This discussion is archived
1 2 3 16 Previous Next 228 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2010 4:34 PM by TimPezz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage

IzzyKS Sprint Employee
Currently Being Moderated

Across multiple threads there appears to be some confusion regarding the data plan unlimited usage and whether or not there's a CAP.   So just to clarify, the network usage is unlimited and roaming is capped on the data/voice plans. Below are the pricing details for the EVO. Hope this helps!

$10 Premium Data add-on provides:

• Unlimited 3G and 4G data usage while on the Sprint network

• Off-network roaming is limited to 800 voice minutes/mo. or 300MB/mo. data usage limitation

$29.99 Sprint Mobile Hotspot provides:

• Data usage is unlimited while on the 3G or 4G Sprint network

• Off-network data roaming is limited to 300MB/mo.

• 1. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    thellusmc1 Newbie

wait a minute, so if I have an unlimited plan with a palm pre, and don't pay roaming charges for data/voice but then I buy an EVO, I will incur charges because I switched phones? I hope I'm mistaken, the EVO is cool but I'll return it in a heartbeat if that's the case

• 2. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    Levi4u Master

It is the same plan you basically have on your Pre, It has the same roaming limits, They won't charge if you use roaming, But if you are excessively roaming they may send you a letter asking you to not roam so much or they may terminate your contract(etf free)

• 3. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

Levu4u,

It's like people always wanna jump to the worst conclusion first!

Is it Friday, yet??

• 4. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    y2kotaa Regular Visitor

$10 Premium Data add-on provides:

• Unlimited  3G and 4G data usage while on the Sprint network

With the EVO, I don't live anywhere near 4G coverage. Will I still need to pay this? Have a EVO on order and waiting somewhat patiently.  Also have  Hero on order. Will the $10 Premium Data add-on be needed for the Hero?

• 5. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    fakeuser123456789 Newbie

With the Evo the $10 fee is manditory.

I asume the hero will not encounter this as I have a moment on my account as well and it is not charged this fee.

• 6. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    DOUGandBECCA Newbie

Please help me understand this.

If we're paying an extra $10.00 per phone per month for the HTC EVO 4G which provides for

• Off-network roaming  is limited to 800 voice minutes/mo. or 300MB/mo. data usage limitation

(1) Why then would we also have to pay an additional $29.99 per phone per month to use that same phone as a Mobile Hot Spot? We in theory would already have UNLIMITED data usage, so it shouldn't matter if we're using that usage with only our phone or sharing it with the fabled "up to 8 devices". Unlimited is unlimited, no?

(2) Also I have only seen this charge listed here in the forums. I've looked and looked and looked on the main website and cannot find it listed anywhere. Where can we find it listed in the plans and charges and such on the regular website when shopping and comparing?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    ryanhull76 Newbie

This is garbage. Hey, guess who won't be buying EVO's for their consulting business.???

Me. Way to go Sprint. You got a nice product, and managed to ***** the pooch within minutes.

Hope it's worth the $40 / month to lose more customers.

Fail.

• 8. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

Doug51Becca17 wrote:

Please help me understand this.

If we're paying an extra $10.00 per phone per month for the HTC EVO 4G which provides for

• Off-network roaming  is limited to 800 voice minutes/mo. or 300MB/mo. data usage limitation

(1) Why then would we also have to pay an additional $29.99 per phone per month to use that same phone as a Mobile Hot Spot? We in theory would already have UNLIMITED data usage, so it shouldn't matter if we're using that usage with only our phone or sharing it with the fabled "up to 8 devices". Unlimited is unlimited, no?

(2) Also I have only seen this charge listed here in the forums. I've looked and looked and looked on the main website and cannot find it listed anywhere. Where can we find it listed in the plans and charges and such on the regular website when shopping and comparing?

Thanks!

Sort of like how, if you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, you can't bring eight friends for free. Why not?  It is unlimited food, right?   I apologize for the following stereotyping, but if you are a ballet dancer, and eat six bites, you still can't bring your friends for free, despite the fact that a professional wrestler who eats six plates full gets to pay the same price.   "Unlimited" is priced based on the average usage, or the average amount eaten, so if you change how many can consume, you have to change the price.

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

• 9. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    Sprint Admin

Hi wasbakntyme - that is an awesome analogy and the best explanation I've seen to date.

Thank you!

• 10. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

That is the greatest analogy I've heard yet!!!

Just try to argue with that one!!!

