This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2010 10:31 AM by Dgtlxistence RSS

About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

Currently Being Moderated

I read the earlier discussion on the complaint that one of you filed with the FCC about piture mail charges and I wanted to say thanks to all of you for bringing up this issue.  It is so nice to know that I am not crazy in assuming that the "unlimited" in the Unlimited Share Plan should apply to everything they say is included!  I had this issue yesterday, for the second month in a row.  Last month they told me that the charges should not have been on the bill and gave me a credit of $94 to my bill.  Yesterday I was told that there was nothing they could do, but I could upgrade my plan, etc. you all know the deal, so that's what I did.  I was so mad because the guy told me that "unlimited" applied to sending, but not recieving picture mail!  Isn't that ludicrous!!!!  I know some of you have been told it has something to do with certain cell phone models, so I think they really need to get their story straight!  Anyway, I saw that you guys submitted a complaint to the FCC for these charges, and I wanted to let you know that I submitted a complaint yesterday to the Better Business Bureau for false advertising and unfair billing practices.  I'll be happy to join your crusade for the FCC complaint, just please join me in filing a complaint with the BBB on this issue as well.  You can do it on their website, and it's fairly simple and specific.  After the section where you describe your complaint, you are given the opportunity to tell them what you think Sprint should do to rectify the situation.  Thanks again

• 1. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges
    Regular Visitor

I have unlimited Picture, Text, & Video. I have been charged a casual data usage anytime time I receive a picture or video. My local news station did an investigative report on it and they contacted Sprint. The Sprint Rep told KETV news that we should not be charged for viewing pictures and video on our phone based on our plan. We are still getting charged each month... The last CSR we spoke to did not take the charge off. This is going to cause a Class-Action agaist Sprint if they don't fix this problem. Is there anyway short of a lawyer that will get the charges stopped for good? I will also files complaints against SPRINT. If there is enough of us we can get the class action started.

Message was edited by: orgits

• 2. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges
    uninventiveheart Valued Member

The BBB has no power to do anything about Sprint's charges and service.  Businesses complained against with the BBB have little to no incentive to listen to your complaint or respond to your issue, and usually the BBB will disregard your comment and mark it as "resolved successfully".  It's the "Fortune Teller" syndrome: getting a million claims wrong or ignoring them and answering 1 of them fairly means you're successful.    If the million are too incensed about being ignored to say anything further, you win.

Better Business Bureau is a waste of time.  Seek stronger avenues.

FCC is one option.  Also, look up your state's Public Utility Commission, see if there's anything they will take as public comment.

• 3. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

I am supose to have pic mail on my account, and it shows i either get them or send them. It is neither !!!!!. It is blocked on all the phones on my Plan even though itr is supose to be on my Plan. I've been on the phone with them and online they can't seem to be able to turn it on for Me, fix the problem. Sprint is a rip off for this situation. Someone tell how to file my complaint with the FCC. PLEASE

• 4. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

Some of Sprints People say You have to have the Data Plan to get or recieve Pic Mail and some say You don't. Verizion and T-Mobil you don't, I'm not sure about AT&T. My Adult children Have Verizion and My Sisters and Brother Have T-Mobil My Nephew Has US Cellular nd he doesn't have The Data (internet) on His Either.

• 5. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

A few days after I filed my complaint, a Sprint representative contacted me about the sitution.  I explained to them that this had not been the first time I had been given contradictory information from their representatives, and that there was no indication on any advertising that I would be charged for picture mail of any kind, regardless of whether or not I had to access the internet to view pictures messages.  She said that if you recieve something as picture mail you won't be charged, but if there is a link that you have to follow to view a picture, then you will incur data charges.  She did finally credit my account for the data charges, and now it doesn't matter because I did upgrade so I won't have to go throught this again, but nonetheless it was a huge hastle, and I see that many of you have had the same issue.  As far as the FCC goes, if I am not mistaken, they do not regulate cellular phones the same as residential.  I think it's just like the difference between cable and network television, where they do not have jurisdiction to regulate or eve fine cable television.  So I do not see the point in complaining to the FCC, but then again, if enough people complain, perhaps something will be done in the future to change that.  Either way, it is pointless to complain to Sprint because they won't do anything about until they get pressure from some other entity.

• 6. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

It is not the FCC we need to file a complaint with hence FCC is federal communication commision.

It is the FTC - the Federal Trade Commision we need to file a complaint with.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Please DO NOT be passive about this. Let's take action and even hope for a class action suit to take place!

• 7. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

filed my complaint

• 8. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

I confirmed online and on phone during first and 2nd week of October that these services are free for me.
    Based on the promise of continued FREE "Data Plus Pack" services only, Sprint has been able to conduct business with me.

All of a sudden in One billing cycle these Services were removed. THEY said that They cannot Add it back ??

THey are very Money Hungry and GREEDY.

