This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2011 12:57 AM by 1SILENT_1 RSS

Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

Currently Being Moderated

We have the 598U modem and just updated Sprint SmartView to version 2.28.0082.0

Now I've been checking the Event History Manager and every time I disconnect, it shows 2 sessions instead of 1 (the duration on the second one is always a few seconds off)

I've uploaded a screenshot: http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8168/ssvehm.jpghttp://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8168/ssvehm.jpg

I'm just worried that this might show that we're using twice as much data as we actually are...

Has anyone else had this problem after updating Sprint SmartView?

• 1. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

In November I got a bill for over 500.00 in overage charges because it showed me going over my 5 gb limit. I coundn't figure ut why and they offered a payment plan but basically said I was using too much. I have never gone over before. In dec that same thing was going to happen again. spent over a hour on the phone. They waived the charge because I contacted them before I got billed. I finally noticed the same thing you have happening. I was getting double booked. Jesus from Sprint walked me thru re-installing all my software and it stopped. They are refunding my overage charges. Now I notice yesterday it is doing it again. Now I am going to have to waste a bunch more of my time solving this again.

• 2. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

I have had the same problem.  My broadband usage consists of surfing the web and checking email and that's about it.  No downloading movies, songs, youtube etc...

my usage from from August - November 2009 consisted of about 1.8 to 2.4 GB per month.  I remember the software getting updated a few times at the end of the year and I'm not sure what version I currently have but my last three bills starting in Dec. which was for Nov. usage went up to :

Dec. 4.2 GB

Jan. 5.0 GB

Feb 7.5 GB

I'm not doing any more or less than I always have and couldn't figure out what was going on but this explains a lot.

Would I be better off contacting them now to get the overage fee waived or wait until the billing cycle is over and I have the exact amount for this month or call now.  I would assume call now but when I noticed the usage going out of control I called them a week ago and they said they couldn't do anything until the monthly cycle had ended.  I wasn't sure if I just talked to the wrong person or if that was the case.

On a side note.  I have logged onto my mobile broadband and have been watching the usage very closely over the last 2 weeks and 3 times my usage kept climbing and climbing at an alarming rate even when I wasn't going to a new webpage.  I was reading an email that had no pop-ups or rotating ads just a static page and my usage kept going up about 5 MB a minute.  Then oddly when my usage hit about 315 MB for the session it stopped no matter how many more emails or webpages I went to it didn't move from that 315 MB level.

Has anyone else had this problem of their usage shooting way up then stopping.  I do the same basic thing everytime I log on and usually if the usage monitor is working correctly I use about 15-20 MB for an hour and yes I made sure my computer wasn't getting an update or anything like that.

Also, does anything else know if someone can use your sprint card as a wifi spot while it's plug into your computer or laptop.  I was thinking maybe someone in the neighborhood might be using it and that is causing the useage problem?

• 3. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

Look at the screen capture at the top of this thread. see how it is double logging ? Is yours doing that also ? If it is, take a picture of the screen so you can show it to Sprint. I called the other day because mine is doing it again and they are aware of it. I even emailed the tech guy I was talking to a picture of my screen. He had never seen it before but his supervisor was aware. Let them know now that you will not accept any overage charges. The problem is on their end. They assured me that nobody can log on and use my system from another computer. That was my worry.

• 4. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

I'm not sure how to get to the event history manager.  but i will try and figure it out when I get home.. currently at work and don't have sprint card with me.  I did get a usb router some time ago that I can plug the device into to make a wireless network in my house.  I'm pretty sure it's set up with security and I don't think anyone could be using it, but I stopped using it when I noticed the usage was out of control.  I don't think that was the problem because the part where it would jump up to 315 MB and then stop happened when I put it directly into my computer since then and haven't used the router this month and my usage is still over 7 GB this month (monthly cycle ends today!)  I didn't know if I should call today or wait until the monthy cycle is over tomorrow.

• 5. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

It is easy to find. On your desktop Sprint log on box where you click "connect" to connect, there is a help button just above that, click "help', then click event history manager.

• 6. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

thanks for the help... do you know if the event history manager can show past days or just the current log that your currently doing.  If it can then I was browse those days that I noticed the usage going out of control versus other days when it seemed to be working fine.

