This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2009 4:58 PM by halcyoncmdr123 RSS

Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I just got a new BlackBerry Curve 8330.  One of the reasons I got it was because I assumed that it could surf the web.  However, once I turned the device on, I could not find a Browser application.  I installed the latest OS v4.5.175 on the phone and there is still no Browser.  I am very confused and frustrated.  It also does not have the NFL Mobile App like advertised.  Why is there no Browser on my new BlackBerry and how can I get one if that is possible?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Basics out of the way first, it's usually the basics that are the cause.

Is the device activated?

Is it programmed? Easiest way to tell is if you press the green TALK button it will list your phone number in the upper middle of the screen.

If both of those are a yes, then it probably hasn't brought the data through yet. Have you waited 4 hours for the data to pull through from the network? It can take that long to fully provision through, especially if you have not had a Blackberry before.

If it is activated but not programmed, you can get it going on your own by going to Options (the wrench) > Mobile Network then pressing the Blackberry Menu button and selecting "Start Provisioning". After that it should restart and begin pulling the data through from the network. Again it can take up to 4 hours to pull the data through once it is programmed.

After the Blackberry is programmed the provisioning pulls through all of the service books for the internet and email. As well as the Sprint applications like Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV, and access to NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile.

• 2. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

Ok, so I think that the phone is activated and programmed because my number is at the top middle of the screen when I press the Talk button, but what do you mean "hasn't brought the data through yet"?? What data?  Shouldn't the phone already have all of its programs and data on it because I bought it from a Sprint store? I am so confused! and it has been well over a day now that it has been home from the Sprint store (so way more than 4 hours even though this is my first BB).  Sorry, but also what is provisioning?????

• 3. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

The network should have pushed through the Blackberry service books from the network to activate it on Research In Motion's (The manufacturer) Blackberry network. Blackberries work differently from just about every other device.

If it has been that long go through the instructions for the provisioning, that should tell the network that you are requesting the service books again, it could take up to 4 hours but it usually only takes about 30 minutes, if not less.

• 4. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

Okay thank you!!!!!!!!!  So much relief I finally got it!!!!!!!  So does BlackBerry have its own wireless network that people can be a part of if they choose??????????  I thought I was part of Sprint?  Am I paying BlackBerry for my wireless phone service?

• 5. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

Carriers like Sprint pay RIM for the Blackberry server information et al. Blackberry's servers just route the data traffic, it is not a network in the same sense as Sprint or AT&T are with a full tower network.

You pay Sprint for the data service, Sprint pays what RIM charges to carry the Blackberry devices and service. This is why Blackberries require specific data plans. They don't just use the Sprint servers like other devices.

• 6. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

Thank You so incredibly much!!!!!!!!

• 7. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?
    Regular Visitor

Can anyone help? Having the same problem. Just bought my son the Curve at Best Buy, phone is activated. He can text and make calls. But phone has no browser, NFL, or Sprint Store icons.Tried provisioning. Get a message "provisioning failed error 1012"

Phone is on my account which is everything data share plan

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?
    Regular Visitor

Also when I go to sprint.blackberry.com and follow steps to create account I get a message that says account can not be created. I follow steps on phone get a notice that says "message sent" That's it still no browser or other stuff. Very confused.

Thanks

'

• 9. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

I would call into Technical Support. I had a Curve that got stuck the other day, and nothing we could do in the store fixed it. It was stuck in the network and the tech had to force it through before it started working.

• 10. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?
    Customer Care

Hello,

Take the battery out for 60 seconds and replace it then press the Applications Button. From the Main Screen, scroll to Options. Press the trackball.
    Scroll to Mobile Network. Press the trackball. Scroll to Mobile Network again. Press the trackball.
    Scroll to Start Provisioning. Press the trackball

Works every time and every chat I take with the same issue!!

Miya

• 11. Re: Why is there no Browser on BlackBerry Curve 8330?

MDG0083 wrote:

Hello,

Take the battery out for 60 seconds and replace it then press the Applications Button. From the Main Screen, scroll to Options. Press the trackball.
    Scroll to Mobile Network. Press the trackball. Scroll to Mobile Network again. Press the trackball.
    Scroll to Start Provisioning. Press the trackball

Works every time and every chat I take with the same issue!!

Miya

Not every time, as evidenced by me yesterday. haha But it does fix it 99.99% of the time. My customer's issue yesterday it literally got stuck in the network and had to be forced through by technical support.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points