Additionally,

Because I filed a complain with Federal Communication Commission, Sprint has been considering my complain special  (discriminating me) as consumer and the company has given the  Sole Authority to one person only to handle my account.

I already have all representative ID'S and numbers who have reassured and continually let me know that Unlimited Data shall be free on my account.

I asked these questions to Sprint's Executive management team, Customer Retention Dept., Account Services Team. However, none of these teams are telling me the following:

1. Why was the "Data Plus Pack" on my account removed ?

2. Who removed these "Data Plus Pack" services ? (Representative ID and number). and breached the contract on Sprint's behalf.

3. I would like to know the date & time these were removed.

I would want sprint to stop directing customer service calls to Executive Management team as soon as possible and consider me as regular consumer.

I never authorized Sprint Executive management team to handle my account.

• 9. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges
    Rwalford Expert

I dont need to read all the headache you been through, to even know whats going on...So lets see if I got this correct.

1. Sprint shows Unlimited Picture/Video/Text messaging as "UNLIMITED" - Which it is, if you selected UNLIMITED

2. Sprint is telling you its only for "incoming" not "outbound" - Which it is for BOTH IN and OUT.

3. Sprint now is telling you that you must "upgrade" your plan, or be charged per kb per message - Which is incorrect, if its available as an "add-on".

First off, let me say that Unlimited Picture/Video/Text messaging must be provisioned properly on your account, to avoid the data charges per message. That would mean that not only would the code for the proper unlimited package be added, but also the most updated code if any codes for "add-on" have changed.

This would only be able to be done if your account was "reset" or "provisioned" before, during, or after the change, so that the network systems could accurately verify those charges as included.

Next, unless specifically stated (and I have the unlimited any message bundle in my plan), the messages are two-way, and are counted as such. There is no "incoming" only or "outgoing" only messaging, unless you have said messages blocked in your account. Whats the purpose of blocking incoming or outgoing if you have unlimited? None.

If Sprint made you change from a plan that is no-longer-offered to a new plan, and can not change you back, they are under obligation to release you from the rest of your contract due to a materially adverse change in your contract. It doesnt sound like this is the event in your case, however, many companies will attempt to fight this, and thats when negotiations happen and when things go wrong, you simply state that you were specifically told this would be okay with switching back if you found this plan incorrectly met your needs. I use the term "in good faith" as a customer a lot, to solidify that my transaction and authorization was given in good faith that Sprint who also might be acting on misinformation but with every intent of good faith measures, however was unable to keep their end of the contractual obligation. Usually companies presented with "good faith" would rather settle, then to upset you more and have a suit by BBB, PUC, or bad publicity online.

Lastly, if you want to be treated like a regular customer, you gotta just talk to regular customer support and expect them to do absolutely everything in their power to help you, which is not much.  I have been told this by Account Relations (cancellations) and by many other people higher up at Sprint. If you want to actually have someone listen to you, and work with you, and fix your account, and send in all the trouble tickets you might need, and really make you happy again, then you need to talk to people in Executive and Regulatory...Those are the FINAL word before the problem would escalate into your cancellation at the hands of Sprint. They are the last people to help you, and help they do... They are not regular CS, and they are there to help you solve that issue. Just explain it to them.

If you need some people in E&R, please let me know, Ill refer you to one of the two wonderful people who help me out and really make me glad I have someone at Sprint on my side.

• 10. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

I joined this plan last year when it first came out.  They told me that I had to upgrade my phone to have the data plan...at that point, I told then I would bring legal action against Sprint for false advertisement, especially when i held onto the brochure...needless to say, I have the data plan FREE of charge...oh..and they also told me that I could only receive picture with so many bytes..which again, they brochure didnt explain. If you complain enough, they will give it to you  free of charge..

• 11. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

hello all,

I have experienced the same as most of you. I would love a contact at sprint who actually knows what they are talking about! I have surely talked to plenty who would rather try to act in control than actually help! Thanks for any help possible!

• 12. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges
    Levi4u Master

It does use data to send and receive picmail, But if it is done correctly the system will not charge you for it.

Picture Mail Options (Included) Will not incur charges.

Picture Mail Phone Menu Options

1. Take a picture from the phone.
    2. Select Options.
    3. Select a contact name, phone number, or e-mail address to send the picture.

Picture Mail Text

1. Text message notification 'You have new Sprint Picture Mail'.
    2. Select the message.
    3. Open the link in the message to view the picture on the Picture Mail server.

Upload to Sprint Picture Mail Web Site

• Picture Mail plan users only.
    1. Select Picture Mail option on the phone.
    2. Upload the picture from the phone to an album.

Post to Service Menu Option

1. Access Picture Mail on the phone.
    2. Choose Post to Service.
    3. Select a Web site type such as Facebook orMyspace.
    4. Continue with posting pictures.

Data Usage Options (Not Included with PictureMail) Will incure charges.

