This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2010 10:03 AM by limed727 RSS

Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

Currently Being Moderated

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise edition and have installed the latest version of Sprint SmartView software (2.27.0064) however the following two drivers do not get installed..

- PCI Simple Communication Controller

- PANTECH USB MODEM

PX-500 Devices.png

According to the information on http://www.nextel.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/pantech_px_500.shtml, this version of SmartView is supposed to support Windows 7 (see below).

Does anyone have any information on this... know a solution... or know where to get additional technical assistance?

Sprint SmartView for Windows® 7, Vista & XP

Download this software to create a high-speed Internet connection for your computer anywhere on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network with your Mobile Broadband Device.
Sprint SmartView features:
  • One-click activation for supported devices
  • GPS features and services are available at the touch of a button for GPS-capable devices
  • Easy connections to Sprint WiFi networks around the globe, available on a pay-as-you-go basis
  • Access to Sprint support services and tools via the Application section
  • Enterprise custom configuration available—business customers, please contact your Sprint Account Manager for details
Special Instructions:
  • Windows Vista users, when installing, right click on the file and select the option "Run as Administrator."
  • For a full list of supported devices, click here.
Technical Specifications:
Dated: 9/24/2009
Software Version: 2.27.0064
OS Supported: Windows 7, Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) and Windows XP (32 bit)
PLEASE NOTE: This software is not compatible with NMEA Ports for Windows Vista 64-bit users.

• 1. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

First I would try a clean installation of SmartView.

To clean install Smartview, unplug the mobile broadband card, go through the un-installation process from "Add/Remove Programs" (XP) or "Programs and Features" (Vista/7), then restart the computer. In Windows Explorer navigate to "C:\Program Files\" and remove any folder named Sierra, Novatel, Sprint, SmartView, TRU-Install, etc. then restart the computer again. If you are running a 64-bit version of Vista or Windows 7 make sure to check "C:\Program Files (x86)\" as well to make sure all of the files are gone. While the drive is not inserted install the latest Sprint SmartView software (Version 2.27 right now) from http://www.sprint.com/downloads/ and afterwards restart your computer. Once it is back up and running. plug in the U598 and let Windows associate the drivers the software previously installed. After you get the little message saying "Your Hardware has been installed successfully" open up SmartView and click connect.

The entire process could take an hour or so depending on how fast your computer is. My desktop here running an Intel Core i7 and 6GB RAM does it all in about 15 minutes, my laptop running an Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM does it in about 30 minutes. Depending on what else you have running in the background and your computer specs it can take a while to fully uninstall and perform a clean installation again.

A Clean install fixes issues about 99% of the time from my experience, not just with SmartView but just about any piece of software. If you are still having issues see if there is a specific error message displayed, and if so copy it down verbatim, or take a screenshot for us to take a look at. Hopefully we can figure out what is erroring out if a clean install doesn't work.

Windows 7 uses the same drivers as Windows Vista so you shouldn't have an issue, and the Pantech PX-500 is listed as being supported.

• 2. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

A clean install does not work.  At least it didn't for me.  A clean install is the first thing I'll try before looking online for a solution. In fact, a clean install does NOT work for me 99% of the time.

But alas, I solved the problem.  I think it may have soemthing to do with the Pantech drivers not being included in the latest smartview software.  So what I did was look at my previous Vista hard drive and found a directory called c:\program files\Sprint\Pantech PC Card.

In the device manager, double click on Pantech PX-500 (with an exclamation point over it)

Click on the "driver" tab

Click on "update driver"

Then click on "browse my computer for driver software"

Then point to the folder with the extracted attached files.

It turns out that new devices in the device manager will pop-up with exclamation points on them.  No problem.  Repeat the above procedure on the new devices.

Once all this is done, it should work...at least it did for me.

If the clean install method worked for you, then forget everything I said.

Good luck.

• 3. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

A clean install does not work.  At least it didn't for me.  A clean install is the first thing I'll try before looking online for a solution. In fact, a clean install does NOT work for me 99% of the time.

But alas, I solved the problem.  I think it may have soemthing to do with the Pantech drivers not being included in the latest smartview software.  So what I did was look at my previous Vista hard drive and found a directory called c:\program files\Sprint\Pantech PC Card.

In the device manager, double click on Pantech PX-500 (with an exclamation point over it)

Click on the "driver" tab

Click on "update driver"

Then click on "browse my computer for driver software"

Then point to the folder with the extracted attached files.

It turns out that new devices in the device manager will pop-up with exclamation points on them.  No problem.  Repeat the above procedure on the new devices.

Once all this is done, it should work...at least it did for me.

If the clean install method worked for you, then forget everything I said.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

Hi Buster... thanks for the information!

I cannot seem to access the ZIP file you uploaded.  I get the following dialog stating to "...insert the last disk of the multi-volume set...".

PX-500 Devices.png

• 5. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

Hmm...That's strange...

So what I did was download winzip and make a self-extrating exe file.

If this doesn't work, try downloading winzip from winzip.com

I'm liking windows 7 more and more.   If I couldn't get my pantech to work, I was going to save up for a mifi, and in the meantime I would have re-installed XP;  which would have been a shame.

Good luck.  Let me know how things work out.

• 6. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

Untitled.jpg

Did not work for me, either fix. I tried the clean install and I tried adding the driver I still get the error. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

• 7. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card

This totally works!!!

You have to take it a couple steps further then is shown in the previous screen shots.  Once you get into device manager, you should see all of the devices pertaining to this Pantech px 500 card under "Other Devices" of course with the exclaimation points. Though they aren't as specific until you double click on them, then you'll see the relation to pantech .  Anyway, just update the driver for each one listed, pointing it each time to the C:\pantech\Pantech PC Card only.  This happened about 3 or 4 times.  Sorry I do not have screen shots, everything is working now in Windows 7 Ultimate.

An AWESOME Thank you to buster for posting the 1.1 MB attachment!

• 8. Re: Missing Windows 7 Drivers for Pantech PX-500 Broadband Card
    limed727 Newbie

What do you do if your laptap doesn't see the pantech px 500 even after a clean install of smartview software? I have an Alienware m17 with windows 7.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points