuser513 Newbie

Also, I just confirmed that both towers in my area use Samsung equipment. Therefore the theory that the hand off issue between 3g->LTE being equipment biased is false. One tower provides my N5 with LTE, the other doesn't.

• 67. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    THolland1989 Regular Visitor

Regional or area issue confirmed 100%. I've spoken with nearly 20 N5 owners in my area, some of which purchased their N5 from Google, others today from Sprint, not a single one has connected to LTE even once. I also stopped by my local Sprint corporate store on the way home and they told me multiple people have been in complaining about it today and none of the N5's they activated today have connected to LTE, even though there is a strong LTE signal in the store. This is in the Raleigh/Durham area. It is NOT a google play vs Sprint device issue, it is 100% a tower/region/area issue.

Sprint needs to fix this immediately. I have 7 days left to return my device to Google and I will either do so or put in a T-Mobile SIM for their $30/month prepaid unlimited plan until my Sprint contract is up, this is ridiculous and should not be happening. Sprint can no longer say "wait until Friday when we officially release the phone" it IS friday and the phone IS officially released.

• 68. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    Jonathan_Santana Regular Visitor

I am on the same time frame as far as replacing the phone  is everyone sure that is not HARDWARE issue ????? What sucks is that sprint won't own up or even say ways going on here smh!

• 69. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    BoMalarkey Regular Visitor

Everything I have read concerning Sprint LTE is that you cannot do voice / data at the same time. Since they are only starting to bring up a few LTE towers in my area I have no experience with this. I can state that when I am in LTE I can still make receive calls as it auto switches out if LTE to voice. Once I complete my call it switches back to LTE. I definitely loose all data while on a call. Could Sprint verify this is true since it might put some of the questions on this subject to rest.

• 70. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    BoMalarkey Regular Visitor

By the way this does not seem to be the case with 3g data as I am able to be on a call and still do data. It would be nice if the phone would switch to 3g data and voice when on a call in an LTE zone or do I need to change profile from Global to 3g preferred to make this happen? Now that I have asked that question I guess I will give it a try tomorrow.

• 71. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    NYClos Social Care

BoMalarkey,

Simulatenous voice and LTE does work on Sprint with all devices except for iPhones. However, if you're in an area where towers are still undergoing testing the functionality may be disrupted.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 72. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    NYClos Social Care

Jonathan_Santana,

We definitely understand your frustration. We're working towards a fix for this issue that has been affecting some Nexus 5s ordered from the Play Store. We also have members from our device management team monitoring this thread and working with all of the feedback you've provided. Your patience is appreciated.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 73. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    phynal Regular Visitor

Thanks for the update Carlos, any idea of a timeframe? Or if its hardware related?

• 74. Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE
    Shifted1 Regular Visitor

It isn't only phones from the play store. Over on s4gru someone who got one at a sprint store is dealing with the same thing. I'm sure as the weekend goes on and people start getting them from Sprint we will hear more.

1 3 4 5 6 7 13 Previous Next