This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2009 1:50 AM by jtcrawford3 RSS

Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Could it be my Airave that's causing this? After some extended delays and what have you we finally got the provisioning to stick late last night. My internet icons showed up and I can setup email and what have you. I occasionally drop from 1XEV to 1X and back.

I am in a basement at the moment sitting next to my airave with 5 bars... is this a known issue and something i should be worried about or is this a reflection of the fact that I can only connect to a 1x data connection via the Airave, hence the confusion on the device?

Anybody in the same boat?

• 1. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Sounds like it can't maintain a stable connection to the tower providing the EvDO signal. Does the signal stay constat outside with normal coverage? If it does then it just sounds to me like it is getting a slight EvDO signal in the basement causing that bounce. Unfortunately I can't really think of anything to do about that. The Airave only send out a 1x signal, which is why that isn't going away, so your voice calls should be just fine. It is just going to be the high speed data on the network that will be sptty. If you have WiFi available I suggest using that when in the basement for data.

• 2. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    TheRealLineNoise Expert

I've been noticing this on my BlackBerry as of recently. I've noticed at my home if I am in a call it will drop to 1X and once I end the call I will be back to 1XEV. If I am in my laundry room, again it's 1X.

I don't have experience with the Airave, but I would think it's normal due to the fact that the Airave is only 1X.

• 3. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

LineNoise wrote:

I've been noticing this on my BlackBerry as of recently. I've noticed at my home if I am in a call it will drop to 1X and once I end the call I will be back to 1XEV. If I am in my laundry room, again it's 1X.

I don't have experience with the Airave, but I would think it's normal due to the fact that the Airave is only 1X.

That has to do with the fact that while you are on a call that is only using the 1xRTT section of the network. Any EvDO connection is put on idle while in a call, which is also why you can't do simultaneous voice/data without WiFi. That is not due to the Airave at all, it is the way the CDMA network works. All Sprint devices will do this, even if they don't show the difference.

• 4. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    TheRealLineNoise Expert

Just because I am ONLY using 1xRTT while I am in a voice call, the phone should not display 1X. Just because my Mom only uses solitare on her computer, it doesn't change from XP to 95.

I have only noticed this while I am at home and inside. At my office, it doesn't nothing of the sorts. I have just made 4 test calls ranging from 1 minute to 5 minutes and not once did it drop to 1X.

While I have seen people mention is on numerous other forums, I know I am not the only one. I have not worried about because it will switch back to 1XEV when I relocate in my home and never does it get stuck on 1X. Which is what leads me to belive it will default to 1X in low signal.

Since the Airave is only 1X, I would think the phone would display only 1X and not 1XEV while attached to it. This is not an unreasonable assumption. Again, I do not have one and have never used one. While he does have an Airave and states that he bounces between the 2 technologies I was mearly stating the Airave could be the reason and putting in my personal experience that I have this issue WITHOUT an Airave.

• 5. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    Regular Visitor

If this is a 8330m, that's your problem. This MEID chip in this phone is utter ****. My 8330e works flawlessly compared to my BNIB 8330m replacement. Thank God I got it for free, and didn't have to return my "E"

• 6. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    Valued Member

The Tour doesn't work on an Airave at all. If I have my airave on here in the house I can't make ANY calls. As soon as it's turned off it works, i just drop most of my calls.

Supposedly Airave techs are aware of the problem and are working on it. When i talked to them on Wednesday they told me it should be resolved by today. Rebooted my airave tonight (about an hour ago) and it's still hosed. My 3 other phones can all call out on my airave but not the Tour.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

• 7. Re: Bouncing between 1x & 1XEV normal?
    jtcrawford3 Regular Visitor

here is a bandaid for you to be able to use the airave with your Tour.

PHONE > MENU> OPTIONS>SMART DIALING> CHANGE COUNTRY CODE TO UNKNOWN>MENU>SAVE

THIS WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM AND YOU CAN MAKE CALLS IN THE HOUSE

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...