This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2010 2:21 PM by ClaudiPo RSS

Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......

Currently Being Moderated

Just a quick story that shows another benefit of this service.   My wife had her phone stolen at a local salon.   We called the police and they wrote a report and told us they could not address the situation unless the phone was used.  We were totally in misery.  Our phone contained so many memories and contacts that would be lost forever.  It seemed we had no options.   Then I remembered we had Sprint Family Locator and used it.   We followed the phone for 3 days until we found were the location was over night.   My wife drove to the location and called the police.  They came and searched 2 vehicles that were there and beleive it or not ....FOUND THE PHONE.  It was returned and even the police can not beleive it.    Take home message ...   GET SPRINT FAMILY LOCATOR .... for many reasons.

Douglas Green, MD

• 1. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    amusinger Newbie

SFL  gives you only a 0.5 radius to search within.  How long did the police look for it?  Mine could not be found because they half mile it was in had several apartment complexes.  Did you have to leave it w/ the police for a while?

• 2. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    braibn Newbie

I have a similiar story.  My mother's phone was stolen from her job.  I used the Family Locator to track it for several days and once I knew for sure where the person lived, I went to her house with the police and retrieved my mother's phone.  I am so grateful for this service.

• 3. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    baddass17 Newbie

Not to knock the success stories here concerning SFL, but I would like to know the circumstances the "police" were able to just go in and search a vehicle or search a house for a cell phone.  Being that I am a law enforcement officer here in Florida employed by the Leon County Sheriff's Office (Tallahassee, Fl) as a Deputy Sheriff, I am aware that you cannot just go and search someone's vehicle or residence without obtaining the owner's consent or a search warrant signed by a judge first.  I would just like someone to clarify the circumstances surrounding the cell phone retrieval by "police" that you've posted here, because it can mislead or be taken by other Sprint customers in such a way that they believe if you get SFL on your phone and get a location, you can call "police" to respond to you location, and they can just barge in and search a vehicle or residence just because SFL says the cell phone should be there, which is definitely not the case pertaining to law

• 4. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    GypsyMagick1 Regular Visitor

I am a new sprint customer and when I found out this was avalible I signed my son on and so far it seems to be alright  and as a parent this brings a little peace of mind in this time of kids missing and every bit of extra help that is avalible to parents helps,but sprint should do more advertising about this I feel if more parents knew that this they may switch to sprint.The only drawback about it is the phone can't "locate" a missing child if their phone is off when  I tested it the acuracy was off a few 50 feet or so other than that I would highly recommend this to other parents!!

• 5. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    sunshinedaisy623 Newbie

Yes I am interested in maybe getting this service but i have a teenager and she's not cool with me knowing where she is at all times. so i was wondering when u activate it to search for the phone is the child notified? I was told by a sprint employee that the phone would notify the person that the phone was being search for. can u answer this question?

• 6. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    GypsyMagick1 Regular Visitor

Hi,

To answer your question yes it will notify them but (they can always delete the message) another good point with this is if she ever loses her phone OR it gets stolen you can locate it  maybe she would accept it better this way.

Talk to her and stress the point if it would become lost she'd be able to get all her text it's been a long time since i was a teen but in this day parents should become more tech wise .

I hope your able to convince her.

• 7. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    sunshinedaisy623 Newbie

Thanks for your quick response. I'll consider that option on the text issue she may go for that. thanks again.

• 8. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    beachlovera Newbie

Yes, the user will be notified. My ex-boyfriend was still sharing an account with me after we broke up and he decided he wanted to know where I was and turned it on and I got a messsage saying it was activated. Also he was not the account holder, I was so she shouldn't ha been able to do it. These people that are saying it works within 50 feet of where the phone is are not 100% accurate...when he tracked me it said iwas about 3-4 cities over from where I really was... good luck.

• 9. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    trentontc Newbie

when you activate the phone, activate the SFL and delete the message before you give her the phone. It's ok to not tell your kids about SFL because if you tell them they will talk about it at school and they can turn it off. The Location settings On lets you locate the phone, OFF will not show up on SFL. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the parents who are unaware of that. Otherwise, good luck with your teenagers new phone!

• 10. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    skr0gg Newbie

I'm guessing an officer could use probable cause.  As the phone is reported stolen there should be a case number.  If someone has reliable information and presents that information to an officer then the officer has an obligation, duty, to investigate.  Also, with that kind of information a officer should be able to obtain a search warrant depending on the current radius.  For example, my phone actually uses GPS.  In Fort Worth, where I am located,  My location is usually with in 500m.  Which is not even the size of your average home or apartment.  I also know, due to the nature of my work, that the technology exist to locate what floor a device is on.  It was developed to locate kidnapped children who may have a phone or a chip on their jewelry.  Thoght I'd let you know.

• 11. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    toliveistodie8 Newbie

[Message has been deleted by moderator - unacceptable and off-topic content]

Message was edited by: dshoem01

• 12. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    baddass17 Newbie

In response to toliveistodie8, I can see from the tone of your text, as everyone else on this forum should be able to, that you have some deep rooted issues with law enforcement due to the fact your message has NOTHING to do with Sprint's Family Locator (the topic of this thread).  I am a bit more professional and disciplined to bring myself down to your level with the insults, so I won't.  However, I will say this, the next time you feel the need to vent some frustrations that you may have concerning your LOCAL law enforcement agency or Officers, I suggest you go onto a thread that is dealing with that topic.  That way you would refrain from presenting yourself as a total idiot to the masses who may be reading this thread.  For one, the way you responded is no where near professional, and two, to state the remarks you made towards me not even having not even having met me nor having come into contact with me, is sarcastic and idiotic in the least.  If you must know, I for one hold my position and the way I treat ALL people I come into contact with (good and bad) in a very respectful and professional manner.  I admit that there are what is deemed as bad law enforcement officers out there, but I pride myself in not being one of them.  Believe me, those of us that are good want them weeded out just as much as the public does because it makes us all look bad.  The next time you feel as if you want and should treat all law enforcement officers as bad, just think what would happen if law enforcement officers took the same attitude as you, wanting and treating all citizens as bad.

• 13. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    crnjoka Newbie

Are police officers scared of those thugs who break in the car and steal other people property, I know it's easier to pull over regular working people and give them ticket  for speeding and such. Police is to protect and serve i tough but which side you are on. I was told by officer i can't go in someone's house just because of the phone. Yes my phone cost around 300$ and broken glass on the car another 200$ after i located phone using SFL i was told by officer that is why we have insurance. I'm talking to detective about it  so let see how are police will solve the case where SFL show them real criminals.

• 14. Re: Sprint Family Locator - Get it use it ......
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

I'm locking this thread as the contributions have no longer anything to do with wireless services and technology.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...