This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2010 1:33 AM by crazylikeme11 RSS

"Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Currently Being Moderated

Ok this is very frusterating, so I though I would post this to see who else has had this problem and if they found a solution... When I try to play any music on my blackberry it says "Device Media Processor Is Busy". There is also "Error Playing" displayed in the top right corner of the scree in red. I did "hard" and "soft" resets on while talking to customer service and multiple other things they suggested to do. Regardless of what I did, the same problem was there. Also, the phone's sound itself doesnt work. Meaning the phone doesnt ring at all if I get a call or anything. So basically I have to keep the phone on vibrate. My girlfriends phone is doing the same EXACT thing. Hers has been like this for two weeks and mine started on Monday (11-23-2009) I haven't had this phone for two whole weeks yet!!! We I have the Blackberry Curve 8330 and she has the Blackberyy Curve 8300. Whats the deal with this issues?? I see tones of the same issue on google and throughout the web. I took it in to a sprint store and the tech thought I was stupid. He lied and try to say it was because my memory card was loose. I told him that wasnt it so I made him look at it again. Then I was told it was cuz I didnt use the memory card that came with the phone.... Really????!!! That's the dumbest excuse ever. Not to mention it is the memory card that came with the phone. For every crazy excuse they tried to throw at me, I had a concrete reason why it was not the problem. Did I mention Im not stupid either?...... So finally they just told me the phone was not functioning properly and claimed they were going to replace it and the new phone would be in on Monday. (11-30-2009) So we shall see whats going on and Im taking my girlfriend to a sprint store other than the one I went to to get her BlackBerry looked at. So to everyone who has had this issue and dont know what do, take it into a sprint store and stand your ground. Dont let them push you out of the store. But you may have to get a new phone. There could be some money u have to cough up.

• 1. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .
    Regular Visitor

Well I have to call BS on that. My phone is a few months old an I have the same problem! I have done all the same things and I am not going to put out more money because a problem with the phone. This is apparently a known issue and should be dealt with by Sprint or BB! Mine is an 8350i and has been silent for two weeks as well.

• 2. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Ok crazy turn-out!!!! I took my girlfriend into a different sprint store to get her phone fixed since it was doing the same thing, and they fixed it...... ***.... They worked on it for a little over an hour, but it works fine and has been since Wednesday evening when we took it. They said something about it being too much "stuff" on the phone. (Whatever that meant) But I know my phone has no apps on it period and less than ten songs and ringtones on the memory card. So maybe the tech at the other store didnt know what he was doing. Especially since they couldnt give me an excuse why it was malfunctioning without me proving them wrong.  But hey, her phone was fixed and my new one was ordered and should be in monday. (Keepin my fingers crossed)

• 3. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

I have had this problem for over a month. I have had it reset twice. I finally took it to a technician and showed him the problem and he told me that the operating system was corrupt. He remove and installed the operating system and it worked perfect for a few hours. I have now been told that the device is defective and needs to be replaced. I have insurance on it and the replacement is free. I should receive my new device in a few days. My personal feeling is that there is a glitch in the OS. I guess time will tell.

Message was edited by: myron499

• 4. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

ok here we go...had our blackberry 8330 curve for one week.  the phone suggested upgrading to the new os system and then the problems began.  im having the same problem with the device media program busy ****.  so i took it in and had a technician reset the phone to the original os system that the phone came with... no problems so far with music... but now i have no browser... and will be making yet another trip to the store.  mind you we are new customers that just switched from u.s. cellular after almost 10 years.  so at this point im not recommending the blackberry phones at all because when you go to blackberry its as if they just swept the whole ordeal with the bugs in these phones under the rug and are doing nothing to fix the problem.  if i was the president of blackberry or sprint you could bet your **** that the problem would be getting fixed TODAY.  or someone is losing their job.  next time to the sprint store...im getting a new phone.... god help us on our next decision for that.  good luck

• 5. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Well, its Monday. We will see if a new phone came in for me or not. If it does, I will tell how things went down. This is so rediculous. Still no phone sounds so the phone has been on vibrate since before my original post.

• 6. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

I started experiencing this same problem around (December 10, 2009). My phone only worked on vibrate and the only two songs I have on my phone will not play. There is a red error message in the top corner of the screen and it also displays "Device Media Processor is Busy". While online reading similar post about this issue, my phone went blank (off) and the red indicator light came on. I was unable to turn the phone back on. So, I removed the battery and put it back in. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN my ringtone and MP3 player began working again. I do not know how long it will last, but try removing the battery and see if it works. Also, this is not the first time my phone turned off (black screen) with the red indicator light illuminated. When that happens I always have to remove the battery to "restart" the phone.Works fine after that !

• 7. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .
    Regular Visitor

Well I have to admit I was shocked by the customer support and service I received with my blackberry! I took it in after many attempts to fix the same problem. They did the same things I had done. Rolled back to original software, then updated versions one at a time testing each one to see if the sound would be fixed and nothing worked. I figured I would walk out without a solution or having to purchase a new phone.....AMAZINGLY the rep told me that he had ordered a new one and it would be in two days later! And sure enough it was....I got the phone call to pick it up and it works like it should now. If you can't get it fixed take it to a rep and see what they say!

