This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2010 12:58 PM by DUSTYkiraly RSS

Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update

THE7THWEBWONDERLLC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

So as a whole I am a pretty loyal Sprint customer and have been for years. However, the whole process of the Android 2.1 update for the hero has been an "epic fail", I am very disappointed with Sprint over this, and very upset that they are not offering a rollback option to 1.5 so that I could just cook my own 2.1 rom for it that would be stable and work fine.

The first half of this issue is...

(Information garnered from an internal source on the Sprint Dev Team) The Sprint Dev Team certified this ROM as is ready to go to devices with no changes about two months ago, and for reasons that no one seems to know, Marketing held the rollout of the ROM until this week.

If they were still running bug tests or fixing things I would totally understand that, but they weren't. Despite the fact that I contacted Sprint on several occasions about this no one could find out anything as to why they were just sitting on the ROM instead of rolling it out, although no one denied that that was what was happening either.

Then when they finally release the ROM to the devices (OTW, so really more appropriately release the ROM to the website), it's is nearly unusable. This is so far below the CSAT Business standards that Sprint has (or maybe used to have) that I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. What I AM understanding is why Sprint has dropped to dead last on the JD Power rankings this year.

Here is a brief list of issues myself and others have had since the Android 2.1 HERO update:

1. When opening any number of different apps from the Android Market and/or apps that were included with the update, the phone will reboot itself automatically.

2. When receiving calls, there is a long lag between when the other party hears their phone ringing and when I actually receive the call on my Hero. Sometimes it’s only 3-4 rings before it registers on my phone. Other times, its 5-6 or sometimes I won't even receive the call at all and will eventually get a notice that I missed a call and that I have a voicemail.

3. When opening the Sprint Navigation app, initially (prior to opening it following a reboot/turn on) the app will get to the point where it needs to contact the server for sign-in (or something) and then the phone will automatically reboot itself. Following the reboot, the phone will turn on, but the network is unavailable. When opening the Sprint Nav app after automatic reboot (caused by the app in the first place) then the app runs to the point where it tries to sign in, but said that 'Sprint navigation is not available'. Also, the network does not work for any other programs on the device. The only way to correct this problem is to reboot the phone again manually. Then, if you try to open the Sprint Nav app again, the problem starts over from the beginning again, resulting in another automatic phone reboot.

4. Sense UI crashes and has to restart

5. Phone will randomly slow to a crawl for no apparent reason

6. Bluetooth functionality buggy or non-functional all together. In some cases Bluetooth will pair, but won’t connect the audio on a call.

7. When trying to perform phone operations quickly in succession the phone just freaks out and stops processing commands for about 30 seconds and then when it decides to come back processes all queued commands at once, making Swiss cheese out of whatever voice operation you were attempting to do.

While they did not manage to find any of this in the bug checks, what they were able to do "correctly" in this update was close the Root-ing exploit in the kernel so that anyone who has upgraded to this ROM, at least for now, is stuck with it and cannot roll back to a previous rom or custom cooked rom.

Sad, very very sad...

Message was edited by: The7thWebWonder

• 1. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

The7thWebWonder wrote:

The Sprint Dev Team certified this ROM as is ready to go to devices with no changes about two months ago, and for reasons that no one seems to know, Marketing held the rollout of the ROM until this week.

Where do people get this stuff?

• 2. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    Silver Expert

jonnythan518 wrote:

The7thWebWonder wrote:

The Sprint Dev Team certified this ROM as is ready to go to devices with no changes about two months ago, and for reasons that no one seems to know, Marketing held the rollout of the ROM until this week.

Where do people get this stuff?

yeah, we must be the only two that don't know someone inside at Sprint.  I haven't seen any of these issues as reported.  A little lag, but much better than v1.5.

• 3. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update

Well I can't speak for others, but I live in Oklahoma City, where there is a major Sprint call center, and over some 15 years of service with Sprint, have established a lot of relationships with people in various departments within the company.

• 4. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    Unnplugged Expert

My suggestion is that you take the phone into a service center and get it replaced. I'm having none of these issues.

• 5. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

The7thWebWonder, I am funneling these issues to our product team so they are aware of the customer experience after rollout. I've asked for a response and will post as soon as I hear back from the team. dbkerr has a good point. If you take your device to a repair center they will log the issues they are seeing with the device.

• 6. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

The7thWebWonder wrote:

Well I can't speak for others, but I live in Oklahoma City, where there is a major Sprint call center, and over some 15 years of service with Sprint, have established a lot of relationships with people in various departments within the company.

So you're telling us that your information comes directly from contacts working on the "Dev team" inside Sprint?

Fascinating!

• 7. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    SAMANTHANICOLE1 Newbie

After reading all these reviews about 2.1 I was so scared to upgrade. I was having issues with incoming text messages and after 1.5 hours on the phone with sprint customer service, the only possible solution left to try was to upgrade. I told the CS rep I didn't want to upgrade because of all the bad reviews but that's what I had to do to get my texts working again. I UPGRADED AND IT'S GREAT!!!! 2.1 is FABULOUS! I haven't had any additional force close issues, no lag. The overall experience in 2.1 is waaaay cooler. I would recommend you to upgrade and not be scared away. Make sure to read and follow the instructions though!

• 8. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    HELGESENJ0311 Regular Visitor

My experience with 2.1 has been the opposite.  My phone runs much better than before and I have very few issues.  There is still a ring lag(CDMA phones always have had a lag, but in this case it is an extreme exaggeration)  and I do find the occasional FC or bug in the ROM.  However it does seem to me that the people that don't have issues are bit more technically savvy, whilst those shouting from the roof tops that Sprint and HTC suck seem to be a bit less experienced.  Maybe I just have more patience with technology, maybe you were expecting the best of your flip phone and the best of your PDA...I don't know, but it always seems the same people are always complaining, few can ever quantify their problems(Customer:"It freezes and drops calls", Service Tech try to find the cause of the problem:"When does this happen?  What else is happening at the time of the error?",  Customer:"I DON"T KNOW, ALL THE TIME!!")  I imagine that you think that most technology "Hates you" and nothing ever works quite right.  Welcome to consumer electronics, companies attempting to compete, come up with new technology, AND keep you happy by giving it to you for next to nothing.  Ever wonder why most manufacturing is now done in 2nd and 3rd world countries?  Look in the mirror.

• 9. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    tucker0302 Newbie

Thats right, blame the user not the product...YOUR phone is perfect therefore the other 1000's of post about bugs are user related...they are not tch savvy therefore dont know how to use the phone...explain how this phone would work better being in the hands of a tech savvy person.  Do tech savvy people press the screen and make phone calls any different than the rest of the world? NO....

Why are you here, you report nothing...try to point out how perfect you are and how stupid the rest of the world is.

OH BTW ...The reason manufacturing is done in 2nd and 3rd world countries is not because of stupidity...because of the almighty dollar.

• 10. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    ROYEARLE2006 Newbie

I guess I have very mixed reactions about the update.  Today is day four for me.

On day one, the update went perfectly.  It could not have been gone any better.  I was disappointed that the voice dialer was still broken, but finally bought Voice Dialer HF from the market for $4.00.  After adding the text to voice library, that seemed to work adequately for my needs.

Day two I noticed that the battery seemed to be draining much faster than normal.  Nicely, 2.1 has added a feature that shows battery usage, and I found out that most of my battery usage was due to a GPS satrlliye setting being turned on, and the camera application running.  I tried turning both off, but they seems to still be consuming the majority of the battery.  I turned the phone off, and thren back on, and the issue seemed to go away.

Day three.  Pho  They are so ne is working very well.  Battery usage looks good.  I used ther camera several times, and the camera is reorting minimal usage.  GPS satellite setting is off, but Sprint location services are working so as I chang cities location updates are registered.  I also added the new application from Srius XM radio (subscription) and that went in well and works like a charm.

Bottomline, things are much better than 1.5 version of Android for me.  There are new bells and whistles in the operating system, and consequently I'm sure more learning on my part.  Sprint could probably do a better job on education about the Android phones.  Sprint, and the Android community, are so excited to point out that there are now over 50,000 applications available for the "phone", when in reality they should be spending a little more time educating the public on the fact that devices like the HTC Hero are "mobile computing devices", that can run "phone applications".  Keep up the discussion, we'll get through this.

• 11. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    superlinkx Expert

@Tucker0302: Those of us who are a little more familiar with technology and are more patient and willing to troubleshoot have fewer issues thanks to these attributes. You are right, from the software and hardware perspective, nothing changes. But from the knowledge of how to figure out which apps and settings may be causing problems and the willingness to look for solutions to problems rather than complaining about them does make a huge difference in the experience you have with any technology. Apple's products don't usually require this as much, but then again, they aren't nearly as advanced and don't do near the number or level of functions as things like the Hero. From my experience, if you are willing to get your hands dirty, you can have a better experience than you would with an iPhone. See, it doesn't have anything to do with how you "feel" about the phone, it has everything to do with willingness to learn ways to make your experience better. I rarely have issues, even when using experimental roms. My advice is don't argue with people and hate on manufacturers/carriers. Instead, find people  who are a little more tech savvy, tell them your issues and do what they tell you. Try to use your head, as not everyone knows what they are talking about, but if you get enough advice on a topic, you will learn how to solve that issue, and later, it will help you solve another. Technology isn't hard to learn, you just can't expect it to do everything for you. There are limitations and it does require smart user maintenance at times. I would be more than willing to help anyone who comes to me, since I've been with Android for most of its lifetime. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I know how to get around. Anyone can PM me for help.

• 12. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    warchyld1 Regular Visitor

Try draining the battery till it does not flash at all when u try and turn it on i mean no power at all then let it charge all the way this worked for me didnt fix any other issues but did do alot better for battery power

• 13. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update
    SALSA1201AB Valued Member

I have had a great experiance with the 2.1 update.. No issues at all.. but I did a hard reset before the update and if you read the info out there that takes care of all the issues for 2.1 if its done before the flash. I can go 2 days off my battery, mine is fast not even the ringing lag people talk about. I dont use task killers nor anything fancy just normal store apps. The best thing to try is hard reset the phone, then reflash the 2.1.

• 14. Re: Absolutely Livid with the 2.1 Update

helgesenj,

I have been an IT Professional for over 15 years. I deal with consumer and enterprise electronics on a daily basis, and I do NOT think that electronics "hate me" as you so interestingly put it. Before you go and start flaming on posts you should know what you're talking about. The fact of the matter is, the 2.1 upgrade on the Hero has been met by severely diverse experiences. Some have had no problems and seen improved performance, others have throughly documented cases of lost functionality after the upgrade. My post was neither vague nor contained any type of terminology that you created fro your example such as "I DON'T KNOW, ALL THE TIME!!". Please take your idle ranting that has nothing to do with the topic of this post elsewhere and keep the topic of this thread related to the actual topic of this thread.

Thank you.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...