This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 2:51 PM by 666santana RSS

I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....

Currently Being Moderated

I've had two lines (mobile broadband and cell phone) w/Sprint, on a prepaid basis, for about seven years and I'm thinking seriously about switching providers.

Why? #1 Sprint won't ever reexamine my credit standing (or lack of) with them, I've been "prepaid" for seven years now, and I don't see Sprint allowing me to have a "regular" plan with them, and, #2, I've read that Sprint now charges prepaid customers an additional $4.95 per month per line because, well, just because they can.

I've tried talking w/Sprint on Twitter and Facebook to no avail, maybe I can get a response here, who knows.

(ATT/Verizon/TMobile: are u listening?)

http://twitter.com/markmayhew

• 1. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

It sounds like you need to talk with someone in the credit department. Call customer service and ask to speak with a credit representative. Please keep us updated on the progress. There are several reps that come to this site as well.

• 2. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....

thanks (or are u a bot?!)

• 3. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

I'm one of several moderators on the Community. In regards to this particular forum/group, we are not customer service agents but can help steer people in the right direction as needed. Make sense?

• 4. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....

great, then you should be able to answer: does Sprint now charge an additional $4.95 per month per line on prepaid accounts? I think I read that Sprint does now, beginning in December '09 or so.

• 5. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....
    Regular Visitor

Well, ASL acnts are being charged 4.99 per acnt not per line if you want this charged to be removed you have to enroll in the autopay program. And in  order to remove an acnt from the spending limit program, you need to have 12 months of good payment history in order to become an open acnt.

hope this helps

• 6. Re: I've had two lines with Sprint for seven years but....
    666santana Newbie

Those who fail to enroll in autopay and have a bad payment history are subject to what amounts to a preemptive $4.99 late fee.  But let's call it what it is - a penalty for being poor.  Good job looking out for your customers in this economic downturn Sprint!

And lets not ignore the $0.40 "regulatory fee" increase Sprint hit *all* of it's customers with starting in January (including non-ASL accounts in good standing, even if you are enrolled in autopay.  Please, go check your bills now). This isn't a regulatory fee levied by a government institution - I was told in an email that this internal Sprint increase was to "help defray costs".  Let's do the math, shall we?

$0.40 x 12 months = $4.80/yr increase per customer.

$4.80 x 40 million customers (est.) = $192,000,000.00

So I'm supposed to believe that Sprint's regulatory costs have increased close to $200 million dollars over last year.  This "regulatory fee" is fraudulent wording to increase Sprint's profit margin.

Had I been enrolled in autopay, Sprint would have simply debited my account and I would have been none the wiser to these two breach of contracts until they already had my money.  Since Sprint doesn't honor contracts with it's customers I would have to be crazy to enroll in autopay - they could pop you with an increase at anytime, for any reason.

Sprint's customer service de facto answer to this is: "You can avoid the $4.99 fee by enrolling in autopay." Yeah right, I wouldn't do this when they can rewrite your contract at will.  As Darth Vader famously said: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Their other favorite answer is "We can review your account and have the ASL fee removed if you make 13 on-time payments in a row."  Fat chance there, I've been late several times within the past year.  I've had an awful payment history since I've been with Sprint, so this is really nothing new.

The $0.40 "regulatory fee" increase will result in an even more inflexible response: "This charge is now effective for all customers."

I would have agreed to a contract with Sprint that would penalize me $4.99 for making a late payment. The problem is, I didn't, and now my bill is about 8% higher than when I upgraded my plan and signed the 2yr contract in 2009. Sprint's answer to my concerns after more than 8 years as a customer is that I am free to transfer to another carrier. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points