Good luck!

• 8. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Ok so I have had my new phone for a decent amount of time now. I was sitting around at home on Sunday (12-13-2009) and noticed my phone wasnt updated to the latest operating system. So I did the over the air update for it and it looked like everything was fine. The next day I realized I media player was doing the same exact thing as the phone replaced with the faulty media player. So It finally dawned on me its something in the new operating system. I took it to the sprint store and they reset the hardware and wiped everything out. It was still on the new operating system however. Everything seemed fine and the media player was working so I went home satisfied. I went home and didnt download/upload anything new and I didn't even reconfigure my email cuz I didnt want any problems. I just went home and left the phone as it was. So Tuesday comes along, and the media player isnt working again. Not to mention that also effected the ringers not working also. The only reason I noticed was beacuse as I was holding my phone in my hand to look at the time, I had an incoming call. The phone never rang as I held it in my hand and and waited for the ringer to start. Naturally I went into the media player to see if the error would be present and it was. I took it back to the sprint store and spent two hours in there this time. I felt so uncomfortable being in there and I knew the employees just saw me as someone trying to get another new phone. That wasnt the case at all. I just want my phone fixed and want to know what is the root of the problem. I explained to them the only thing different I did was the over the air update and suggested restoring the phone to the previouse operating system. Of course they comment on the fact that I'm on my third phone and the first one had th esame exact problem. I had to defend myself a little and not accept the excuses they were telling me. Of course I got all the same ones I heard multiple times and not to mention I do have common sence and have some skills in electronics since Im in school for computer forensics........ Once I stated that, they agreed to look into it some more and call me today. So I have to go back after work and spend more time in the store looking at the same employees. I know they talk about me in there since Im always in there for the same problem and they are always just looking at me when Im being seen. The entire store was focused on me yesterday. It was so uncomfortable. I hope they just decide to put the older system back on like I suggested and let me go on with my day. Keep trying everyone and dont get that new Operating System download. It's full of bugs. Thanks for listening!

• 9. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

I'm having the exact same problem also.  Does anyone know the previous version # or the software (V4.4 maybe)?  If the last known working version # is known, maybe we can download it onto a pc and then upload it onto our blackberrys (using the update on the phone doesn't let you download previous versions as far as I know).

• 10. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Happy New Year everyone!  I have a solution for you!  I did some testing on my Pearl.  I was able to temporarily resolve the issue several times by taking out the battery.  I even did a factory reset.  I was able to hear my ringtone after each reset, but as soon as I opened media player and played a song, the ringer would stop ringing and the next time I tried to play a song in media player I got the media processor is busy error.  After reading your posts, it was clear that the OS was to blame.  I opened Blackberry Device Manager.  Clicked Application Loader.  Under Update Software, I clicked the Start button. Under available updates, there should be 2 versions.  Your current version (4.5.0.175), and Downgrade version (4.5.0.131).  I selected the downgrade, which took about 20 minutes to get through.  Then you have to go through the setup process again.  I tested the phone by having my son call me, playing a song, having him call me again.  I went through 4 rounds of this testing and I didnt experience any issues.  If for some reason you don't have the downgrade available to you, I would first suggest going to your phone provider support and asking them to downgrade it for you.  If they can't or wont, I found this article that should help you get the downgrade yourself.  I haven't tested it, so if someone does follow the procedure, please reply to the post and let everyone know the outcome.

Here is the link: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_downgrade_the_OS_on_my_BlackBerry%3F.

Good luck!!

Musictopia

• 11. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .

Hey ive had the same problem having to pull out the battery everytime i wanted to hear music!! If you not already fixed it by now try this (it helped me). Go to your web browser, hit menu. go to options, cache options, and hit all the clear buttons. Then turn off your phone, pull the battery, wait a couple of seconds (10) then put the battery back in. It should help. Havnt had any problems so far. Hope this helps.

• 12. Re: "Device Media Processor Is Busy" Error. . . .
    crazylikeme11 Regular Visitor

Well I had the Tour originally, what a brick, so I was forced to downgrade my phone just to upgrade what a joke, we are an hour from Tucson and our town is 35,000 plus, (only on 2G here) don't get me wrong I loved my 8330, but heard they were being phased out with no updates so I didn't want to deal with 8330 because the Sprint store couldn't even find me one, ended up with the 8530 (was forced out of the new lotus elite), what an embarrassment for RIM, cheap plastic junk, they totally raped the Curve, took the flash away keys are so close and my fingers cramping from using the keyboard, thank goodness for Best Buy, they had an 8330, Thank God, my phone is my business line, lost alot of business and time, well they needed to change the numbers over so I could return the 8530, OMG, 2 days then the OTA upgrade, now my phone will not allow me to view all my media, music is ok, can someone tell me how to access my pictures again?? And what is with the stupid folders which show they are empty but when I go to delete I am prompted not to because it contains media files ughhhhh, so I feel ya about being treated like we are the problem going into the Sprint store a million times, I am about ready to go PAY AS YOU GO!!!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...