This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2010 9:55 PM by lynn_1915 RSS

Is there a way to get a text log?

SKOSHI930 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am wondering if there is any way to access text logs for phones on account?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    CarrieSelph Newbie

I would like to know this as well...I can view a call log for all phones on my account but can't seem to find a text/messaging log.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    fasttom5116 Newbie

so would i

• 3. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    Levi4u Master

Hardcopy of SMS messages is not generally available.

If you have a court order for the messages you can have your lawyer contact Sprint's legal department.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    bronzf Newbie

Wait....

I would need a COURT ORDER to check my own text messages?? *** Sprint!!

I could understand other lines or someone elses lines....

But YOUR OWN LINE???

• 5. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    blackpnthr2002 Newbie

FIRST OF ALL, I STRONGLY THINK THAT THIS IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. I HEARD SPRINT SAID THAT IT WOULD BE AN "INVASION OF PRIVACY", WHAT?!?!?! SORRY, BUT THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST WEAKEST EXCUSES THEY CAME UP WITH; YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT PRIVACY?? TELL ME ONE THING SPRINT, IF YOU WERE SO CONCERNED ABOUT PRIVACY, YOU WOULD NOT HAVE OFFERED A CALL LOG, DON'T YOU THINK, OR WOULD YOU HAVE OFFERED THE SPRINT FAMILY LOCATOR,  WHICH TELLS YOU EXACTLY WHERE THE PERSON IS AND THE EXACT TIME. NOW, TRY AND RUN "PRIVACY" BY ME AGAIN. A TEXT LOG IS LESS SIGNIFICANT THAN SPRINT FAMILY LOCATOR. AT&T AND T-MOBILE OFFERS TEXT LOGS, SO IF IT WAS SUCH A BIG DEAL, THEN SHOULDN'T ALL THE MOBILE PHONE CARRIERS BAND IT?? BUT NO, ONLY SPRINT! YOU GUYS OFFERED IT BEFORE, THEN, ONE DAY DECIDED TO TAKE IT OUT (AND NOT BECAUSE OF PRIVACY). SO YES A TEXT LOG SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS. BECAUSE IF YOU GUYS ARE CONCERNED WITH PRIVACY LAWSUITS, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX WITH SPRINT FAMILY LOCATOR, IT'S NOT ONLY FOR KIDS, ITS FOR ALL THE PHONES IN YOUR ACCOUNT. SO MY STRONGEST OPINION HAS BEEN SAID. I VOTE BRING BACK THE TEXT LOGS! WOULD LIKE TO HERE YOUR DEBATE ON MY ANSWER SPRINT.

WHAT DO YOU SAY SPRINT SUPPORT??

• 6. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    Scotland4Me Newbie

Good luck getting a subpoena, too. A couple of months ago, I found out that a 12-yr-old boy was harrassing my daughter via text (his texts were sexual in nature, and my daughter's phone was set up to delete texts after 30 days). I called Sprint and they said that, without a subpoena, they couldn't release anything. So, I called the police who told me that they don't have time to process things like that or do the research necessary to get one, and that it was probably kid stuff and not serious. He agreed to investigate it, confiscated the boy's phone, looked at all the texts and pictures, put a "scare" into the boy and sent him on his way. (He also made a visit to the boy's parents.)

After his investigation, the officer called me back and said that, while what the boy did wasn't illegal, he felt the boy was potentially dangerous and my daughter should be kept away from him. It was still not enough to get a subpoena for the text messages, though.

Now, today, I want a text log (NOT the messages) and Sprint says that's not possible. I told them I probably would not renew my contract, that we were considering going with T-Mobile because we COULD get a text log with them. The customer service person said she was sorry, and could she possibly sell me an additional line for $19.95? To this I said, "No, because I am NOT renewing my contract. This would lock me in for 2 more years." Crazy, huh? Did she think I didn't know?

• 7. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    snuggler60 Newbie

This is totally bogus considering that Verizon offers it on their website for their users....hmmmm,  Are you telling me that they aren't worried about privacy issues...hah.  Sprint needs to let us see our text logs.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to get a text log?
    lynn_1915 Regular Visitor

Sprint will provide you a text message log if you send in a notarized request.  But why should I have to go through the hassle and additional expense of notary public to see the phone# and time stamped log I am charged/paid for.  Why would Sprint make it difficult for customers to validate their charges or a parent to monitor his/her child's usage?  That does not sound like a good business practice, nor a family-friendly business.    

The privacy policy is only Sprint's policy, not the wireless industry.  I saw a thread of this same issue dated back to 2008 and still here we are at the end of 2010.  Sprint's rep from the Executive Office called me back and still could not give me a logical explanation.  

Here are the links to file complaint with FCC and BBB.  Maybe if enough people file official complaints, there will be a change.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

With FCC vs Verizon case below, I am wondering if Sprint is covering for invalid text messaging fee. Maybe it'll take FCC to change Sprint's policy.

"Verizon Wireless, the  largest U.S. wireless company, is under investigation by the Federal  Communications Commission for charging 15 million customers “mystery” fees for  data use on their mobile phones...."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-10-04/verizon-investigated-by-the-fcc-for-mystery-charges.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...