This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2010 7:41 AM by emeralds1 RSS

PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?

BenZZzz Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been reading about SERO/legacy plan phone restrictions coming to an end October 1st with an optional $10/month data add-on. These rumors have been on many websites. I am currently out of contract and plan on migrating my 2 SERO F&F plans over to Verizon to get a Droid and a pre for my wife. I have been happy with Sprint but honestly with my wifes new work offering a discount with Verizon making them only a few dollars more than Sprint's new SERO $59.99 x 2 lines. If these rumors where true I would stay. Does anyone in the "know" have any input on this? Both my lines are up for full upgrade. I plan on leaving Sprint in August after we finish our move. I am sure there are many legacy subscribers who feel abandoned by Sprint's new "take it or leave us" approach with the new plan/phone restriction ordeal. Especially those with older family plans, my parents just left for Verizon over this very issue.. My father wanted a newer phone and there was no way for him to get a new phone without an entire plan change, adding a huge monthly expense. I am sure many here can relate. Thanks.

• 1. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    uraijit1 Newbie

I was told by a sprint rep on the phone today that the restrictions would be removed from SERO with some sort of data upgrade as well. She said it was "confirmed" but didn't really have any details...

• 2. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    digitalservice Newbie

I agree, I have a 5 line family plan and a SERO 500 plan, 4 of my six lines are out of contract. I have been a Sprint user for 7 years, I am waiting it out till October. If there are not changes I will be switching to ATT. I think that Sprint has really missed the boat with the phone restrictions.

Sprint has nothing to lose by lifting restrictions off of SERO and older  plans using the newer phones. If nothing, it will lift the spirits of  its existing customer base. Currently, I feel like I'm being squeezed out of a good user experience  since WM6.x sucks majorly. If I needed to upgrade, would I go with a  plan which will more than double my monthly cost just for an EVO? I'd  have to debate whether I want to stick with Sprint or if  Verizon/T-mobile/AT&T could offer me just as good experience for the  same price. Sprint always beat out the competition before but now they  really don't have the same appeal. It's sad.

• 3. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    HUDSON0920 Newbie

Well I went to a local sprint store today, so excited to upgrade my Blackberry Curve to the HTC EVO.  I called ahead, had the last EVO set aside for me and went in ready to use my $150 upgrade for my line.  I have a fair and flexible plan with 3 lines on it (at least 6 yrs old), with the data package add on for $30 only for my line because I am the only one of the 3 lines that needs any type of data usage in my plan.  To my dismay, I was told I would have to upgrade my plan to their data share plan for the first 2 lines, then add on the third line for $20 per month.  WHY? I don't NEED data on my other lines but you are MAKING me pay for it for it so I can have an EVO? The poor sales guy, I let him have it.  This is ridiculous sprint!  It would have upped my plan by $70 per month AND required me to take 1200 minutes more than I would ever use.  I too am interested to see if anyone has the inside "know" about this rumor.

• 4. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    GodschildNicole Silver Expert

Legacy plans ae slowly phasing out because it seems that everybody wants the latest toy...er.... phone. So in order to get these devices they would need a required plan because of the data it uses and software. Legacy plans don't give that much room. I know its a pain when one line needs data and the others don't so there should be some choices there. People  will pay more to use these phones even a more expensive plans. Many people think that they should get any phone they want without at least upgrading to a proper plan that would support the phone. If you dont want to change the plan then find a comparable phone. All carrier require certain plans for their smartphones even the iPhone4.

• 5. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    BenZZzz Regular Visitor

@9taalibah Ok. Your answer had nothing to do with the question, are you a Sprint employee?  Anyway, if I wanted opinions or speculation I would have asked for it. With your logic I bet you do work for Sprint. So if a family wants to add a newer phone to a plan, just 1, the entire plan needs to changed so that ALL lines would have data?  Sprint is the ONLY carrier that has this in effect. Anyway I spoke with Sprint today..They did CONFIRM that they will be letting newer phones on SERO plans with a $10 buy up. I should have asked about all legacy plans. I was told it would be in October. Also to your point "it seems that everybody wants the latest toy...er.... phone. So in order to get these devices they would need a required plan because of the data it uses and software". I changed over to SERO in 08. I have 2 SERO 500 plans with PAM addons. On my line I have a TP2 that I tether to my laptop; this is my sole source of internet use at home.  How can you tell me that in 08 Sprint didn't know I would be using a lot of data. With Sprints new prepaid offering through virgin, unlimited data $25/month. I consume 4-5GB a month on my line alone, sure my wife is the same or more... Now if both me and my wife had newer android phones there would be LESS data use from us..(side note, if Sprint continues to restrict legacy plan I am sure many will use less data... they will have left Sprint). The MORE I can do via my phone the less I have to use my laptop. I am sure Sprint would rather have me watch a youtube video on my phone rather than the laptop (where I would go for the 1080p). Plus Sprint needs us right now, I would pay Sprint $40/month for an android phone or Verizon/ATT/TMobile $60... If you were Sprint which would you chose. I can see this ESPECIALLY with family plans, and who wants children to have unmonitored use of the net... or block it knowing they are paying for it.. