This discussion is archived
1 2 3 7 Previous Next 103 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 3:15 PM by SarahKS RSS

Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1

Sprint Admin
Currently Being Moderated

For those of you still experiencing the Airplane Mode issue after upgrading to 2.1:

I was told today that the problem has top visibility and is being thoroughly investigated.

If you've had this problem, please help the investigation by responding to this post with the following:

- Device Hardware Version - find under Settings > About phone
- Software Version - find under Settings > About phone
- Exact steps to reproduce
- List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc)
- Specific location where this is occurring (if during commute - start and end point)
- Any additional pertinent information

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    rsnelson0 Valued Member

I'm so glad this is top priority.  I hope the battery consumption is next in line to be looked at.

RequestAnswer
    Device Hardware Version
    - find under Settings > About phone > Hardware version
    M900.8.0
    Software Version
    - find under Settings > About phone
    RequestVersion
    Firmware version2.1-update1
    Baseband versionS:M900.8.OS.DE03
    Kernel version2.6.29
    Build numberECLAIR.DE03
    Exact steps to reproduce

1) Enable WiFi and make sure WiFi is connected.
    2) Walk away from router until phone switches from WiFi to Sprint network.

3) Attempt to download anything. I just reproduced this by watching a YouTube video.
    The download progresses so far then stops.
    4) The up arrow will be on in the Status area.  The phone is basically disconnected at this
    point.  You can't send text messages, you cannot use the phone, you cannot download.
    PRL Version will be "Not available" when the phone is in this mode.

5) You will get a message "To place call, first turn off Airplane mode" when atttempting
    to make a call (after some time for the call to time out).  The Status area will display a
    "x" showing there is no signal.

6) You must power down the phone and power it up again to get it to work again.
    Nothing else will clear the condition including attempting to toggle Airplane mode.

NOTE: in some cases you may need to walk in out out of the WiFi transmission range
    while the phone is downloading to get the phone to demonstrate this issue but 95% of
    the time the above steps will cause the phone to be unworkable in under 5 minutes.

NOTE: the phone still gets in this mode if WiFi is not enabled but it is much less
    frequent (at least for me).

List of applications running
    RequestApplication
    foregroundHad issues with Youtube, Browser, Market, and
    Weather channel.  In other words, it does not appear
    to be an application issue.
    backgroundnone
    Specific location where this is occuringStationary location Windsor and Santa Rosa, California (except when moving the 100 feet
    to get out of the WiFi area).
    Any additional pertinent information

Started to happen after Sprint updated my phone to CL14.  The same behavior exists
    with DD03.

DE03 upgrade was downloaded from Samsung web site.

I have two moments - they are doing the same exact thing.

I tried multiple factory resets with CL14 and it never resolved the issue.  Also, at least
    in CL14, the above steps would cause the phone to fail immediately after factory reset.
    This means that there absolutely were no conflicts with extra software as no additional
    software was installed.

// wengla02 - data captured at http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGRwNE9kZnVFVDlhM1hTLUhmQ2ItcXc6MQ#gid=0

• 2. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    rsnelson0 Valued Member

2.1 didn't fix the problem but we have their attention now.  Please provide Sprint with the requested information so that they can reproduce the issue and get it resolved.

• 3. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    edit101 Newbie

This has happened to me twice since the upgrade and I have tried to report it to phone support but I'm not confident they "got it."

- Device Hardware Version - find  under Settings > About phone      M900.8.0
    - Software Version - find  under Settings > About phone                 Firmware 2.1-update 1   baseband  s:m900.8.05.de03  kernel 2.6.29
    - Exact steps to reproduce  not sure
    -  List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device  (email/music/etc)  Music, email, ATK, Power Manager, Voicemail

Misssed Reminder, Messaging, Gmail, Voice Control
    - Specific location where this is occurring (if  during commute - start and end point)  Commute from New Brunswick, NJ to NY Penn Station                                                            alongAmtrak's Northeast Corridor Train Line
    - Any additional pertinent  information

//wengla02 -- data captured at http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGRwNE9kZnVFVDlhM1hTLUhmQ2ItcXc6MQ#gid=0

• 4. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    AnyNewt Regular Visitor

- Device Hardware Version - find  under Settings > About phone

M900.8.0

- Software Version - find  under Settings > About phone

FW: 2.1-update1

BASEBAND: S:M900.8.OS.DE3

Kernel: 2.6.29

Build: ECLAIR.DE03

- Exact steps to reproduce

Using data applications on the phone (not wifi).  The primary ones are IP camera app, Google Maps, Gmail when mailing a picture, Sprint Navigation (very frustrating to have to reboot constantly when driving and trying to find a place), Marketplace.

It happens with EV and 1X indications.  usually the data arrows in the indicator will freeze and I know it is done for.  After a while the bars will show the X.  Sometimes "airplane mode" is activated spontaneously overnight or while in my pocket.

