This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2009 12:03 PM by Lowendall1880 RSS

Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Ok everyone,

I have had my Moment for exactly 3 weeks and I am still putting it through the paces and I have a question about the really cool emulators on the Market, Nesoid etc...  Everytime I start a game, the music/sound is really static-y and slow for a second or two and then it is fine for the most part.  Like in Mario World, everytime you start a new level this always happens.  It's really annoying after a while.  At first, I just thought it was the roms or just the way the emulator works, but then I went to try a Cliq out today to compare some things and the Cliq did not have this issue at all!  The music/sound played perfectly from the start...  Has anyone else noticed this with their roms?  Please respond as I am still within my buyers remorse and I am trying to get all the info I can on this phone.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Valued Member

Hello there,

There are many factors that can come to play with it..obviously the specs can play a role in that...One thing you can do, is turn the sound off, this will improve the frame rate some what. Another thing you can do is check for upgrades on the applications; developers constantly try to fix bugs and issues with their software to make their applications user friendly for all Android users.

• 2. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

Thanks Chiccora.  I have been updating whenever updates have been available and this has been an issue from the beginning.  I do not want to turn the sound off as that is one of the great things about these games, not the same without the classic music!  Anyway, I am just wanting to see if anyone else out there is experiencing the same problem.  Anyone using  Nesoid or Snesoid?  I need to know if it's just some weird thing with just my phone or if it is happening to all Moments.  Perhaps it is something that needs to be addressed by the dev of the apps...  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

It is not just your phone, the sound stutters for me as well.  That being said, I just turned it off.  Really, other than the sound issues there is virtually no lag with these emulators on the moment, whereas I found considerable lag on the hero, and the hardware keyboard is awesome when it comes to controls, while the hero is hard to control.  So yes the sound sucks, but games are still playable and enjoyable.

• 4. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Valued Member

I have to agree with Crake! The sound can be choppy but we can still play these games! I have an original copy of Final Fantasy VI for SNES...I still have my SNES but its broken so I love the fact that I can play this game on my Android while on the go! Amaaaazing app!

• 5. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

I totally agree that these apps are amazing!  However, I am not content with just dealing with this Moment flaw.  The Cliq does not do this and I am betting no other Android phone is doing this as well.  I have been in contact with the dev and he says that no one else has bothered to complain about this.  I will tell him what's up but it would go a long way if everyone else would shoot him an email about it as well.  I really do think this can be fixed with an update to the app.  I am guessing that there is just something different about the Moment and the dev will need to tweak it a bit...  Please help me make this app the best it can be for our phones!  Thanks!

• 6. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Valued Member

It is not a Moment flaw...just played around with my girlfriend's old HTC Dream (G1) and installed SNES and GBA emulators on it...both were choppy...to play devil's advocate against the developer, he is obviosuly going to say there are not too many problems with cirtain models to make a bit of cash So, the developer needs to make an update eliminating bugs since I am confirm there is choppy sound with the Moment and Dream..so this obviously isn't a problem with just ONE Android device.

• 7. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

@ Chiccora,

Thanks for the info about the G1.  So I guess that makes 2...  I tried out the Droid today for about 45 minutes and it did not have sound problems at all.  In fact, I dare say that it played the roms a little smoother than the Moment, but I can not be sure.  What I will tell you, in all honesty, is that playing emulators on the Droid does not feel good at all!!  The keys are not set up (off set) so that you can set-up a cross-shape d-pad on the keys.  The dev updated the app so you can flip the screen upside down so you can use the d-pad...  This really doesn't work.  The d-pad is now too close to the top/sliding half of the Droid.  It is hard to play fighting games with this set-up (ex. fire balls in Street Fighter II) and the square d-pad makes it really easy to press down instead of left and so on...  not to mention that having the controls above the screen is a little awkward as well...  so alas, no Droid for me.  But the dev really needs to look into this!  I have paid the same price for this app that Droid, Cliq and Mytouch owners have but I am not getting all the benefits that the other carrier's androids are getting.  Call me picky, but I just want my android and the apps on it to be the best they can be.  Please don't forget to write the dev!

His email is:  freeman.yong@gmail.com 

• 8. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

One more thought...

Has anyone swapped out the 2 GB card that came with the Moment for a larger, faster class card?  I know the Droid comes with a 16 GB (class 6 I believe) card, I know, that's awesome!  ...and the Mytouch comes with a 4 GB...  The G1 and the Moment both come with only 2 GB, most likely class 2.  What is the problem is that the card is too small/slow for the roms to run at the speed that they are meant to?  Has anyone played roms on Nesoid with a larger/faster card and still experienced the sound issue?!  Thanks!

• 9. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Valued Member

It is a Moment flaw. The sound drivers on the phone only allow for 1kb of buffer, so if the cpu has any significant load, the sound gets put on the back burner.

• 10. Re: Nesoid/Snesoid on the Moment
    Regular Visitor

Lame!  Is this something that could be repaired in an update?!  How do the Moment sound drivers differ from the other Android phones?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points