This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2009 9:43 PM by mttjhnstn RSS

Alleged MR update on 11/18

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Since the MR thread is "Locked" I will post my info here.

Just got off the phone with Sprint. Rumor is at customer care that on 11/18 (tomorrow) there will be an update. However, before I have a nervous breakdown dealing with all the bugs in the software, i'm switching back to blackberry tonight. I really really don't want too. However,  In a critical situation where I need to use my phone i'm never sure if it will work. Will the phone hang? Will the phone Ring?? Will the phone Lockup?? Will I recieve that text??? Could you imagine your phone lagging on a 911 call because some simple app has messed with the 911 button on your lock screen?? I doubt this would happen, but with all the bugs I wouldn't be suprised. Sprint is and has a reliable network. And I need a reliable, and dependable phone on Sprint's network. I promise I will give the android another shot down the road.

Best Regards

• 1. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

[Edited to remove personal attack.]  You don't get your calls?  You don't get your texts?

The phone works perfectly fine if you just let it be what it wants to be... a phone.  If you are so worried about this small, yes I said small, bugs this phone has, don't overload it with unnecessary apps until the update.

I'm afraid you be trollin.

Message was edited by: Moderator

• 2. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Expert

clayton wrote:

[Edited to remove personal attack.].  You don't get your calls?  You don't get your texts?

The phone works perfectly fine if you just let it be what it wants to be... a phone.  If you are so worried about this small, yes I said small, bugs this phone has, don't overload it with unnecessary apps until the update.

I'm afraid you be trollin.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you can say that the bugs this phone has are small. Do your homework before you rebuttal against someone who obviously has done his/hers.

It is a KNOWN FACT that the Hero has had trouble with getting text messages late, not getting them at all, not recieving phone calls, delaying in recognizing phone calls, delaying in between vibrations and rings, you name it. And yes, these bugs ARE still there whether you have 5 or 50 app installed on your phone. If the bugs weren't small, people wouldn't be going nuts about getting this MR update asap.

My biggest fear about this phone is that if I am ever in an emergancy situation, the phone will freeze up on me or lag like crazy and not let me dial 9-1-1.

• 3. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    JDANIELS386 Regular Visitor

Theres been a few reports that HTC Hero users got their update.

http://twitter.com/androidandme/status/5801756352

Edit: My only issue is the ring lag and battery issue. I get all my texts and calls since I stopped using Task Killing apps.

Message was edited by: OtisFeelgood

• 4. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you can say that the bugs this phone has are small. Do your homework before you rebuttal against someone who obviously has done his/hers.

It is a KNOWN FACT that the Hero has had trouble with getting text messages late, not getting them at all, not recieving phone calls, delaying in recognizing phone calls, delaying in between vibrations and rings, you name it. And yes, these bugs ARE still there whether you have 5 or 50 app installed on your phone. If the bugs weren't small, people wouldn't be going nuts about getting this MR update asap.

My biggest fear about this phone is that if I am ever in an emergancy situation, the phone will freeze up on me or lag like crazy and not let me dial 9-1-1.

You don't need to rehast to me the bugs this phone has.  Everybody is aware of them.  It's a bit brash of you to assume I am unaware.

There is a known fact the phone has a messaging problem.  There is also a known workaround to this problem, a workaround most people prefer and would have eventually implemented anyway.

It is a known fact that the call delay is relatively normal.  I owned an instinct before the hero and experienced the same ring lag.  I have never missed a phone call on my instinct and I have never missed a phone call on my hero.  Three other people in my office also own a hero, none of us are experiencing call problems.  In fact, this phone has reception in places my instinct never had (such as the basement of our office building).

A quick question for you, dvdqnoc, are you as fearful of getting in a car accident every time you get in a car as you seem to be about your phones inability to dial 911?  Seems kind of a rash fear considering there has not been a single documented case of anybody not being able to perform that action...

Just sayin.

• 5. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Fubar12345 Expert

Wow guys save the fight for where its needed.  Not on a flame war.  Chill a bit.

