This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2010 7:56 PM by trainford79 RSS

Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone had experience  with signal boosters/antennas?

I left Verizon for Sprint for the Hero, but my home signal is barely a strong 1 bar. I know eBay has some from anywhere around $150 up to $500+. I want to spend as little as possible to get a few more bars on my cell.

Recommendations and/or experience  please...?

Thanks!

""

• 1. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    Valued Member

im in the same boat where im getting bad reception in my house but can get near five bars outside my house so i called 1-877-775-4886 and told them about this problem so they are sending me FREE  of charge a sprint AIRWAVE shoudl be here tommrow no sence in paying for service if you cant use it hopefully this help you

• 2. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    Valued Member

702DROID wrote:

im in the same boat where im getting bad reception in my house but can get near five bars outside my house so i called 1-877-775-4886 and told them about this problem so they are sending me FREE  of charge a sprint AIRWAVE shoudl be here tommrow no sence in paying for service if you cant use it hopefully this help you

It was the same for me.  If you speak to someone in retention they should be able to help.

The ironic thing is in my case I finally got excalated to an advanced tech that admitted he saw a problem with the tower in my area, but it never got addressed...it's even bad to this day (and that was almost a year ago).  However, now that I got the AIRAVE it's not an issue.  The AIRAVE has been great for me.

• 3. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    Valued Member

Thanks for the information

I called Sprint as suggested and they want $99 for the Airave and $4.95 month. The whole service piggy backs on VOIP (like Skype or Vonage) in some fasion. It uses mild bandwidth and allows a max of 3 "sprint" cell connections.

However, there are boosters, the more popular inexpensive is "Wi-EX". I read up on some reviews and the majority state it works great, giving at least the same signal "outside" as inside "inside" as is outside. To me that seems more of a relay then booster.

Anyhow, the "Wi-EX" boosters/relays for both the Sprint and Verizon bands are $250 ish on eBay.

So, do I buy a "booster" that may give me 1-2 stronger bars on the Sprint network directly... or Airave that will give me full bars, more then likey, but route my calls through my router...

Message was edited by: kenyu73

• 4. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    Valued Member

kenyu73 wrote:

Thanks for the information

I called Sprint as suggested and they want $99 for the Airave and $4.95 month. The whole service piggy backs on VOIP (like Skype or Vonage) in some fasion. It uses mild bandwidth and allows a max of 3 "sprint" cell connections.

However, there are boosters, the more popular inexpensive is "Wi-EX". I read up on some reviews and the majority state it works great, giving at least the same signal "outside" as inside. To me that seems more of a relay then booster.

Anyhow, the "Wi-EX" boosters/relays for both the Sprint and Verizon bands are $250 ish on eBay.

So, do I buy a "booster" that may give me 1-2 stronger bars on the Sprint network directly... or Airave that will give me full bars, more then likey, but route my calls through my router...

Yes, that's how AIRave works.  I got mine for free, but I was experiencing missing/delayed text messages, phone calls, etc because I didn't have good signal strenth.  Sprint sent me to the retention department (I believe that's what it's called) because I was going to "cancel", and they waived the device cost, shipping, and i think the first 6 months of service costs so I could test it out.  That's what kept me a Sprint customer.  Yay!

I've heard about the Wi-EX information, but I have no first hand experience, so I'm no help.  Sorry.  Hopefully someone has some personal experiencee they can offer.

• 5. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    Regular Visitor

I've had my AIRave since it come out and have ZERO complaints.  Here is a FAQ from Sprint.

Does AIRAVE support Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO)?

AIRAVE does not currently support Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO) data speeds.

Your mobile device will continue to receive Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO)

services directly from the Nationwide Sprint Network while within range of the

AIRAVE

What happens if Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO) is not available via the

Nationwide Sprint Network?

Your mobile device will use the AIRAVE for data services with a maximum data

throughput of 153.8 Kbps

• 6. Re: Home signal boosters (little off the 'Hero' Topic, but...)
    trainford79 Newbie

I barely get signal in my apartment building, however, I have a neighbor that gets excellent service...he has verizon.  I called in and told them I wanted to cancel my service because my neighbor doesn't have the signal problems that I did because he has verizon.  They gave me the booster for free and also the service for FREE!  I suggest doing the same.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...