This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2010 10:42 AM by PATRICK508 RSS

Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero

robdude1616 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I recently purchased the HTC Hero to be used as a work/professional type phone.

 

I'm trying to remove any of the games/silly/entertainment type applications.  But I can't seem to get Sprint TV, Sprint Nascar, Sprint NFL, etc.... off my phone.

 

How do I do this?

  • 1. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    You can only remove them by rooting the phone.

  • 2. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    HunterA3 Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    Those apps are marked as system apps by Sprint when they build the ROM. Like mentioned above, you have to root your phone in order to get access to the ability to remove them.  For non-system apps you can use a program like Quick Uninstaller to remove unwanted apps. Do a search on the Market to find this and other programs designed to do the same thing.

     

    Message was edited by: HunterA3

  • 3. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    robdude1616 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    I'm not sure how to do that.  I looked through the book that came with my phone but didn't find anything.

  • 4. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    robdude16 wrote:

    I'm not sure how to do that.  I looked through the book that came with my phone but didn't find anything.

    Rooting is not officially supported. It technically breaks the warranty.

     

    The rooting program is a system hack. Once rooted, you can do things like remove system apps, install alternative ROMs (such as the latest leaked Android 2.1 ROM), do full-system backups, use programs like WiFiTether that require root access, etc.

  • 5. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    robdude16 wrote:

     

    So....

     

    There is no way I can remove childish games from my 'professional' game?  Without voiding my warranty and forfeiting any future customer support?

     

    What the f***?

     

    I'm going to call Customer Support; but I think I'm sending this thing back.

     

    I'm not sure what "childish games" you're talking about, or what "professional game" you're talking about. Sprint TV, Sprint NFL, and Sprint Nascar are apps.

     

    Assuming you meant professional phone, the Hero is not and was not marketed as a "professional" phone. It's primarily a personal device that can be adapted for professional use. Just look at the Hero description at the top of this very forum - it emphasizes social networking and an "arsenal of fun."

     

    In any case, if you don't like Sprint TV or Sprint Nascar, the most obvious solution (to me, at least, but what do I know) is not to run them.

  • 6. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    scotty2s Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    Dude, just root your Hero and take out the apps. Upgrade to 2.1 and if you run into problems with the phone that need to be handled by Sprint, flash the stock ROM back to the phone.  Sprint won't ever know that you rooted.

  • 7. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    robdude1616 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    I'm sorry if my wording offended you.

     

    I realize that the phone can be used for entertainment/personal needs.  My intention is to use it in a professional environment; one in which things like 'Watching TV' or playing race car games or whatever it is that Sprint Nascar actually does, would be inappropriate.

     

    Not running those applications is a start, yes.  But they still remain on my phone and they still take up valuable space on my phone.  If you enjoy those applications - certainly - use them.  But I do not.

     

    Not providing a way to remove crappy adware is outrageous in my mind.  I've spoken with Sprint and am told to expect a call back on Thursday morning at which point in time I'll be returning my HTC Hero.

  • 8. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    robdude16 wrote:

     

    I'm sorry if my wording offended you.

     

    I realize that the phone can be used for entertainment/personal needs.  My intention is to use it in a professional environment; one in which things like 'Watching TV' or playing race car games or whatever it is that Sprint Nascar actually does, would be inappropriate.

     

    Not running those applications is a start, yes.  But they still remain on my phone and they still take up valuable space on my phone.  If you enjoy those applications - certainly - use them.  But I do not.

     

    Not providing a way to remove crappy adware is outrageous in my mind.  I've spoken with Sprint and am told to expect a call back on Thursday morning at which point in time I'll be returning my HTC Hero.

     

    Sprint Nascar is not a game. It's an app that gives you Nascar news, stats, and race results.

     

    If you think using Sprint Nascar would be inappropriate in your environment, the obvious solution would be.... not to use it. Doesn't seem that complicated.

     

    They are not, however, taking up space on your phone. All of the apps you mentioned are in the /system/app folder, which you do not have access to. The portion of the internal storage that you do have access to, and where your downloaded apps reside, is in /data, which is a completely separate filesystem.

     

    To put it another way, removing Sprint NFL, Sprint TV, and Sprint Nascar really gives you no additional space, as the space you're clearing is unavailable for your use.

     

    I wish you luck returning your Hero and getting a "professional" phone that does not have Sprint TV, Sprint NFL, or Sprint Nascar. I'm actually not sure there even are any.

  • 9. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    robdude16 wrote:

     

    You are an utter fool if you really believe that the applications Sprint puts on your phone are magical and don't take up space.

     

    Computers don't work that way.

     

    You're not understanding me.

     

    The full internal storage of the Hero looks like this:

     

    /dev: 97816K total, 0K used, 97816K available (block size 4096)
    /sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 4K used, 4092K available (block size 4096)
    /system: 174080K total, 139008K used, 35072K available (block size 4096)
    /data: 163328K total, 103064K used, 60264K available (block size 4096)
    /cache: 133120K total, 1244K used, 131876K available (block size 4096)
    /sdcard: 7678328K total, 2931908K used, 4746420K available (block size 4096)

     

    The /system and /data partitions are around 170 and 160 MB each.

     

    All of the Sprint apps are installed in /system/app.

     

    You have only read access to /system/app.

     

    If you root your phone, you can delete apps in /system/app, but you can't actually do anything with the space that you "free" up.

     

    All of the apps you download, and all of their associated data, is in the /data partition. Apps go into /data/app or /data/app-private.

     

    When you look at the "available space" in your Settings, you are seeing the free space on the /data partition. You could have 100 MB free on /system, but if you have 1 MB free on /data you're not going to be downloading any new apps.

     

    Does this make sense?

  • 10. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    robdude01 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

    It seems like an arbitrary distinction to me.

     

    The 'system' folder that contains the Sprint apps can be flagged as read-only and that space can be ignored by the system when reporting the available space.  But that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't need to be read-only and is only read-only to inconvenience customers.  It is to prevent us from removing Sprint specific applications that many of us might not want.

     

    Clearly, if Sprint is able to put applications into that partition/folder - there is no true technical restriction.  I understand that, as configured, the phone will not consider that usable space when you go to download new applications.  That doesn't mean the space can't be used; it is being used right now, by a bunch of Sprint App I don't want. 

     

    The bottom line is that it IS space that can hold useful data. 

     

    I don't mind preloaded **** on the phone; but I do mind that I can't remove it.  I'm sure plenty of people like it, but I can't fathom a single argument in favor of having so called 'system' applications that have nothing to do with the system and really just serve as forced adware for the customers.

     

    Thankfully, I have 30 days to return my phone so I will.  I understand that you can root the phone and get around these restrictions, but it voids the warranty and I'd rather not support a business that forces itself on consumers like this.  After I return my phone, I'll have another two months until the end of my contract.  

  • 11. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

    robdude01 wrote:

     

    It seems like an arbitrary distinction to me.

     

    The 'system' folder that contains the Sprint apps can be flagged as read-only and that space can be ignored by the system when reporting the available space.  But that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't need to be read-only and is only read-only to inconvenience customers.  It is to prevent us from removing Sprint specific applications that many of us might not want.

     

    Clearly, if Sprint is able to put applications into that partition/folder - there is no true technical restriction.  I understand that, as configured, the phone will not consider that usable space when you go to download new applications.  That doesn't mean the space can't be used; it is being used right now, by a bunch of Sprint App I don't want.

     

    The bottom line is that it IS space that can hold useful data.

     

    I don't mind preloaded **** on the phone; but I do mind that I can't remove it.  I'm sure plenty of people like it, but I can't fathom a single argument in favor of having so called 'system' applications that have nothing to do with the system and really just serve as forced adware for the customers.

     

    Thankfully, I have 30 days to return my phone so I will.  I understand that you can root the phone and get around these restrictions, but it voids the warranty and I'd rather not support a business that forces itself on consumers like this.  After I return my phone, I'll have another two months until the end of my contract. 

    It could, theoretically, hold useful data, but practically it never could. You can't simply plop arbitrary applications into it. They won't work.

     

    You keep calling these apps "adware." That's not at all an accurate term for these apps. You might call them bloatware or something like that, but they are not adware.

     

    I hope you have better luck with the next phone you get. I warn you, though, you may be going on a wild goose chase. As far as I know, no smartphone sold by any provider in the US allows you to remove preinstalled apps. Every single one of them is locked down so that the user does not have write or delete access to system folders, files, or filesystems.

     

    So, I suggest that you at least examine the other options before returning the Hero.

  • 12. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    scotty2s Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

    OK, go get an iphone then.... No restrictions there. LOL oh, and none at verizon, too. What phone/service would make you happy?

     

     

    Scott    

    Jailbroken Iphone and ipod touch

    Rooted HTC Hero with Android2.1/DC2.0.7.2ROM/Fresh 2.0d/

  • 13. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    Sturmie Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

    say i have a custom ROM, like Damage Control's, how would i then go about deleting those unwanted system apps?  i looked in the /system folder in Astro...do i just delete the unwanted files in there (like Sprint_Nscar)?  if so, how do i get that "free" space back as mentioned earlier.

     

    thanks...Sturmie

  • 14. Re: Trouble Removing Applications From HTC Hero
    TEDYDARWIN Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

    For what you want to do, you need to stop reading anything here.  Just go to XDA Developers forums.  Look for the CDMA Hero forum.  All of your questions will be answered there.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...