• 11. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    DOUGandBECCA Newbie

Heheh good point. But whereas the "all you can eat" says exactly that -- all YOU can eat --it's already very specific to the YOU and is also very obviously not "all You AND Your Friends can eat" and this is not presented (and presentation here is everything) as "unlimited data for one device" and even if it were, they don't really mean "unlimited".

And, believe it or not, I'm not complaing about the extra fee  for the HTC, or even the extra fee for the Hot Spot. Truly. (Given our  current plan and the changes that we'd make to it once we can get the  EVOs, we'll only be spending a mere $2.00 more per month total to have  the two Evos and to be able to use both of 'em as hot spots vs. our  current two Pres + one USB 3g connection + one additional line we should  have dropped 8 months ago. )

I just object to frustration involved in trying to  uncover what the actual limitations are on these beasts when they're all  billed as "unlimited". {sigh} I really just want forthright statements. With this $amount you get up  to x GB/mo for x devices. With that $amount you get up to xx GB/mo for y devices. None of  this "unlimited" bs. We all KNOW nothing is really unlimited, ever, anywhere. I mean, really . And just think how many forums posts and rants and customer raves would be saved if only they all stated very clearly what the limits are vs. trying to use sleight of hand to cloud the issue?

With the "unlimited data" on our current plan (Palm Pres, Everyting Family) there's a limit on that "unlimited" of 5GB/mo per line. I'm sure theres a limit on the "unlimited" for the extra $10/mo we'll pay for the HTC EVO 4G, but I don't see that published anywhere. I'm sure that with the extra $ for the "unlimited" on the Hot Spot, there's a limit there too, but I don't see that published anywhere either. So if we keep our plan and get the Evos, and add on the hot spots, we would have "3x unlimited" but really, there's a limit. But what is it?

Maybe I just need to get out my magnifying glass to see those limits in the fine print or find the easter egg on the site that reveals all, but so far I've seen no clue as to what those limitations might be. Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Oh and if anyone has an answer to #2 that would be great too ...

(2) Also I have only seen this charge [the $29.99 for Hot Spot usage] listed here in the forums. I've looked and looked and looked on the main website and cannot find it listed anywhere. Where can we find it listed in the plans and charges and such on the regular website when shopping and comparing?

Message was edited by: Doug51Becca17

• 12. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

I believe if you were to buy the phone online, you would see the $29.99 add-on before the check-out process.

You'll see it with the accessories, text packages, etc......

I've yet to any wireless company post their add-ons on the main phone page. (I could be wrong)

I attempted the purchase process, on Radio Shack's website, and I saw the $29.99.

Also, Dan Hesse stated there would be a $29.99 charge for the hotspot on May 12th.

It's cheaper than having a mifi and a phone.

If you want to be able to connect multiple devices to Sprint's network, you need multiple phones or a mifi.

So this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I wouldn't think.

All the people who have Mifis and phones would drop the mifi and get the EVO, if their was no charge for the hotspot.

This goes for any wireless phone company, except for Verizon's WebOS devices

I see those sneaky people sharing food at Golden Corral  sometimes.........

Sprint's just making sure you don't share your  plate of food (data) unless you pay.

Message was edited by: s.c.b.1898

• 13. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    ARSIMPSON65 Newbie

actually thats not such a great example. this is not the equivalent of bringing 8 friends. the hotspot doesnt allow for others to make calls, its more like letting 8 friends watch you eat while talking to you. they cant make calls. if i have a modem in my home i still only have one line coming in and every pc i get on there slows down the next. and if the phone (hotspot) is turned off they are all off. this extra fee just doesnt make sense. either one or the other should be necessary not both. i dont mind the $30 extra for a great feature like the hotspot. but doesnt that automatically put me on the 3G/4G network? it does with the air card!!!

Message was edited by: arsimpson65

• 14. Re: HTC EVO Unlimited Network Usage
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

All your friends can make video and voip calls over the data connection, so it is a good example.

I didn't say they would be great calls, but they can do it.

With the EVO, you can turn the 4G radio on and off.

If you're not in a 4G area, there's no need to turn it on.

So, if you get on the hotspot with 4G turned off, it puts you on the 3G network.

If you get on the hotspot with 4G turned on, it will look for both and connect you to the one that is avaialable.

I must add that surfing the net on the 3G hotspot is quite zippy.

Message was edited by: s.c.b.1898

1 2 3 16 Previous Next