This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2011 3:31 PM by KarleneBryan RSS

yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

everytime i restart my htc hero. I basically have to setup my yahoo account over again. an error code that  reads  login failed. i am tired of having to setup my account over and over again. can i get some help with this.

• 1. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    AndrewDerr Expert

Getting my free Yahoo! account set up on the Hero has been a real pain for me as well... I just picked up a Hero on Nov. 14th, at Best Buy.

Coming from an Instinct I can say that one thing which worked really easily and reliably well on that phone was email of the Yahoo and Gmail kind.

Getting Yahoo! email set up and working on the Hero email working has been frustrating, but I am now using a free Yahoo! account on my handset.

Regarding resolving the login failed error, here is what I have learned so far, and what is working for me.

- At first I tried setting Yahoo! email up manually, and experienced failures.  Like it would work for a while and then stop working.  Or I would get different errors.

- I found a link on HTC's website that resulted in the breakthrough for me.  I chose to follow HTC's instructions and, for whatever reason, their steps worked, and afterwords my Yahoo! email was coming and I could send emails.. until today, when I received a "Login failed" error.  I could not for the life of me figure out how to resolve this issue until reading tonight that "you should reset your phone if you get this error."  That turned out to be brilliant advice, because after I reset my phone, Yahoo! email is once again working flawlessly.  Fingers crossed.

Link to HTC Support - Setting Up Your Email Account.  The instructions are copied below.

After setting up your email account, to request mail to be pushed immediately to you, launch Mail and then select Menu, and finally Refresh.

Then if later you suddenly you get a "Login failed" error, my advice is to Power Off your phone, reboot it and email should work again.

I think there remains an issue here that HTC needs to resolve.  Why do we have so many issues with Yahoo! email?  Finally, I wish there was one single integrated email client on the Hero; I don't appreciate the fact that Gmail is siloed off by itself.

Good luck!

Setting up Your Email Account - HTC Hero

Put personal email at your fingertips. Using Mail, you can easily set up your email account right on your phone. Mail contains the settings for many popular email providers such as Hotmail and AOL, so setting up your email account can be as simple as entering your email address and password.

1. If this is your first time to set up an email account, tap Mail on the Home screen. Otherwise, press HOME, tap the All Programs button (that is, the button that appears to the left of the Phone button below the screen), and then tap Mail.
    2. On the Choose a mail provider screen, tap Other (POP3/IMAP).
    3. Enter the Email address and Password for your email account and then tap Next.

If the account type you want to set up is not in the phone database, you will be prompted to enter more details, such as the incoming/outgoing server settings. Your email provider can supply you with this information.

Enter the Account name and Your name and then tap Finish setup.

When you tap Mail again on the Home screen, you will see the email account you have just created. You can now start sending and receiving email with this account.

• 2. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted

I had similar issues as well getting Yahoo e-mail to work consistently with HTC Hero. I created the Yahoo account initially just fine using the automatic option but would get frequent "Login Failed" on a refresh. I turned the phone off/on but to no avail. I then deleted the account and re-added it but could not even set it up. Restarted once more and created the Yahoo account again and this worked. So far so good........

Note you DO NOT need Yahoo Mail Plus/Premium or anything like that. Yahoo e-mail was working just fine (refreshing every 15 minutes) but there seems to  be something wonky with getting it to refresh consistently.

I also read about using the Manual setup option but am not at that point (yet at least).

Cheers..

• 3. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    Torres0428@gmail.com Regular Visitor

I had a similar problem setting up my yahoo. I found a helpful post in another forums. Go to settings and disable wifi and also gps and location. try to set up yahoo after you done that. Let me know if it works

• 4. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    Valued Member

Weird.  I set-up my Yahoo account fine just by entering New account, Other (Pop3/IMAP), then filled in "username @yahoo.com" + "mypassword", then "Next".  I never went through the manual set-up.  It's a free account not plus or anything special.  And yes, I'm using the stock mail app.  Not saying this WILL or SHOULD work for you, but it did for me.  My wife on her Moment DID have to jump through all the hoops (including factory reset then manual set-up - that worked) for the excact same type account.  Go figure...