I'm afraid that the log won't show double on those one days because the problem seemed to be that the useage kept going up to that certain point even when I wasn't surfing the web or doing anything?  I guess I'll just investigate it later.

Once again thanks for the help

• 7. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

Yes it should show the past days unless you clear the log. Since you haven't been to that page yet you haven't cleared the log.

• 8. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

I have the same problem and Sprint reps are clueless on how to solve the problem.

• 9. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)
    jengreg1 Newbie

It is so interesting to find that you all were having these problems, becuase i could not keep up with my bill the last 4 months i was having so many overages.  We were gone 2 weeks on vacation one of the months, and in august i kept it hidden often so that they could not go on the internet.  We still went way over on useage.  Now seeing this makes me think that it wasn't us suddenly using more internet. just as i had first thought.

• 10. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)
    FROSTBYTE Newbie

I am glad to see others are having this problem. When I tried to explain my problem to Sprint they explained to me how I could check my usage so I didn't go over........ I tried to explain to the Sprint person that was what I was doing when I noticed the double entries. Sprint then explained to me that downloading music and movies was normally the problem and I should be more careful and check my usage more often.

I am at a loss, I told the last Sprint rep that it was time to cancel my account, they told me it what it would cost to buy out of my contract, they made it sound outragous, and it would be, but with the overages they are charging me I would save money.

• 11. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Just to clarify, the Event History Manager should not be used nor was never intented to be used for billing purposes. For those with data overage issues, Sprint can look at the "call detail record" for data sessions. This shows events of connecting then disconnecting, data and time, and how many KB's were captured for that event. And because Sprint's tracks in Kilobytes, the #'s we see for these events are in the millions and seemingly very random.  If these logs from Smartview were accurate, then the same double billing would be easy to see in the call detail record. In other words, seeing 486,562 KB's in one event and then the same # of KBs time stamped a second later would absolutely be a point of concern. You can call Sprint and ask tech support to go over the billed call detail record; data events are still "calls" in terms of billing. Sprint, per the FCC, is not aloud to discuss UNbilled usage, usage that has not printed to a statement, at any time, but we can go over previous months.   It should also be mentioned that data CAN be transferred even though there isn't a web browser open. Just connecting transfers data. Or, programs that users maybe unaware of can be waiting for a connection to go active and transfer data in the background w/o the users knowledge.

• 12. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

I have recently switched to Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go (unlimited usage) after being repeatedly raped by Sprint's overage charges once they changed their Sprint SmartView software several months ago. I found it interesting that one can no longer use the software to keep track of usage, but didn't worry about it because I typically only used about 1/2 of the alloted 5G per month. Suddenly, I was being hit with huge bills because of overages. I called customer service, they would adjust my bill by taking off 1/2 the overages, which of course meant that I still had to pay the other half, which I did because I thought I had no other option. Customer service kept telling me that for what I use the internet for (browsing, NO u-tube videos, NO downloading music, TV episodes or movies) that there's no way that I should be going over the 5G. Normal usage was for internet browsing, playing some Facebook games. They "adjusted" my bill twice. Another odd thing is that this also happened shortly after I signed up for my plan, Sprint did the same thing (credited my account partially) and then it went back to normal for almost a year. Nothing had changed with with what I used my internet service for in all of this time.

Finally, I've seen the light. Sprint isn't going to fix whatever the problem is with their software (I do believe it's the problem and solution lies within the software for either the 598U modem or SmartView software). My solution? I switched over to Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go - unlimited usage for $40/month vs. Sprints $60/month (then add on another $150 or so in overages each month). For the first time, I'm watching u-tube videos and enjoying it very much, still haven't watched TV episodes or movies online yet and still most likely won't. I still owe on my Sprint account and will pay it off a bit every month, the late fees are still way better than dealing with $60/month + overages - even if they credit 1/2 the overages. My contract ends in 2-3 months, still worth it to make the switch. Sprint doesn't care if they lose customers to this, they're still able to make money on you and the overages for the time they have you as a customer so why should they actually try to fix the problem?

Sprint has been aware of this problem for a very long time, but it's still works for them, why change what they can still make money from? All we can do is hope that someday there is a class action lawsuit and that those affected will get some of their money back. Meanwhile..... copies of my bills and my complaint will be filed with my state's attorney general now that I'm being pressured into setting up a payment plan using my bank account (which isn't going to happen). As dishonest as Sprint has been with their internet plan, they sure aren't going to be given access to my bank account.

