This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2008 1:21 AM by miketech_79 RSS

Airave Technical Support

Sprint Employee
Currently Being Moderated

• 1. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Bronze Expert

Jordan,

Welcome to Buzz! I'm sure you'll get plenty of questions!

• 2. Re: Airave Technical Support
    wingland Sprint Admin

Hi, Jordan!  Thanks for joining!

Airrave should roll out early in 2008 - the product is ready, the network is ready, but we're holding on the billing system changes.  Soon as that's ready, it will roll out nationwide!

Will

• 3. Re: Airave Technical Support
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

What are the prices? I had seen someplace you would have to pay like $15/month I believe for unlimited airwave minutes. I have posted this before and I will write it again:

If this device is $15/month not everyone will go for it. Many people already have enough minutes for normal usage. I know I would love to get it, but will not if the monthly charge is $15 for unlimited. I would buy the device and only if this was an option, I would have the usage on the airwave come off my monthly minutes and/or current plan, with no extra charge. In other words just my personal cell tower. The way I figure it I should not have to pay extra to "fix" Sprint PCS's coverage issues. Please give people an option as a customer service deal.

I will use Rochester, NY as an example (I am moving to Boston, MA soon). This area has very poor Sprint/Nextel coverage in comparison to Verizon. Many people I know have left your company for the likes of other carriers. I have been told by people in this forum that Rochester, NY might not be a profitable area. Hum, a nice woman from Sprint has emailed me and a I spoke with someone in the coverage department this week. I told her straight up about this lack of coverage as a prime issue for my friends and family leaving Sprint for Verizon. I added that maybe Rochester, NY would have been profitable had Sprint invest in a working network to compete with Verizon. I told her it is like a catch 22, you want customers but yet don't provide adequate coverage. So the lack of coverage means lower customer numbers and less profit for a given market. I can drive mile after mile in this area and not loose Verizon digital roaming indoor coverage, even in the country side. Works well in the country and the city, no brainer why people pick Verizon around here.

• 4. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Sprint Employee

• 5. Re: Airave Technical Support

Awesome new Jordan, thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing about the new coverage only pricing. If it is no cost to me per month, then great I am all for it. Otherwise forget it and I will let Sprint gladly pay my roaming bill.

• 6. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Sprint Employee

Will,

Most things are ready but the billing system is not the only thing we are still working on.. The network for the entire country will not be ready until early 2008. Some E911 , provisioning, translations, and other network elements are still being worked on. I hope we end up launching ahead of schedule but only time will truly tell!

• 7. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Bronze Expert

if there is a fee for the coverage only plan, that is seriously boneheaded. Just sell the device for whatever it costs (no subsidy) and let people use it to get decent coverage in their homes.

• 8. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Sprint Employee

Many customers have commented about that, the pricing wont be announced until its closer to launch so perhaps the comments from our customers will help determine that. Also the MSRP on the Airave is 349.99. Personally I would rather pay a small monthly fee and not the 349.99.

• 9. Re: Airave Technical Support

I remember reading that the $15/month for unlimited usage plan (only plan that I read about on Sprint's site). So lets take $350/$15 = 23 to 24 months. So you want me to pay $50 (what I read only for the customer cost) for the device and pay $15/month also. So that is now equivalent to $410 over a contract term of 2 years.

So it seems Sprint is getting this money either way you look at it and even more! As when the 2 year contract is up the customer will still be paying monthly to supposedly subsidize something that they have already paid in full for.

• 10. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Sprint Employee

Don't forget that you are getting unlimited calls for that price. So a fair comparison would be Vonage for 25.00, month.

So add that up its much cheaper.

• 11. Re: Airave Technical Support

Unlimited Skype Pro calls (in/out) for one month is $5.00 ($3.00/month + $24/year SkypeIn)

Mind you it does not have 911 service, but hey it is cheaper than Sprint's ($15/month) and Vonage ($25/month) offerings per month.

Message Edited by miketech_79 on 12-30-2007 01:01 PM

• 12. Re: Airave Technical Support

I have had the airave for about 3 weeks. My wife's treo 750p and my treo 700p do not like the airave signal. They lock up about half the time and we can't receive calls or call out. We must reset our phones to connect. Half the time it works great. The problem is we do not know that we can't receive call until it is hours later. Have missed some important calls. Any one else have that problem.

• 13. Re: Airave Technical Support
    Sprint Employee

bcates,

This is a known issue with some PDA devices , a patch will be coming out soon to correct this issue in the mean time hang tight. The patch will be automatically downloaded by your AIRAVE device as soon as its available on the servers, no need to do anything.  I will post a reply when the patch has been pushed out.

• 14. Re: Airave Technical Support
    digiblur_ Expert

jricha47 wrote:
    Don't forget that you are getting unlimited calls for that price. So a fair comparison would be Vonage for 25.00, month.
    So add that up its much cheaper.

VoicePulse's $15 a month plan will fit most peoples needs as it gives them unlimited calling to all of the adjacent area codes, depending on your area. In my opinion the $15 a month is way too much for the unlimited calling. I'll be keeping my Voicepulse line as it offers a line at the house for others to use instead of them using my cell phone. I'd love to use the Airave as I currently have a repeater with a high gain flat panel antenna about 20 foot up in the air. I can get decent signal in the house but I'm thinking the Verizon 1900mhz site about a quarter of a mile away is killing my repeater. As it will just drop out sometimes. I don't use the repeater much since I got my plan that doesn't charge for roaming. I'd pay up front for the device like $50 and just use it as a cell tower for myself the various other Sprint folks that visit. Or pay around $5 a month. Other than that I'll just continue to force my phone to roaming when I get home. Verizon and Alltel are on a tower just down the street so signal with them isn't an issue. The unfortunate thing is I sometimes forget to take the phone off of roaming when I leave. No biggie for me as it doesn't cost money for me...just sprint. You'd think they'd want to get these boxes out to people to build out the network but then I can understand why you don't. Some people will be flooding their internet connection with bit torrent and killing the upload speed, thus causing the cell phone calls to break up. I've got some advanced QOS settings on my router firmware to cover that issue...VoIP is the #1 priority of data and nothing else on the network will steal from the VoIP's bandwidth. Maybe one day I'll get to add an Airave to the QOS rules here.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...