Compose e-mail with Picture Attachment

1. Compose an e-mail from the internet web browser or e-mail application on the phone. (AOL, hotmail, Yahoo!, etc).
    2. Attach a picture from the phone.
    3. Send.

Pictures Using the Web Browser

1. Access the Web browser on the phone.
    2. Locate Web pages such as social network sites like Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, and PhotoBucket.
    3. Log in to the Web page (if required).
    4. Post, view, make comments, or download pictures to the phone.

Web Browser to Find Pictures

1. Access the phone Web browser.
    2. Type a URL or select an option such as google.com.
    3. Search the Web site for pictures.

Downloading/Viewing a Picture Using Web Browser

1. Access the Web browser on the phone.
    2. Type a URL or select Digital Lounge.
    3. Locate the picture.
    4. Download the image and agree to any download charges that may apply.

Downloading a Picture from Text Message

1. Access the standard text message (not notified as Picture Mail).
    2. Select the included URL.
    3. Purchase and download the picture from the Web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprint Clears Up 'Unlimited Messaging' Confusion

Sprint's Everything Messaging plans include unlimited text, picture and video messaging at no additional charge. With these plans, there are no charges for data usage associated with using picture or video messaging. However, it has come to our attention that a few customers have received charges for data usage that may be related to picture messaging. Sprint is investigating these situations and in most cases has found that the data charges are being billed for other data usage, such as checking email, downloading ringtones or visiting Web sites. In a very small number of cases, charges of 4 to 9 cents per message are mistakenly being billed to the customer. Sprint is conducting testing to fix this issue for those customers affected. Customers on Everything Messaging plans who feel they have been mistakenly charged for sending or receiving picture or video messages should immediately report the issue to Sprint Customer Care at 1-800-Sprint1 in order for their usage history to be researched.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you continue to not get any help calling sprint send an email to dan@sprint.com Outline what your issue is, Include a link to this thread, Your account number, Pin, Phone number where you can be reached. Some one from Sprint Cares will contact you.

• 13. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges

I, too, have been experiencing the same problem with my "Everything Messenging" plan.....picture mail is stated to be "unlimited" - as part of the plan's flat rate, but when the bill arrives, I find data usage charges for RECEIVING, VIEWING, SENDING AND UPLOADING picture mail.

I actually got a knowledgable customer service rep tonight, who explained to me that yes, this has been an ongoing problem and the SOLUTION is two fold:  first, you ask the CSR to go into your account and DISABLE internet access so there will be no more charges.  Second, in order to USE the picture mail feature for this plan, one must use their COMPUTER to OPEN, VIEW, SEND AND MANAGE YOUR ONLINE ALBUMS.

Lastly, as far as complaining to the BBB - THIS WILL DO NOTHING. Filing a complaint, as was suggested by someone, with their Public Utilities Commission -  NOT APPLICABLE.  The only valid and viable option is to file a CIVIL SUIT in one's County Superior Court.  This is as far as my research has gone tonight.  So my next move will be to educate myself on how a Class Action Civil Suit is started, filed, the procedures involved as well as the costs associated with this action.

So....if there are any Lawyers, Paralegals or other such exprienced persons reading this post - any additional information you're willing to share, would be greatly appreciated by me (and, I suspect, many others).  Although Sprint seems to credit back the data usage charges in many/most cases where one calls and complains.....I firmly believe Sprint is guilty of FALSE ADVERTISING by not fully explaining the picture mail portion of the EVERYTHING MESSAGING PLAN.  I mean, come on, Sprint KNOWS this is a problem, yet have not taken the simple, corrective action of adding an explanation to the plan's description on how to use picture mail without incurring data usage charges.  WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS WRONG AND SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

I would be happy - NO THRILLED - to be the one to initiate such a Class Action Civil Suit against Sprint over this issue, but I am a permanently disabled person on a fixed income that does not have cash resources available to me that I'm sure will be required to get one started.  If there is anyone reading this, is interested in partnering with me to proceed with this action, and has cash/legal resources available to them, PLEASE contact me so we may discuss the feasability of such a lawsuit.

Thank you for your time and consideration in reading this.  LET'S FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS PEOPLE!!!!!!!

• 14. Re: About the FCC Complaint on Picture Mail Charges
    Levi4u Master

Quote;

I actually got a knowledgable customer service rep tonight, who explained to me that yes, this has been an ongoing problem and the SOLUTION is two fold:  first, you ask the CSR to go into your account and DISABLE internet access so there will be no more charges.  Second, in order to USE the picture mail feature for this plan, one must use their COMPUTER to OPEN, VIEW, SEND AND MANAGE YOUR ONLINE ALBUMS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to inform you, But the rep you spoke to was not "Knowledgable", YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISABLE INTERNET, in fact if you do you will not be able to use the service you pay for. Everytime you recieve a bill with charges call and have them reverse the charges and have a "trouble ticket" opened, The more that do the faster they will get this ongoing issue resolved.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points