This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2010 10:00 AM by IzzyKS RSS

Switching phones, is there a charge for this?

lil_nana12 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Here is my question..I accidently broke my samsung sprint phone and my daughter gave me one of her old sprint phones, is there a charge to switch my phone number over to that one and how do I go about doing the switch over?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    Levi4u Master

You can sign onto your account online at sprint.com and by your phone will be a "I Want To" hover over it and there is a link to "Activate A New Phone" You can swap it from there, Or visit sprint.com/activate. There is no charge to swap out phones.

• 2. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    lil_nana12 Regular Visitor

So there is no activation fee? And will that turn off service to my broken phone?

Thanks again for your replies

• 3. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    MojoJojo18 Regular Visitor

No and yes.

• 4. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    Levi4u Master

Correct, There is no activation fee, And it will transfer service from your old phone to the new one.

• 5. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    Levi4u Master

ThatGirlAmy, The OP is not purchasing a NEW phone and activating it they are swaping for one they own so NO THERE IS NO ACTIVATION FEE!

As far as your issue IF you are a "Premier" customer ALL activation fees are waived, Call Sprint and they will credit it if you were charged.

There is a RANT section in the forum if you feel the need to vent, Please don't go off topic on an existing thread.

• 6. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    amyziliski Regular Visitor

Huh.... Well, the sales associate that just assisted me at A SPRINT STORE(only an hour ago) told me that there is an $18 activation fee if you are "activating" a phone. I took "swapping" to mean that, in this situation, at least ONE phone would require activation whether that be turning on a phone that is not being used OR changing the phone number of at least ONE phone. The last time I changed a phone number one one of my phones, I was charged for "activating" a new number.....

??

I could be wrong.

The sales associate that assisted me at the Sprint Store today could also be wrong. But, I'll post my thoughts on the in-store customer service in a different section now that the forum police have allerted me of my error. That posting will have to wait until I get back from the Sprint Store as the knowledgable and very helpful associate made a refund error of $22 in Sprint's favor and they, although a cell PHONE store, apparently are unreachable via phone.

Thank you for correcting me, kind Sir. Keep up the good work!!

Message was edited by: IzzyKS

• 7. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    amyziliski Regular Visitor

This is what a sprint service rep said today on the subject,

There is no activation fee for primary phone number. If it's an additional line on the account, there is an $18 activation fee charged for activating phones. If you add an additional line, it's $36 to activate phone.

Seems the more services you would like from sprint, the more you are required to pay just to have those services. I'm on my way to ATT to see how much I have to pay them to activate services with them because it's becoming too much money and way too much effort to continue being a sprint customer.

• 8. Re: Switching phones, is there a charge for this?
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

Again, you are quoting information regarding activating a new line of service and a new device. To swap an existing sprint device there is no fee. Thanks Levi for your help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points