This discussion is archived
1 2 3 31 Previous Next 461 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 1:42 PM by KenSanDiego RSS

Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

IzzyKS Sprint Employee
Currently Being Moderated

Sprint and HTC are currently developing a release of Windows Mobile 6.5 for the HTC Touch Pro2 that is expected to be available to customers by end of first quarter, 2010. This upgrade will not only provide updates to the Windows Mobile platform, but also significant enhancements to the Touch Pro2 user interface which will allow additional customization/personalization options and more integration with the applications users access most.

Click this link to read more about the HTC Touch Pro2 http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=irol-newsArticle_newsroom&ID=1325978&highlight=

3/19: Link to upgrade enhancement article. http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/155792#155792

Message was edited by: izzyks

• 1. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    mutiny32 Valued Member

I'm going to call you out on this. I KNOW that there has been a 6.5 ROM for Sprint since BEFORE the phone was available to purchase and it was undergoing general testing. I know this because someone with access to the software has said so. They didn't leak it, they just said that a build (with specific number and date of build) had been floating around internally (I'm guessing HTC or their US software distributor) for some time. This with the fact that ALL carriers globally EXCEPT for Sprint have officially released 6.5 for their respective Touch Pro 2 devices. Even every CDMA carrier that sells the Rhodium W has an official 6.5 build.

What is going on here? You guys have been so negligent about it that EVEN YOUR OWN SUPPORT SITE LINKS TO THE WRONG ROM UPDATE AND HAS SINCE SEPTEMBER. It links to the update for the Touch Pro.

Realistically though, who cares. After Sprint was specifically mentioned on CNN's front-page story covering the 2016 SMS issue that was being ignored, lo and behold, HTC releases a patch specifically for Sprint phones to fix it.

Sprint is the 3D Realms (Duke Nukem Forever) of the phone industry. They just keep on promising that the software should be out soon for so many devices, yet never deliver. At least Hero buyers got critical updates, but the Touch Pro 2 has had ringer issues and a SMS issue that they never fixed. That was until yesterday when CNN picked up the story and an official patch was released less than 24 hours later, but only after 14 days; while the hacking community had it fixed within a matter of hours.

I don't care if Sprint started selling pink Mattel hoverboards tomorrow. I wouldn't buy one if they were selling it. You guys need to get your heads out your ***** and start providing after-sale maintenance and updates for your products. We paid a lot of money for our phones and get snuffed on patches, updates, or upgrades unlike other carriers. Even Verizon is looking like they care more about whether their devices work than Sprint.

I don't want an apology or promise. Apologize after you release the ROM.

• 2. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    NRADTKE0527 Regular Visitor

Wow, you've got one heck of a sense of entitlement.  I'm waiting for this update too, but nowhere near with the anger you have about this.  Seriously, Sprint will release it when THEY decide its ready.  If you just NEED Windows Mobile 6.5 this very moment, go flash a custom ROM (MightyRom's pretty good).  Otherwise, quit whining and just wait like the rest of us!

Besides, the SMS patch wasn't the same as the community one.  The community one was a workaround that didn't fix the problem, just displayed the date differently, and the official one actually FIXED the issue.

• 3. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

This is a very big relief. Glad it's coming sooner that expected.

When can we expect update to Android 2.1?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    mutiny32 Valued Member

With the hassle and price I paid for this device, yeah, I feel entitled to complain. I understand that the HTC patch actually fixes the issue, that was not my point; it was that it was less than a day after CNN picked up on the problem that a fix was released. Nice timing.

About waiting, I'm not. I'm talking about other people who are who DON'T want to void their warranties to have the upgrade that should have been ready at or shortly after launch of Windows Mobile 6.5; the AT&T Tilt 2 launched with 6.5. I'm running a ROM with WinMo 6.5.3 including HTC's Sense UI 2.5 including Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Location-based weather with animation, as well as a bunch of other things like a battery life and performance that murders that of the stock Sprint ROM. I can use domestic GSM networks as well if I so please. I'm not angry about me not getting it, I'm mad about Sprint totally dragging their until the phone is practically EOL to release an update. That's not cool in my book and I find it unfair to people who bought this device under the guise that this would be worth what they paid. In stock form, it is most definitely not by a long stretch.

• 5. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    Regular Visitor

this is so awesome....I'll be waiting for it....

• 6. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    Valued Member

I just hope that since we are having to wait longer than the other main U.S. carriers for this upgrade, that the wait brings to us the latest iteration of Windows 6.5.  If that be the case, then the wait will have been worth it, and you will likely have many pleased TP2 owners.

• 7. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    ShayPThai Regular Visitor

Which version of 6.5 will this upgrade be?

• 8. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

shaythai wrote:

Which version of 6.5 will this upgrade be?

Don't have that answer yet. I'll post when I have an update.

• 9. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

Verizon has released Windows Mobile 6.5 for the HTC Touch Pro 2 .... Sprint needs to get on the ball !!

• 10. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

See Attached file for a message I wrote to Dan Hesse.  Also a thread referencing this issue on the HTC forum...

Why doesn't Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO, fix the upgrade / maintenance of phones process for Sprint cell phones?  This is such an important issue nowadays!!!  We have been continuous Sprint customers for 13 years, but if Dan Hesse doesn't fix this we are gonna leave Sprint for Verizon!  I hate Verizon, but I'm sick of the B.S. excuses from Sprint.  Also they often force general upgrades to dumb phones that are not customized for each specific phone model, thus ruining the functionality of many cell phone models!!!  My Sanyo M1's Sprint TV Upgrade ruined the functionality of the M1!  You can no longer see anything when the phone is closed, it just says "Application Running".  FIRE EVERYONE IN THAT DEPARTMENT DAN!!!  HIRE SOME HACKER GEEKS & PUT THEM IN CHARGE!!!  MAKE THE JOBS FUN, LIKE @ GOOGLE!!!  HIRE BRILLIANCE, SETTLE FOR NOTHING BUT THE BEST!!!  You could always hire some Hacker consultants on a job by job basis also.  Just please get it done!!!  http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/windows-phone/f/33/t/210.aspx

Message was edited by: MURF

• 11. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

And MS will announce WM 7.0 next week?

• 12. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    Regular Visitor

I really hoped this update would be released prior to tomorrow's announcement about Windows Mobile 7. Oh well. I guess we have to continue to wait for an update which will be obsolete when it becomes available.

• 13. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    Valued Member

Very sad indeed. Maybe Sprint want to surprise all with WM7 update instead? I doubt but it will nice move if the hardware are compatible.

• 14. Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint
    craigmielke Regular Visitor

Um yeah. Sure. "Surprise users with a release of Windows 7" Yeah right.

Now, anything Sprint releases will be a letdown, because 7 is completely different, and everyone else already has 6.5. Maybe we'll get 6.5 by "Holiday 2010"

Besides. Who would want Windows Phone 7 "Series" anyway? A completely unmodifiable interface, nothing from HTC in the Sense department, locked down user controls, and installs from marketplace only. Sheesh, if that's what I wanted, I'd go buy an iPhone. Sorry MS (and Sprint), you botched this one big time.

Yawn, back to watching the Olympics....

1 2 3 31 Previous Next