-  List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device  (email/music/etc)

It can happen within seconds of a reboot without specifically activating any other software but the data-intense application like the sprint navigation or streaming IP Camera program.

- Specific location where this is occurring (if  during commute - start and end point)

Everywhere, anywhere.  I live in Nashua NH and commute to work and spend a lot of time around the Boston area.  It doesn't matter, it will always fail.  It feels like it fails more often with weaker signals but it will also fail with all the bars in EV mode.

Sometimes it will fail in a few seconds, sometimes it will take a one or two minutes before it fails but it will always fail.  Note that when I have a wifi connection it works great, no lockups and it is fine.  Also note that it will fail if wifi is enabled or disabled.

- Any additional pertinent  information

Once failed it will no longer do any data or phone until it is power cycled.  It does not require a battery removal.

/l wengla02 -- logged to http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGRwNE9kZnVFVDlhM1hTLUhmQ2ItcXc6MQ#gid=0

• 5. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    PKPELICAN13 Newbie

I have the samsung moment, same model, build, and everything else as the previous posts.  It has been happening since I first got the phone in November.  I saw it was a common problem to this model phone and not Android, and seriously contemplated swapping it for the Hero.  I knew the new OS would be out soon so I waited.  As soon as 2.1 was available from Sprint, I installed it to test it out.  Everything seemed fine, so I started to download some aps, and the network froze.  EV arrow in stuck pointing up, and unable to send or receive calls.  I have now done a wipe and fresh start, and it continues to happen.  If I browse the internet, read Dilbert, or even look at the market.  When I had Pandora installed, it was the worst.  It most frequently happens when doing many individual requests.  I hope this is on topic enough.  I am going to try to trade it in for a new one and hope mine is just particularly bad. 

It does not matter which programs are running, nor where my location is.  It can happen anytime the phone is powered on and not on wi-fi.

• 6. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    rsnelson0 Valued Member

SarahKS...

Can you change the title of this thread to "Data Lockups or Airplane Mode issues on the Moment post 2.1" (or something similar?).  I've seen a few recent posts where the data lockups are mentioned and they don't know how to resolve it.

For me, the data lockup (indicated by the solid up arrow, unable to send/get text messages, loss of internet connectivity) is a precursor to airplane mode.  If I attempt to make a call with the phone in this mode I get the message that the phone is in airplane mode and that I should switch it off.  There is no visual indication the phone is in airplane mode on the status bar -- just the dialog that appears when you attempt to make a call.  After the call times out, the signal strength indicator shows an X.  Attempting to toggle airplane mode does not work.

• 7. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    rudeboy.robbo Regular Visitor

- Device Hardware Version -

M900.8.0

-  Software Version -

2.1-update 1
    -  Exact steps to reproduce

1. Enable and connect to a local WiFi network
    2. Use the device (any kind of data connection will do) while walking around, leaving and/or re-entering the range of the WiFi network
    3. Within seconds of leaving and/or re-entering the range of the WiFi network (watch the icons on the status bar) the data connection will freeze. You can switch between and launch various apps, but all subsequent network connections will fail.

- List of applications running in the  foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc)

(Don't really think this matters)

• foreground Android Market
    • background Advanced Task Killer (ignored apps/ Dolphin BrowserHD, K-9 Mail, Voice Control, Voice Search) assume the ignored apps are usually running in the background

• The device doesn't always fail into Airplane Mode (although it has done so  before, usually while in my pocket) But the data freeze-up is consistent if I'm using a WiFi connection at the limits of it's range.
    • No network freeze-ups seem to occur if I turn WiFi off and leave it off.
    • Haven't tried it with different WiFi security settings, My network is secured with WPA, I should try it on an open network and see what happens
    • I'm sure Sprint will wish to address this quickly,  as robust WiFi  connectivity helps reduce traffic on Sprint's network.
    • Restarting the device without removing the  battery restores connectivity.

Message was edited by: rudeboy.robbo

// data captured - wengla02

• 8. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    JohnnyRocketpants Newbie

Message was edited by: JohnnyRocketpants

• 9. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    rsnelson0 Valued Member

You may choose to not help at this point -- that is up to you.  I would recommend you try again because now we have Samsung's attention on this as well.  I personally would have preferred to get a patch to 1.6 rather than 2.1 so my phone didn't get in this mode.  But it is what it is.

