This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2010 8:47 PM by Adam_Davis RSS

Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?

Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

What about the convergence between WiMAX data with iDEN voice/PTT?  Allegedly, that line of handsets that Motorola developed was referred to as "Harmony".  Will there be a Harmony line of handsets coming to Nextel soon, or is that merely a pipedream?

(moved to new thread, since it's a new question.  edited subject.  w.england)

Message Edited by wengla02 on 01-29-2009 01:08 PM

• 1. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Sprint Employee

This is certainly something we are considering as the leaders in both PTT and WiMax

• 2. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

Well, if I may, STOP CONSIDERING AND GET MOTOROLA TO START MAKING THESE DEVICES! Personally, despite the negative impact that I personally (and iDEN users in general) have experienced ever since this merger, putting out some serious "Harmony" devices would guarantee you guys having at least this user for most likely the next 4 to 10 years, at least! And I'm assuming that such devices would retail (like the Nextel of old) with NO DISCOUNTS, and a MSRP starting around $599.99 or so.

And what rate plan to put along with it? Well, that may be a bit more difficult. But here's a solution that I think may help (whether you guys agree with it or not, is a different story):

New iDEN-MAX Rate plans (all contain the following):

1. Truly unlimited data access (primary is via WiMAX, though handsets default to iDEN where/when WiMAX is not available)

2. Night and Weekend minutes starting at 9pm (7pm for $5 more/month)

3. Unlimited International Messaging (SMS and MMS, to anyone...in the world!) while within the U.S.

4. Anytime Voice plan minutes begin at 500 (additional 500 minutes increments can be added for $5 each)

5. Unlimited Nationwide PTT (international PTT for $10/month more

6. Unlimited BB service (only because I'm not sure that WiMAX could cover this) for $20/month extra

So, what price point would make sense? Well, given that unlimited "Xohm" in Baltimore costs $25/month for the early adopters, that's a great starting point. So, here's what I would propose:

1. iDEN-MAX 500 - $60

2. iDEN-MAX 1500 - $70

3. iDEN-MAX Unlimited - $100

Now, granted, I don't know the costs of delivering such services, but given current rate plans, and the cost of service historically, I think these are fairly reasonable rate plans. If I'm wrong and I seriously underestimated the costs of providing such services, then I do sincerely apologize.

But the point is this: Give me a Harmony flip phone with one of the above rate plans and I would upgrade away from my grandfathered plan into one of the above in a nanosecond! Heck, take away my discount that I currently have, it wouldn't matter. The above, as far as wireless is concerned, definitely peaks my interests. I think it would peak others' interests as well.

• 3. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

Here's an idea... How about getting Motorola to convert their new MOTOPRIZM (see picture below) into their "Harmony" lineup? based on what I've read about it thus far, that would be one killer iDEN/WiMAX phone....IF it ever saw the light of day that is.

MOTOPRIZM

• 4. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

Interesting development that I thought I'd add in...

Verizon is now beta testing the Motorola Krave ZN4's successor known as...

...the Motorola Inferno!

The Motorola Inferno

Perhaps SprintNextel should be pressing Motorola for that Harmony handset a bit sooner than even I thought would be necessary.

• 5. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Regular Visitor

The only thing special about iDEN is the off-network walkie-talkie. The rest of it, including cell-based PTT, works more efficiently over CDMA Rev.A. To placate the nextel veterans, Sprint needs to make one special extra-big phone model containing the off-network 850 MHz walkie-talkie transceiver. Otherwise all phones and features should work over CDMA Rev.A for everyone, so the iDEN money pit can be shut down! We could all have had a lot wider coverage by now if 37 Billion Dollars had been spent on putting up new towers, instead of 37 Billion Dollars having been wasted on buying an obsolete and troubled iDEN network, fixing it, and trying to keep it going.

• 6. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

sp13 wrote:

The only thing special about iDEN is the off-network walkie-talkie. The rest of it, including cell-based PTT, works more efficiently over CDMA Rev.A. To placate the nextel veterans, Sprint needs to make one special extra-big phone model containing the off-network 850 MHz walkie-talkie transceiver. Otherwise all phones and features should work over CDMA Rev.A for everyone, so the iDEN money pit can be shut down! We could all have had a lot wider coverage by now if 37 Billion Dollars had been spent on putting up new towers, instead of 37 Billion Dollars having been wasted on buying an obsolete and troubled iDEN network, fixing it, and trying to keep it going.

Wow, you are so misinformed. PTT over iDEN requires so little of the networks resources whereas PTT over CDMA requires a tremendous amount of bandwidth. That alone speaks to the sheer LACK of efficiency on CDMA. Add to it the concept that you think "an extra-big phone" will placate the Nextel user base. Um...hello, Sprint tried that...they called those phones PowerSource (PoS) phones. Interestingly, 80% of all PoSs that were sold went to legacy Sprint users, not legacy Nextel users. So your presumption is off base, to say the least. Then there's your blatantly ignorant comment thta iDEN is a "money pit". Funny, but pre-merger, Nextel was not only able to spend easily $2B+ on CAPEX, but still had money left over to report earnings per share. Yes, EARNINGS! You know, that thing that Sprint hasn't had since they opted to only promote Sprint. If Sprint did NOTHING to Nextel, Nextel would have been able to drop back down to a mere 13M subs and still generate earnings (and have money left for CAPEX). The wasted $37B that you speak of is on the money that we as shareholders have allowed Sprint management to **** away. There was nothing wrong financially with Nextel pre-merger. In fact, it was outperforming everyone in the industry in all but one metric! So to put the entire blame on Nextel is 1) unrealistic, 2) short-sighted, 3) boneheaded, 4) ignorant of the facts, and 5) simply traditional Sprint MO - blame anyone and everyone except yourself.

