This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2010 10:12 AM by theytookmyoldusername RSS

Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?

kain81073 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I know this has probably been asked before, but I haven't found an answer to this.  I REALLY want an HTC Hero.  My current contract obligation is expired and I am eligible for a significant savings to upgrade my Katana II.  My plan has unlimited data service included in it, so data overages are not a problem.  However, when I go to upgrade my phone to the HTC Hero, I cannot without changing my plan to a "Family Data Plan" at the least which is about $50.00 more per month than I currently pay.

Here's the thing...I DON'T NEED THE NEW PLAN!!  It does NOTHING for me.  The plan I have right now is absolutely perfect for my needs and would be absolutely perfect for this phone's needs as well.  I do not like being forced into paying more for no reason at all.  Please, someone, give me some good news that I can use this phone with my current unlimited data plan!  PLEASE!!

Sincerely,

Frustrated and Confused

• 1. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    Levi4u Master

In order to activate the Hero it has to be on one of the newer "Everything Data" plans. It cannot be activated on a plan with a data add on. It does not need to be a Family plan, You could activate it on the Everything Data 450 plan.($69.99)

• 2. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

The short answer is no.

Android phones, WebOS phones, and Instinct phones cannot be activated without an Everything plan.

• 3. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    kain81073 Newbie

I see, now for the more difficult question.  Why?  Why do I have to get an everything data plan?  I know the cookie cutter, and incorrect, answer is that "an everything plan will allow you to fully experience all the features of a smartphone".  Guess what?  Unlimited data and 1000 text messages also allows me to experience all the features of a smartphone with NO worries of overages.  Smartphones don't send text messages secretly.  You know when you are sending it, and just like right now on my plan, you have to monitor your usage to not go over your limit.  A limit which, coincidentally, I NEVER EVER come close to.

So, can someone offer me an explanation as to why I need an everything plan instead of using my current unlimited data plan?  Please, restore my confidence in Sprint somehow!  I am THIS close to switching to AT&T and getting an Iphone on a two year contract.  It seems to me that Sprint wants me to pay more...bottom line.  Don't say "The smartphone's are only compatible with an Everything Data Plan" because anyone who knows two shakes about cell phone technology knows that the smartphone can be activated on any plan, it is just Sprint policy that makes it "incompatible".

Thanks,

More Frustrated and Confused

• 4. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    Levi4u Master

The older data add on's were designed when all Sprint had was 1xrtt equivalent to dial up, Now that they have 3g/4g high speed it is logical to charge more for the devices that are constantly connected to it. The newer smart phones can not be activated on any plan with a data add on, The system is set up not to allow it, There is no way around it. You realize AT&T also requires you to have a data plan to activate an iphone At a higher rate then what Sprint is asking.

• 5. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

You need an Everything Data plan at $69.99 because that is how Sprint wants to sell the Android phones.  Going to AT&T for an even more expensive plan because you don't like Sprint's policy? Think about that again.

I believe one of the reasons behind Sprint's policy is the impending inclusion of Google Maps with turn-by-turn in the upcoming Android OS update, and the resulting loss of Sprint Nav revenue.  Regardless, Sprint has the right to sell the phone with whatever (legal) restrictions they deem to be in their best interest.  You probably already know that the Sprint plans are the cheapest plans in the US on which you can activate an Android device.

If you want to save a little more, read and follow this:

http://mcguireslaw.com/2008/07/16/psst-have-you-heard-about-everything-plus/

• 6. Re: Can the HTC Hero be activated without changing my plan?
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

kain81073 wrote:

I see, now for the more difficult question.  Why?  Why do I have to get an everything data plan?  I know the cookie cutter, and incorrect, answer is that "an everything plan will allow you to fully experience all the features of a smartphone".  Guess what?  Unlimited data and 1000 text messages also allows me to experience all the features of a smartphone with NO worries of overages.  Smartphones don't send text messages secretly.  You know when you are sending it, and just like right now on my plan, you have to monitor your usage to not go over your limit.  A limit which, coincidentally, I NEVER EVER come close to.

So, can someone offer me an explanation as to why I need an everything plan instead of using my current unlimited data plan?  Please, restore my confidence in Sprint somehow!  I am THIS close to switching to AT&T and getting an Iphone on a two year contract.  It seems to me that Sprint wants me to pay more...bottom line.  Don't say "The smartphone's are only compatible with an Everything Data Plan" because anyone who knows two shakes about cell phone technology knows that the smartphone can be activated on any plan, it is just Sprint policy that makes it "incompatible".

Thanks,

More Frustrated and Confused

The reason is that those plans were introduced when "mobile web" meant a few super-low-bandwidth WAP pages per month.

Modern smartphones are always connected. At high speed. Full-bore web browsing, IM, social networking. These things are always connected and always using data. They eat hundreds of times more data than the old Vision phones that existed when those plans were introduced.

In other words, those super-cheap plans are money losers for Sprint when applied to a modern smartphone.

By the way, you can get a pair of lines with unlimited everything on Sprint for roughly the same price you will pay AT&T for equivalent service on one iPhone.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points