The Hero has issues.  Some aren't bad and others are worse.  Let's wait for the first MR, whenever it is, and see what happens.  I'm an eternal pessimist so I have to go for the "...there will be more problems than fixes..." but at least it will be a start.

Hope fully this isn't a Sisyphean task for Sprint/HTC.

Fubie

• 6. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Expert

clayton wrote:

You don't need to rehast to me the bugs this phone has.  Everybody is aware of them.  It's a bit brash of you to assume I am unaware.

There is a known fact the phone has a messaging problem.  There is also a known workaround to this problem, a workaround most people prefer and would have eventually implemented anyway.

It is a known fact that the call delay is relatively normal.  I owned an instinct before the hero and experienced the same ring lag.  I have never missed a phone call on my instinct and I have never missed a phone call on my hero.  Three other people in my office also own a hero, none of us are experiencing call problems.  In fact, this phone has reception in places my instinct never had (such as the basement of our office building).

A quick question for you, dvdqnoc, are you as fearful of getting in a car accident every time you get in a car as you seem to be about your phones inability to dial 911?  Seems kind of a rash fear considering there has not been a single documented case of anybody not being able to perform that action...

Just sayin.

[Edited to remove personal attack.] Just because "YOU" get all of  "YOUR" calls and texts doesn't mean that this other person does. I can vouch for calls being missed. My previous Hero would miss about half of my calls, and the ones that I did receive I only got 1 or 2 rings to answer them. When I would test call it from a land line it would ring 4 or 5 times on the dialing phone before the Hero would light up and begin to ring, sometimes even only ringing once or half ringing. My Instinct NEVER did that. It didn't do much else very well but it sure a f*ck would ring and let me answer a call.

I exchanged the first Hero for another Hero and now I have NO problems except the time widget displaying the wrong time and some slight battery drain. But my first Hero sure as h*ll did everything the original poster says that theirs is doing plus incredible lag, apps changing versions and not working, excessive force closes etc.

So if "YOU" have no issues, great! I don't either now. But when others are reporting their issues with the phone, [Edited to remove personal attack.] if you don't have something helpful to add. There obviously are a number of defective units out there.

I suggest exchanging for another Hero if you are haveing lots of issues because the ones that work well are really nice.

Message was edited by: jturnbow

• 7. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

I think that an 11/18 release is highly unlikely.

And children? Please settle down. It's just the internet.

• 8. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

Wager?  ;>

• 9. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

Looks like it might actually be the case.  I've been going to the Hero support page on the HTC site everyday to see if there is a MR and up til today, there has been a download section with the new HotSync application for download, however today there is no download section.  I'm hoping (although not holding my breath) that they are setting up the download section and will repost it later today with the MR.  Crossing my fingers....

Message was edited by: jmoch

• 10. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

I JUST TALKED TO SPRINT ABOUT MY TEXT MESSAGES BEING SCATTERED THROUGHOUT THE THREAD AND THEY SAID THE FIRMWARE UPDATE WILL BE OUT TOMORROW 11/19.

• 11. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

jmoch wrote:

Looks like it might actually be the case.  I've been going to the Hero support page on the HTC site everyday to see if there is a MR and up til today, there has been a download section with the new HotSync application for download, however today there is no download section.  I'm hoping (although not holding my breath) that they are setting up the download section and will repost it later today with the MR.  Crossing my fingers....

The firmware update will be OTA directly from your phone, not on the HTC web site.

• 12. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

elmoglick wrote:

jmoch wrote:

The firmware update will be OTA directly from your phone, not on the HTC web site.

Has that actually been confirmed? The only announcement makes no reference whatsoever to the delivery method.

• 13. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Regular Visitor

The Sprint rep told me today OTA update

• 14. Re: Alleged MR update on 11/18
    Valued Member

Not sure if that's true being that Sprint said there will be no OTA updates for Android weeks ago due to file size. All kind of Android blogs have blogged about it. It would be nice if it was though.

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...