• 10. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    Chuck.H Regular Visitor

Information regarding phone data lockup:

Requested InformationMy information
    Device Hardware VersionM900.8.0
    Software Version

Firmware Version: 2.1-update 1

Baseband Version: S:M900.8.0S.DE03

Kernel Version: 2.6.29

Build Number: ECLAIR.DE03

Steps to Recreate

1. WiFi - Off

2. Bluetooth - On

3. Run any application that downloads data (i.e. Pandora, LastFM, SprintNAV, Google Navigation, etc.)

Running Applications

Background:

LauncherPro

Settings

Foreground:

SystemPanel App / Task Manager

Nuance Voice Control

Services:

com.samsung.internal

Email

Moxier Mail

Photo & Video Places

The Weather Channel

Voicemail

Visible:

Voice Search

LocationI have an 80 mile drive to and from work. The route is between Kissimmee, FL and Daytona Beach, FL on I-4 and Florida's Turnpike. I have experienced data lockup a long this route at various times.
    Additional Information

1. The indication I get when the data locks up is a continuous out (up) arrow on the EV or 1X data communications icon.

2. I have not experienced the "airplane mode" when the data lockup occurs.

3. Since upgrading to v2.1, I have noticed that if I do not cycle the power on the phone after a few minutes the data communication icon disappears from the status bar. This does not occur every time there is a data lockup, but has happened on several occasions.

4. Cycling the phone off and back on returns the data communications back to normal. Additional data lockups may or may not occur. I have had to cycle the phone at least 1 and as many as 5 times during the same trip. I have never had a trip where I did not have to cycle the phone at least once.

Chuck

// data captured - wengla02

• 11. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    terpsy Regular Visitor

- Device Hardware Version - find under Settings > About phone

m900.8.0

-  Software Version - find under Settings > About phone

2.1-update 1

-  Exact steps to reproduce

Phone being turned on.

- List of applications running in the  foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc)

IQ Agent Service, SanService, AndroidSprintExtn, EasSyncManagerServ, AndroidKeyboard, GTalkSErvice, SmsService, Cronjob, Indexing Service

- Specific  location where this is occurring (if during commute - start and end  point)

Often occurs in Washington DC.

The phone no longer enters 'Airplane Mode' officially.  Now, following the 2.1 update, it randomly looses connection entirely, then maybe picks it up later.  Text messages take 2 days to arrive. GPS drops randomly  then maybe picks up.

This is occouring on two phones.  They are exactly the same except one does not run Google Gesture Search - CronJob and Indexing Service.

Really annoying and dangerous.  The GPS cut off while driving 60mph on the highway.  At least before I could see it was in airplane mode.

// data captured -- wengla02

Message was edited by: terpsy Two new things: There seem to be two different states that my 2 moments like to randomly enter: 1. Full airplane mode- airplane mode is 'on' no signal, no warning 2. All bars are full, EV arrow stuck in up- The phone is not officially in airplane mode, but I can not make or receive calls or access the internet.  Only fix is to restart. Power button and non-internet phone features and programs do function.

• 12. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    cptbrownkid Newbie

Hardware Version - M900.8.0

Software Version - Firmware: 2.1-update 1          Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03          Kernel: 2.6.29

Steps - With wifi off. Run Youtube while traveling, Ocassional Market downloads, web browsing (ie. start loading sprint.com on phone and try to play a youtube video)

Specific Locations - Utah: Logan, Sandy, Salt Lake, Ogden, Brigham City, Providence (you get my point)

Extra information:  It is made worse than the 2.1 update.  I use data constantly, and this happens 5 times on a normal day.  It has happened up to 10 times during the day and forces me to restart the phone.  I would like to blame it on the firmware that Samsung supplies since their CDMA coding hasn't ever been very good.  The lockup makes the evdo symbol disappear and airplane mode does not reset it.  It really sucks when using the Sprint Navigation on the freeway.

Message was edited by: brent.isaacs

//data captured

• 13. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    Willo13B Newbie

Hardware Version - M900.8.0

Software Version - Firmware:  2.1-update 1          Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03          Kernel: 2.6.29

Steps  - Turn on wifi. Browse, watch videos, download apps, etc. Turn off wifi. Browse, etc...lock up eminent at some point (either cdma lock up or airplane mode)

Specific Locations - St. Louis and vicinity.

Extra  information:  Phone feels like it doesn't know how to switch between wifi, 1x, evdo without screwing up. I've tried all in my power to fix the issue with no luck. As others have reported, it's worst in 2.1. This issue should have top priority as it renders the phone useless when it happens (no calls, no data, no everything). This is not a small bug, this is a serious issue. We all know how important one phone call can be.

//data captured - wengla02

• 14. Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1
    KEJEPAYNE0203 Regular Visitor

same hardware, software, baseband and kernel that everyone else has turn on wifi, do anything on the net and try to go back locks up.

extra info- if this was such a top priority why did it not get fixed with the 2.1 update and even worse when they were testing this had to come up and they still pushed the update out.  That is just bad service i will never get another samsung phone again and i am even thinking about not getting another sprint phone it is just sad that this issue was out shortly after the phone and they still have not fixed it. if it is taking this long for a high priority i would hate to see how long it is going to take for the minor bugs that need to be fixed.

1 2 3 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points