This discussion is archived
1 2 3 10 Previous Next 145 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 1:25 PM by CarbonateAndroid RSS

List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Sprint Employee
Currently Being Moderated

Just thought I'd start a running list of the 4G markets, for quick reference and to consolidate both the Clearwire and Sprint 4G announcements.

(* indicates this city is live on either Clear, Sprint 4G or both)

Baltimore, MD*

Washington D.C. (2010)

Philadelphia, PA*

Boston, MA (2010)

New York, NY (2010)

Portland, OR*

Salem, OR*

Bellingham, WA*

Seattle, WA  (Dec. 2009)

Tacoma, WA  (Dec. 2009)

San Fransico, CA (2010)

Boise, ID*

Las Vegas, NV*

Atlanta, GA*

Millegeville, GA*

Charlotte, NC*

Raleigh, NC*

Durham NC*

Chapel Hill NC*

Cary NC*

Greensboro, NC*

Winston-Salem, NC*

High Point NC*

Chicago, IL*

Dallas/Ft.Worth TX*

Abilene TX*

Amarillo, TX*

Austin, TX*

Corpus Christi, TX*

Houston, TX (2010)

Killeen-Temple, TX*

Lubbock, TX*

Midland-Odessa, TX*

San Antonio,TX*

Waco, TX*

Wichita Falls, TX*

Honolulu, HI  (Dec. 2009)

Maui, HI  (Dec. 2009)

I'll edit and update this post as more markets are announced and launched.

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Boise and Bellingham, WA went live

Message was edited by: MDG - noted Clearwire went live with Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas

Message was edited by: MDG - Salem, OR & Milledgeville, GA went live on Sprint. Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas now live on Sprint as well.

Message was edited by: MDG to provide updates to remaining 2009 launch dates:  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-and-Sprint-to-bw-4135916230.html?x=0&.v=1                    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Clearwire-Comcast-and-Sprint-bw-2465830078.html?x=0&.v=1

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in Philadelphia.

Message was edited by: MDG  noted Charlotte, N.C.; Greensboro, N.C.; Raleigh, N.C.; Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth went live on Sprint 4G

Message was edited by: MDG noted Sprint 4G now live in San Antonio & Austin TX

• 1. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

does anyone know why Los Angeles/Orange County is not in the near future plan?

• 2. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

So, quick question, is there a reason that Boise, Idaho, a city with an entire downtown district the size of the Key Bank Tower here in Cleveland, is getting 4G and I see absolutely nothing in this list for Ohio?

• 3. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Sprint Employee

Not sure about L.A., thats one of the biggies that I was curious about.  I'm not privy to the thought process behind which cities get launched when. If I had to speculate, and that is all it is, is my own speculation, I would say that some of the smaller cities that you see being launced look like they are previous Clearwire "Fixed WiMAX" markets that were already up and running.

Possibly, it is quicker for them to convert some of these cities that have pre-existing infrastructure to the "Mobile Wimax/4G" markets in addition to having the service in some places where WiMAX and 4G has less competion from a bunch of DSL and Cable companies??

Message was edited by: MDG

• 4. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

Some good points.   There are a number of broadband providers for fixed installations here in So Cal.    Typically you have a Coax wireline owner (Cable modem), a wireline pair owner DSL and in some cases a third party who either leases or has fiber backbones close by.  

For me the interest in 4G network coverage would be the ability to be free the 3G network bandwidth limitations.   They are not a problem for me as an end user per se, but the limitation causes the provider to impose caps so the users don't impact the network by having lots of traffic.    Hence we have a 5GB/month cap on 3G data and PAM is generally not allowed etc.    I would like to not worry about monthly data limits but the speed of the 3G network so far is not a big problem.

Also I suppose that since this is the land of urban sprawl and strict zoning limits the cost of deploying a new network is expensive here.    I assume that the locations are there but perhaps co-location agreements are not in place for new technologies or the frequency spectrum is not owned at this point.

• 5. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Valued Member

MDG, what's your source for the inclusion of Austin, TX on your list, and do you know the time frame?

Message was edited by: markew1

• 6. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Sprint Employee

I don't know the specific date, and I would not be allowed to disclose it, even if I did. All I can tell you is 2009 according to the press release. So not too much longer. A bunch of Texas markets were just turned on by Clearwire last week so thats a hopeful sign.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

• 7. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Valued Member

To what press release are you referring?

• 8. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Sprint Employee

http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1319758

Sprint Extends 4G Leadership by Announcing Additional U.S. Markets for Sprint 4G

Sprint Reveals Plans to Launch 4G in 17 Additional Cities in Hawaii,       Idaho, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas and Washington in 2009; Bringing       Turbo-Charged Mobile Broadband to Customers On the Go

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 11, 2009--       Sprint (NYSE:S), the first national wireless carrier to test, launch and       market 4G technology, is extending its 4G leadership by launching the       next-generation service across the country. Today, it announced the       addition of 17 new markets to its national Sprint 4G roll-out plans.       These additional markets join the previously announced markets of       Atlanta; Chicago; Dallas-Fort Worth; Honolulu; Las Vegas; Portland,       Ore.; Philadelphia and Seattle.