• 13. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)
    1SILENT_1 Newbie

I am not sure where the problems is but am inclined to believe it is double billing on SPRINTS part. i had an account for 2 years with a 3g air card.had some problems with it but nothing like i have had the last 9 months.In march 2010, icalled to renew my contract.i had 3g unlimited acess already. I wanted the same agreement renewed. I wqs told that Sprint no longer had 3g unlimited and didn't have it for 2 years now. I told them i aready had it just wanted it renewed. I was told i couldn't have 3g unlimited , not available any longer. Then i was told about the 3g/4g  connection.After about an hour and a half discussion with 4 reps, I agreed to the 3g/4g card.This was under the condition that i kept my unlimited acess.I was told the 3g connection hads a 5g cap and 4g would be unlimited.I live in Denver Colorado and was informed the 4g would be available around October 2010, but my overages would be watched and could be adjusted depending on usage.I agreed to this.I was sent a 3g/4g card which i installed on my PC.From the start i had connection problems.I was with tech support at least everyother week if not more.Then around August 2010 i recieved a bill with $ 190.00 in overages.I flipped out and was on phone with Sprint about 5 hours.I still didn't have a 4g connection yet.After the 5 hours i did recieve a credit for the overages.

In September 2010 , the real problems began. My connection would last about 5  to  10 mins then disconnect.I was picking a 4g signal and card would automatically switch to 4g signal.When it would disconnect it would not go back to 3g.I would try for anywhere from an hour to 5  ,  6 hours to get connected to 3 g.Sometimes it would connect , sometimes it wouldn't.If the 4g signal came back it would switch.Then the same thing would happen again.I would call tech support.There i would talk to anywhere from 3  to  5techs each time.I would be passed on to other because they weren't sure what was wrong.They didn't know is my opinion.Dont' know how many times i pinged my modem  and uninstalled and re installed smartview.I had told customer service by now that i was ready to cancel my agreement.I was reminded of the early cancellation fee.I informed them there wouldn't be one but was informed there wuld be.I then infomed them that i would go to court with them and file breach of contract charges.I couldn't connect  and they couldn't fix it.Then i wqas told i would have to take 3g/4g card to service center.I said sure . There i was informed after a 2 hour wait that the card was checked and it was good. I asked if the 4g connection was good.The tech said it was.Then he told me they had checked the whole device out on a "3G" connection.I asked how did he check the 4g connection and he said it was good he checked it himself.I asked him who else checked it  and he said he was the only one who did as they were busy.MY QUESTION TO SPRINT IS " HOW DO YOU CHECK A 4G CONNECTION ON A 3G NETWORK".About 2 weeks later a tech support named Mary asked me what card did i hve with my 3g contract.I told her I still had it  she wanted to try something. I agreed  with her.She re-activeted my 3g card and connected in about 1 second.I have been using it since then.I took my 3g/4g card  back to the service center and it wqs re-checked. I was told it was still good.Went home and what do u think happened?

Still couldn't connect with it so i put my 3g card back on  computer. Still connecting .

Then the real fun started. For 1 month my usage was about 4.9 gigs. Then it went up to over 9 gigs 4 gigs in overages.Was finally credited for the overages after about 4 hours on phone and about 5 reps.I informed them thay had to credit me or i would cancel now and see them in court.The very next month had about 2.5 gigs in overages.There is my wife and i and nothing has changed.W dont downlaod movies and very little music if any.In the meantime since i am connecting with my 3g card. they have changed my plan to a 3g plan. I informed them i wanted the 3g/4g planned i renewed for 2 years  back.They tld me i couldn't have it because i was connecting with 3g.That isn't my fault and didn't authorize any change in my plan.They told me i had to get my card fixed .I told them i had taken card to service center  twice and was told it was good.I asked how come i couldn't connect ans was told " I DONT KNOW "This from a tech supprot person.Why cant they send me a new card?

Because they say the card is good and cant send a new one.Sprint is going to get my 30 day notice to quit and there wont. be any fees paid by me.Lets go to court.Either that or i want a new modem to get my 4g connection as i had agreed with in April 2010.