• 5. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    Expert

Like you guys, I was also having problems adding my yahoo email account. I would get as far as putting in the info and getting a message saying username doesnt match password. Did a little research and found out that yahoo asian for some reason lets you enable POP and forwarding w/o paying for yahoo mail plus. I also found out that you can change the language setting on my current account to a yahoo asia account. Here's the steps I took. From my yahoo mail page go to options, then to account information. Click on "set language, site and time zone. Set site to yahoo asia. At this point, you can log back in to your yahoo mail and enable POP and fowarding. This will give you all the server setting info you need to set up POP and STMP.

Here's what mine looks like.

set.jpg

I've been through a few resets and syncs with my yahoo email functioning flawlessly.

Message was edited by: Aristo

• 6. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    AndrewDerr Expert

I have two free Yahoo email accounts working flawlessly on my Hero.  No issues since I got it set up.  Messages are pushed to my phone as expected, for each account, based on the download frequency I set.  Actions taken via the Hero are reflected in my native accounts (when I read messages on my Hero, or delete messages, etc., it updates my Yahoo accounts accordingly).

Here are my settings, using the Hero's stock Mail app:

INCOMING SETTINGS

Protocol:  IMAP

Email Address:  [myemailaddress]@yahoo.com

Username:  [same as Email Address]

Password:  [mypassword]

IMAP server:  imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security type:  None

Server port:  143

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS

[X] Login required

Username:  [myemailaddress]@yahoo.com

Password:  [mypassword]

SMTP server:  smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com

Security type:  None

Server port:  25

In case someone wonders, here is how to view current settings for each account you have established:

- After opening mail app, and selecting your Yahoo account, go to MENU

- Select MORE

- Select SETTINGS

- Select ACCOUNT SETTINGS (visible on several screens, click NEXT to move to the next screen)

Hope this helps!

• 7. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted

In the above post, I don't know you mean to say the email is 'pushed', just that it is accessed.  If I'm not mistaken 'pushed' email arrives on your phone client at essentally the same tme as when it hits your computer client, like with Gmail, based on the email arrival.  The Yahoo free account is polled at whatever amount of time you set the phone client to check the account.

No biggie, but they are two different things...

• 8. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    AndrewDerr Expert

Thanks for clarifying that, I'm glad to understand the distinction.  For my basic needs the polling method works pretty well.

• 9. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted

I too have had this trouble, have tried just about every server configuration known to man, but it seems that periodically Yahoo will stop sync'ing with the server.  I have a plus account and I even tried plus server settings to the same end.  I did finally get my Yahoo account setup by letting the phone set it up instead of using a manual setup.  After reading about resetting your phone to factory default, I also noticed it said to turn off WiFi.  I'd remembered that my phone stopped syncing soon after I enabled it last night (though I never connected to a network), so I turned it off, shut the phone off and turned it back on, and now we're syncing again.  We'll see how long this lasts, and if I can repeat the fix.

• 10. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    Regular Visitor

Same problem here. I dont use wifi sooo.... I haven't really noticed any pattern to it. Sometimes after a soft reset it'l happen, sometimes it just stops working seemingly for no reason at all and I'll get the same "login failed" msg. I have noticed that another soft reset has been bringing it back up though, which is odd... soft reset, login failed. Soft reset again, back up and running. I don't get it?

• 11. Re: yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    CKintheMJ Newbie

Brilliant!! Sprint's phone support and the "tech" at the local Sprint store were absolutely clueless. Making these changes fixed the issue.

Wake-up, Sprint.

• 12. yahoo account error(login failed) evverytime htc hero is restarted
    KarleneBryan Newbie

What's a soft re-set?  I've tried eveything to get my email on my Evo Shift to start working again with no luck so far; I still get 'login failed'

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points