This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 2:25 PM by IzzyKS RSS

HTC HERO and GPS problems

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Background: I own 3 HTC Heros in my business. I have found that the gps stops working accurately and I have to remove battery and reset phones for gps to function correctly again.Working inaccurately means that the gps can't find my current location. Instead of my true current location the gps software (same problem with google maps and sprint navigation, if one is not working, then the other is not as well) will place me miles (sometimes hundreds of miles) away. As soon as I reset (not a hard reset, just remove battery and reboot), everything works fine until problem starts up again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Been thinking that it might be an app that I downloaded that uses gps function and screws something up, e.g., Where.

One thing that would be really helpful in trying to figure out what is going on is a way to reset phone without having to remove battery. Anyone know if this is possible?

• 1. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

Called sprint about this problem. Was sent to advanced tech support. They had nothing in their error tracing software about it. Got them to transfer me to HTC. Spoke with someone (customer service?? didn't sound like an engineer) there. After telling him the problem, he said that HTC knew about the problem and that it was a conflict between "Google gps" and "network location services, e.g., cell tower location". After speaking with someone else in background, he said the only fix available (until 2.1 upgrade) was to turn "network location" off in settings and just use gps. Of course, when one tries to do this, neither gps nor network location systems work. So much for HTC and Sprint tech support!!!

• 2. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    PPHILL6 Regular Visitor

I feel your pain I been having this trouble since I got my phone in oct. Sometimes I can go 100-200hrs uptime with no problems. Then somedays the gps can't find the sat in with no clouds in the sky.

Message was edited by: Pat76

• 3. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    segar123 Expert

Have you tried the gps update they sent out several weeks ago?  After the update mine seems to work extremely well.

• 4. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

I have posted on this a couple of times.  I am on my 4th Hero due to issues with the others.  The first three did not have this problem, but my current one does and it is very annoying when Google Maps and Sprint Nav do not work due to either not being able to locate me or (with google maps) locating me sometimes 100 miles or more away from where I really am.

Sometimes the power cycle with battery removal does not work either, its almost like the GPS chip has a mind of its own.  It will work just fine for days or weeks and then all of a sudden can't find me for a few days.

I hope a fix is included in the 2.1 release cause I can't take all the problems with this phone anymore (especially the lag).

One person noted that there was a GPS update available.  I have not heard or seen nothing about a GPS update, can you provide details on where this update can be found and what it specifically does?

• 5. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    segar123 Expert

I read about the gps update on these threads and followed the instructions.  did ota and it worked very well.

• 6. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

Just to be clear, don't you mean "sprint navigation" update to version 2.8 and not literally gps update. The latter would imply that there was an update for gps that affected all gps enabled software, e.g., google maps, where, yellowbook, and sprint navigation. The former is is just an update for the sprint navigation software and not gps, per se.

I would love to find out how wide-spread the gps location failure is. That is, on how many phones is this a problem and do some phones display the problem more frequently than others (or even some not at all). If the problem frequency varies from phone to phone then either it is a hardware issue (e.g., sensitivity of gps receiver or ???) or whether it shows its ugly head depends on what software is being or has been run (that is, it is a interaction between different routines). It seems to happen to me about every 3 or 4 days, maybe I can go as much as a week at a  time without having to reset.

Although we really can't trust the HTC person I spoke with on the phone because he did not seem to know that his temporary fix simply shuts off all location services, he did say that HTC was aware of the problem and that it was caused by a conflict in "google software" between the gps location system and the cell tower location system. The next time my gps goes out on one of our phones, I will try turning off cell tower location and then turning it back on (without resetting the phone) to see if this gets gps to work correctly again. It would be a faster temp fix than a soft reset if it does work. Will report results when I get them.

• 7. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    segar123 Expert

You are correct the update was to Sprint Navigation.  But I haven't had this problem since the update.   Maybe I haven't used it enough though to have the problem.

• 8. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Valued Member

i used to have this problem as well - and afaict, the sprint-nav update did-indeed fix it...  my guess is that the sprint-nav was holding a cache to the gps-data that was causing the 'errors' - and that things are being automatically-cleared now...  thus, try the sprint-nav-update and see if it helps...  gl, h.

• 9. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems

I have had the problem since updating Sprint Navigation. It doesn't mean that maybe some other app isn't causing the same thing to happen on mine, but it's not just due to Sprint Nav, and may not be even related.

And dr3223, holding down the Power/End button at the home screen brings up a menu that has "Power Off" as an option that doesn't require battery removal.

• 10. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

I second this, I have had the Sprint Nav update since it was released.  In fact I think the problem happens more often now that I have the update.

• 11. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

I don't think the problem is associated with Sprint Navigation update. I say this because when the phone can't find itself in Sprint Nav, it can't find itself in Google Maps, Where or Yellowbook (all of which use gps). After a reset, if one program works, they work. If one doesn't work, they all don't work. Remember that the HTC rep said HTC was aware of the problem and that it was something that was supposed to be fixed with an update in Android operating system (assuming this actually happens). Thus, the problem could well be located in operating system.

The one thing that seems strange to me is that everyone is  not complaining about this. Could it be that some phones have the  problem and others don't. If so, it would be a hardware problem and not  Android operating system (since all sprint Heros have the same operating system). What about rooted phones with different ROM  sets? Anyone have one or know someone who does? Have they reported problems with gps?

Regardless, I am still very annoyed by this problem. We all did pay for a phone and service that included gps location services.

• 12. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    Regular Visitor

I found one other person on HTCwiki.com discussion board who reported the same problem with HTC Hero on T-Mobile:

"On my HTC Hero (T-Mobile NL edition, Android 1.6) I often have to stop and restart the GPS to have it working again (e.g. in Google maps), otherwise it remains stuck and can't find the current location even in open areas. Also restarting does not always work.
    Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?
    Thanks, Giovanni"

So, it is possible that the problem is not Sprint Navigation upgrade.

• 13. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems
    CFBARLOW Regular Visitor

My Google Maps is all messed up, I live in Chicgao and everytime i say "show my location" in Google Maps it shows me either in Indiana, Iowa, in the middle of Lake Michigan, or far southern Illinois( usually in the middle of a field or something).  This has started happening in the last month, at first a re-start fixed it, and it only came up when "up time" was over 150 hours, but now it happens everytime!! This is so darn annoying!  Sprint? Google? What the heck is up with this?

Message was edited by: lowertar

• 14. Re: HTC HERO and GPS problems

I have also been having GPS problems, and also many others. I am on my second hero since december and they are getting me a third today. Every time I go in they do a hard reset and tell me the next update will fix the problem but it seems to be getting worse, I even had a store manager tell me if I want GPS go buy a Tom Tom and another tell me the problem is probably because I am in a moving car. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a GPS on your phone I think. Pulling out the battery works most of the time but not always, which I think is stupid, if you pay good money for a phone it should work. I found there are many others with the same problem after searching around the internet but every time I go to the store they tell me they have never heard about that issue before which is a crock of $H!T. Today my phone re booted itself twice while laying on the kitchen counter, then later in the day every time I unlocked it it came up saying error code 101 system failure so I brought it in and they said nothing was wrong with it.I also noticed that C-net lowered their rating of the hero on the sprint web site. After 11 years with Sprint I think I am just going to eat the $200 to break my contract and buy an I Phone. I've already wasted more than that leaving work to spend an hour at the sprint store 8 times.

Hope you have better luck!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points