• 7. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    jwesemanmsu Expert

quasijedi wrote:

sp13 wrote:

Wow, you are so misinformed. PTT over iDEN requires so little of the networks resources whereas PTT over CDMA requires a tremendous amount of bandwidth. That alone speaks to the sheer LACK of efficiency on CDMA. Add to it the concept that you think "an extra-big phone" will placate the Nextel user base. Um...hello, Sprint tried that...they called those phones PowerSource (PoS) phones. Interestingly, 80% of all PoSs that were sold went to legacy Sprint users, not legacy Nextel users. So your presumption is off base, to say the least. Then there's your blatantly ignorant comment thta iDEN is a "money pit". Funny, but pre-merger, Nextel was not only able to spend easily $2B+ on CAPEX, but still had money left over to report earnings per share. Yes, EARNINGS! You know, that thing that Sprint hasn't had since they opted to only promote Sprint. If Sprint did NOTHING to Nextel, Nextel would have been able to drop back down to a mere 13M subs and still generate earnings (and have money left for CAPEX). The wasted $37B that you speak of is on the money that we as shareholders have allowed Sprint management to **** away. There was nothing wrong financially with Nextel pre-merger. In fact, it was outperforming everyone in the industry in all but one metric! So to put the entire blame on Nextel is 1) unrealistic, 2) short-sighted, 3) boneheaded, 4) ignorant of the facts, and 5) simply traditional Sprint MO - blame anyone and everyone except yourself.

I would like to give you a high five right now!

• 8. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?

Ditto!

• 9. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

Well, folks.  I think it's a given with Dan Hesse's recent remarks on that PBS program interview he made.  He said, to paraphrase, that Sprint way overpaid for Nextel, and that "the reality" is that Nextel brougth very little to the table that was of any value.

Oh really?

So 1.9Ghz, 2.5Ghz, and all that 800/900 Mhz spectrum was worthless?

The nearly 20M iDEN users (17M post-paid) that were generating ARPU of $69  was worthless?

Q-chat, the ONLY real viable option on CDMA for PTT, was worthless?

Let's also not forget that all the business customers that Nextel had...were considered worthless?

Mr. Hesse is clueless...and that's why this company contines to (and will continue to) fail.

When you kiss Nextel goodbye, you are also flushing your future down the drain.  Congrats Mr Hesse for being a toiletbowl.

• 10. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

Hmmm...so it appears that Motorola is preparing to give us iDEN users some introduction to Android via the Motorola Opus One.  Hmmm...it's just good enough (though not ideal, at least not for me) to get me to upgrade (assuming I don't have to upgrade my rate plan) to that phone.  However, it better have AT LEAST WiFi (preferably WiMAX) on it in order for me to do so.  But if it does have WiMAX, then I will GLADLY upgrade my rate plan.  After all, why wouldn't I?

Oh, and in the mean time, Mr. Hesse....congrats yet again on losing yet another 800,000 post-paid subs, and still managing to post a net-loss in total subscribers.  Only you could do this, Mr. Hesse.  Only you.   You should be so proud that you single-handedly have caused this company to lose over 5M subscribers since you were made CEO.  Good job.  I hope you put that on your CV / resume.   Such a great, note-worthy accomplishment.  Even I couldn't have done that poorly if I was CEO.   Kudos!

• 11. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Gold Expert

And the beat goes on.  Mr. Hesse again reports net losses in post-paid users...and those losses were NOT offset by gains in pre-paid.  Oh, the irony eh?  ARPU again has dropped, and churn remains above 2.1%.  Yeah, great job Mr. Hesse.  When you continue to post net losses on the post-paid side, perhaps you should take a look at why.

Most of your losses this time around were on the iDEN side.  Why?  Because you SIMPLY REFUSE to give us iDEN users what we want and need:

1. A compelling SET of handsets.  Not just 1 handset, but several.  Here's an idea.  How about adopting for us iDEN users a rule that no future iDEN phone will be manufactured without having WiFi modules in it?  That would help.  If there aren't any compelling phones, who wants to waste their time with the network?

2. An expanding network.  The reason people are dumping iDEN is because there is a severe lacking in the amount of coverage that exists.   At least with Sprint CDMA, the limited native coverage is somewhat offset by the stellar roaming that one can have on Verizon's CDMA network.  That's not possible with iDEN.  So the network needs to be built out.  Plain and simple.  DO IT ALREADY!

3. How about some cool plans for post-paid users that are actually BETTER than those for pre-paid?  If all you can offer iDEN post-paid is $59.99 for a limited amount of voice minutes and unlimited data, why would we stay instead of jumping to a cheaper $50 flat fee where we get EVERYTHING?  Um...hello?!?  Is anyone up in management even alive, let alone listening?  Or are you all too darn braindead to care?

4. Here's a novel idea...how about actually advertising Nextel as a post-paid BRAND!  Wow...that would be interesting, wouldn't it?  It might cause this company to actually GAIN post-paid subscribers...and do so in a significant way.

• 12. Re: Motorola Harmony / WiMAX - IDEN devices?
    Adam_Davis Regular Visitor

Talk about resucatating an old thread..........in doing some digging regard the phones that QJ was referencing here, I came across this:http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/12/18/new.motorola.handsets/    Take a look at the Motorola Fairbanks.......seem like a phone familar to another provider....hint:   Can you hear me now?

Here is a link to view with your own eyeballs:http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5028

I most often thought about this one when I was with Verizon......... What?? Verizon, you mean Sprint had the oppertunity to pick this phone up for Nextel and have WiMax capabilities.......**** that burns me.  It's oh so obvious..thats all I am saying.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...