The new additions for 2009 are: Abilene, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Austin,       Texas; Boise, Idaho; Bellingham, Wash.; Charlotte, N.C.; Corpus Christi,       Texas; Greensboro, N.C.; Killeen-Temple, Texas; Lubbock, Texas; Maui,       Hawaii; Midland-Odessa, Texas; Raleigh, N.C.; Salem, Ore.; San Antonio,       Texas; Waco, Texas; and Wichita Falls, Texas.

Sprint also expects to launch service in multiple markets in 2010,       including Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

• 9. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

I hear ya...LOL.  Same for Orlando/Central Florida!  It's a year-around International destination!  It must have to do with marketing and existing coverage/infrastructure, is my guess.  Do you have to buy a special plan to go from 3G to 4G say on a U300?

• 10. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

pasky2112 wrote:

I hear ya...LOL.  Same for Orlando/Central Florida!  It's a year-around International destination!  It must have to do with marketing and existing coverage/infrastructure, is my guess.  Do you have to buy a special plan to go from 3G to 4G say on a U300?

Yes, the U300 does require a specific 3G/4G connection card plan if you want to use 4G. I think it can be activated with a 3G only plan but I'm not 100% sure, I'm not in a 4G market, the standard 3G plan does appear when ordering it online however. Normally the 3G/4G plan is $79.99 but at the moment it is only $69.99 if you decide to get one, I don't know how long that promotion is going on.

The 3G/4G connection card plan includes unlimited usage while on the 4G WiMax network, and 5GB usage monthly while using 3G.

• 11. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities

I had a 3G plan for 2 yrs on a Pantech 500 card.  I upgraded to a U300 'hot potato' because i go to Atlanta often (airport/ATL) and wanted to use 4G.  So when I upgraded, the sales/service rep said my plan was good and didn't need to be changed to support 4G...'what you have will work fine'  However, when I tried the svc in ATL, I'd get booted during 'authenticating' and it would revert to 3G...which was disappointing.  I got 3-4 bars of WiMax signal so I don't think that had anything to do with it.  I suspect since I'd always get reverted during the 'auth' phase, it had something to do w/ my acct. ($59.99)  I don't see any '4G plans' offerred in My Sprint but I read about it in posts all over.  So, I'm just trying to figure out if I got Shanghai'd by a rep or if I have technical/provisioning issues.

I'm trying to avoid calling into TechSupport.  Any Ideas?

Thanks for your reply!

• 12. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Sprint Employee

Pasky,

If you are still on the same $59.99 plan that you had with your Pantech, then that's why you are not able to connect to the 4G in Atlanta. Not sure if since you don't reside in a 4G market, that your sales rep just did not have the correct info on the two different rate plans, as the U300 is the only card with two different plans and speeds.

I also have a U300 and I am in the Atlanta market, you can use 3G anywhere on your current plan, but in order to use the 4G, you would either need to upgrade your plan to the $69.99 3G/4G plan (5mb cap for 3G/unlimited 4G) or if you don't feel you are in 4G markets enough to justify that, you could just go with the $10 a day 4G pass when you are in Atlanta.

Hope this gets you up and running on 4G, I've been enjoying it immensly that last month or so in Atlanta.

• 13. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    rockyraccoon05 Newbie

Well I'm certainly glad some people are enjoying their 4G in Atlanta. I have a couple hundred dollars into , over 47 hours on the phone, spoken to 54 people, 2 trips to the Sprint store (yes I keep detailed notes) and still have nada, zip, zilch, no network found 4G. 3G works fine. I have the U300 3G/4G card with the 69.95 plan since October 5. Shall I run through the excuses?

You don't have 4G in your area (yes I do-not even on a "fringe" area).

The tower nearest you is bad - 2/10 of a mile away (ticket issued-said nothing was wrong with it).

We had a recall on several thousand of the cards-your card is one of them (tried exchanging at the store-they have a stack of them that says "Do not use-hold on these" / Tried getting one from order support-they said they were out, call back next week and spend anotherr 50 bucks until they receive old one back and they will issue me a credit).

Clear and Sprint are having issues with who's covering what and where (Sprint owns the majority of Clear-how can this be an issue?)

etc. etc. etc.

The overwhelming majority of the people I spoke with were pleasant (a couple should be fired for their attitudes), but here it is 10 days later, and I've got no 4G or any indication of when I will receive it. Let's drag this out to the 30th day and stick the customer with a cancellation charge when he finally gets fed up.

I had Nextel for over a decade and switched to Sprint when I started using a Blackberry (the 2-way annoys me) a few years ago. After years of dropped calls and launching phones out the window; phone service is now quite good. The 3G on the card works fine. But the runaround and frustration on this 4G is ridiculous. There seems to be absolutely no communication of problems across departments. This comes on the heels of the original 3G 598U that had to be exchanged (then I found out I could have gotten 4G), that cost me another 50 bucks and additional 2 year contract because I switched after 30 days to get this new and also supposedly bad card.

Long rant I know. But I googled to see if this problem was listed anywhere and it's not. But a lot of people seem to be aware of it.

If anyone has any further information, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'm going to start thinking all of these people that have dropped Sprint may be a little wiser than me.

• 14. Re: List of current or announced 4G/WiMAX cities
    Sprint Employee

There was a group of U300 cards that were recalled recently. Not sure if it was software or hardware related, but they were unable to connect to the 4G network. There was a temporary halt to selling the U300 card until they could identify the affected cards and get them out of the sales channels.

This of course, has caused a temporary shortage in the cards until they catch back up on the stock.

I've sent you a Private Message

1 2 3 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...