I dont know if anyone has had similar problems but i am willing to bet there are alot .

ROBERT  TUTTLE

• 14. Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)
    1SILENT_1 Newbie

I am not sure where the problems is but am inclined to believe it is double billing on SPRINTS part. i had an account for 2 years with a 3g air card.had some problems with it but nothing like i have had the last 9 months.In march 2010, icalled to renew my contract.i had 3g unlimited acess already. I wanted the same agreement renewed. I wqs told that Sprint no longer had 3g unlimited and didn't have it for 2 years now. I told them i aready had it just wanted it renewed. I was told i couldn't have 3g unlimited , not available any longer. Then i was told about the 3g/4g  connection.After about an hour and a half discussion with 4 reps, I agreed to the 3g/4g card.This was under the condition that i kept my unlimited acess.I was told the 3g connection hads a 5g cap and 4g would be unlimited.I live in Denver Colorado and was informed the 4g would be available around October 2010, but my overages would be watched and could be adjusted depending on usage.I agreed to this.I was sent a 3g/4g card which i installed on my PC.From the start i had connection problems.I was with tech support at least everyother week if not more.Then around August 2010 i recieved a bill with $ 190.00 in overages.I flipped out and was on phone with Sprint about 5 hours.I still didn't have a 4g connection yet.After the 5 hours i did recieve a credit for the overages.

In September 2010 , the real problems began. My connection would last about 5  to  10 mins then disconnect.I was picking a 4g signal and card would automatically switch to 4g signal.When it would disconnect it would not go back to 3g.I would try for anywhere from an hour to 5  ,  6 hours to get connected to 3 g.Sometimes it would connect , sometimes it wouldn't.If the 4g signal came back it would switch.Then the same thing would happen again.I would call tech support.There i would talk to anywhere from 3  to  5techs each time.I would be passed on to other because they weren't sure what was wrong.They didn't know is my opinion.Dont' know how many times i pinged my modem  and uninstalled and re installed smartview.I had told customer service by now that i was ready to cancel my agreement.I was reminded of the early cancellation fee.I informed them there wouldn't be one but was informed there wuld be.I then infomed them that i would go to court with them and file breach of contract charges.I couldn't connect  and they couldn't fix it.Then i wqas told i would have to take 3g/4g card to service center.I said sure . There i was informed after a 2 hour wait that the card was checked and it was good. I asked if the 4g connection was good.The tech said it was.Then he told me they had checked the whole device out on a "3G" connection.I asked how did he check the 4g connection and he said it was good he checked it himself.I asked him who else checked it  and he said he was the only one who did as they were busy.MY QUESTION TO SPRINT IS " HOW DO YOU CHECK A 4G CONNECTION ON A 3G NETWORK".About 2 weeks later a tech support named Mary asked me what card did i hve with my 3g contract.I told her I still had it  she wanted to try something. I agreed  with her.She re-activeted my 3g card and connected in about 1 second.I have been using it since then.I took my 3g/4g card  back to the service center and it wqs re-checked. I was told it was still good.Went home and what do u think happened?

Still couldn't connect with it so i put my 3g card back on  computer. Still connecting .

Then the real fun started. For 1 month my usage was about 4.9 gigs. Then it went up to over 9 gigs 4 gigs in overages.Was finally credited for the overages after about 4 hours on phone and about 5 reps.I informed them thay had to credit me or i would cancel now and see them in court.The very next month had about 2.5 gigs in overages.There is my wife and i and nothing has changed.W dont downlaod movies and very little music if any.In the meantime since i am connecting with my 3g card. they have changed my plan to a 3g plan. I informed them i wanted the 3g/4g planned i renewed for 2 years  back.They tld me i couldn't have it because i was connecting with 3g.That isn't my fault and didn't authorize any change in my plan.They told me i had to get my card fixed .I told them i had taken card to service center  twice and was told it was good.I asked how come i couldn't connect ans was told " I DONT KNOW "This from a tech supprot person.Why cant they send me a new card?

Because they say the card is good and cant send a new one.Sprint is going to get my 30 day notice to quit and there wont. be any fees paid by me.Lets go to court.Either that or i want a new modem to get my 4g connection as i had agreed with in April 2010.

I dont know if anyone has had similar problems but i am willing to bet there are alot .

ROBERT  TUTTLE

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points