1 2 3 13 Previous Next 190 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 1:49 PM by ChristianR900 RSS

you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge

Penard Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

What does the last sentence mean in this response I received from Sprint?

" the $10.00 Premium Data fee is for the rich data experience
that  EVO provides. These data-rich features are available to EVO
customers  regardless if they are in a 3G or 4G network. Plus faster data
speeds if you  live in or travel to one of the available 4G markets.
However, the $10.00  Premium Data is an options feature. So, if you do
not want to get the rich  data experience that EVO provides, you can
avoid the $10.00 Premium Data  charge."

Sincerely,
Jovan K.
Sprint

• 1. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Expert

petnard69 wrote:

What does the last sentence mean in this response I received from Sprint?

" the $10.00 Premium Data fee is for the rich data experience
    that  EVO provides. These data-rich features are available to EVO
    customers  regardless if they are in a 3G or 4G network. Plus faster data
    speeds if you  live in or travel to one of the available 4G markets.
    However, the $10.00  Premium Data is an options feature. So, if you do
    not want to get the rich  data experience that EVO provides, you can
    avoid the $10.00 Premium Data  charge."

Sincerely,
    Jovan K.
    Sprint

I bet if you contact them again you will get a different answer from a different person.

• 2. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

HA!!

I was thinking the same thing.

It's funny how different people tell you differnt things.

That's pretty much with every company.

Too much free will and not enough policy following.

Where is Apple when you need them?

• 3. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Dgskydive Valued Member

What is the "rich data experience"? How is it differnet from the lets say the "normal data experience"? That makes no sense to me. Can a Sprint rep explain this? If there is no 4G where I live yet, how is my 3g data experience going to be different other then the phone running faster. How can Sprint charge me 10.00 a month for the phone having better hardware then other phones? That doesnt make sense.

• 4. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Expert

Dgskydive wrote:

What is the "rich data experience"?

Sprint gets rich off of your data experience.

• 6. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    mutiny32 Valued Member

It sounds to me like a very condescending way of saying  "If you don't want to pay the $10 fee, then you don't get to enjoy the phone. And by that, I mean you don't have to buy the phone. It's optional."

• 7. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Unnplugged Expert

"If you don't want to pay the $10 fee, then you don't get to enjoy the phone. And by that, I mean you don't have to buy the phone. It's optional."

You are exactly right. What the Sprint rep was saying, in almost a snarky way, was that if you don't want the Evo experience, you don't have to buy an Evo. That way, you save $10 a month.

• 8. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Regular Visitor

Do people even read what they write?  You can avoid the "Premium Data Charge" by NOT buying a phone?  I am very surprised that intelligent people write these things.  The "Premium Data Charge" can only be charged if you're getting the "Premium Data" Experience!!!  It has nothing to do with the phone!  I live in NYC and there is no 4G service thus how is my 3G experience currently going to be enhanced by the new but non existent 4g "Premium Data" Experience?  Let's do a little analogy to see how silly this logic is and how people keep repeating it without any thought or common sense.  I can go to a swap meet and buy an old cable box but it sure as heck not going to give me "Premium Cable Experiences"  I have to pay the cable company to turn that service on and make that cable box work!  If they don't turn it on, I don't have to pay irrespective of my cable box ownership.  Just my two cents.

• 9. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

The "Premium Data Charge" can only be charged if you're getting the  "Premium Data" Experience!!

Obviously, this is not true, because Sprint is charging you anyway.

EVO 4G = $10/month extra.

I'm surely getting mine!!

• 10. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    Jsmart2 Expert

I can tell you this, Sprint is going to get $10 off me but Im going to make sure I hack the **** out of that phone and get Free tethering $30 value....atleast this way im not getting ripped off for nothing.

See SPRINT this is what you have caused....Open OS= Neverendless possibilities...

Message was edited by: Jsmart2

• 11. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    drexeldude Valued Member

Essentially what it's saying in that last sentence is, if you don't want to pay the $10 for the 'Rich Data Experience' of the Evo, then find yourself a different phone.  The only thing I find amusing is the fact that what exactly is the Rich Data Experience?   It's not the screen, other phones have that ... ?    Essentially what separates this phone from the others in a Data scope is 4G... but if your in an area that doesn't have 4G (Phoenix, AZ Here)  what Rich Data experience am I getting?   Considering the 4G coverage area covers I would say less than 10% of all of Sprint's possible customers, why is everyone paying $10 for the 4G service?

I could understand if 4G was available in 60%+ of the Sprint Market... but it's not, no where even close... in fact, we are realistically 2 years away from that happening.... Why is everyone going to get charged for it now?  It's stupid decisions like this that make me want to pass up yet another nice phone, and just stay with my iPhone and AT&T.  The selling point for me was the EVO was a great phone, and Sprint was cheaper and had a quality network in Phoenix...  With this new $10/phone charge for something that isn't even available to me, I'm going to end up paying the same as I am on AT&T with my iPhone 3Gs...  At this point, I'm seriously considering just canceling my Pre-Order through Best Buy, and just remaining with AT&T.  Sad part is, I was going to break contract with AT&T just to switch too.

It's not about the money for me, it's pretty much the fact that why should I be paying $240+ a year extra for My wife and I to have Evo's and a 4G service that isn't even available to us?  Phoenix is the what, 5th Largest city in the country, and no mention of when 4G is even going to come.   Is it even worth it at this point to switch from an iPhone?   It's a great phone, and I have no issues with it, and I at least get what I pay for.  This is really disappointing that Sprint would do this.  They like to say the Phone is really only $199, but realistically... it's now... it's $450... Cause your FORCED to pay $10 extra a month to simply have the phone.  Pretty Silly.

• 12. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    KEVARYAN Newbie

Didn't you notice that the data that the EVO uses is made of 24k gold?  That's PREMIUM DATA, baby!  And a RICH data experience!

My Hero just gets regular old tinfoil data...

• 13. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    echele112 Regular Visitor
    I can go to a swap meet and buy an old cable box but it sure as heck not going to give me "Premium Cable Experiences"  I have to pay the cable company to turn that service on and make that cable box work!

Here's a more appropriate analogy:  If you live in a remote city in Alaska, you can buy a regular, basic phone from Sprint.  You can have it activated and attempt to use it.  Unfortunately you don't have 3G service in that area... or any cell service at all.  Sprint still charges you though.  If you travel to a city that does have 3G, you can use the service you're paying for. 

Sprint isn't chaining you to your home while you use their phone.  They aren't telling you that the ONLY phone you can buy requires the $10 add-on.  People make a big deal about this, but Sprint is at least up front in saying you'll have to pay it for their 4G phones, whether they know why or not, they're upfront about it.  If you don't like it or don't live in the 4G area, don't buy it.  Just like if you're an eskimo in the middle of nowhere, and don't want to pay for a phone that doesn't get service in your area... then don't do it.

• 14. Re: you can  avoid the $10.00 Premium Data charge
    franksellsmore Newbie

I really do hope someone figures out how to tether for free.....

1 2 3 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...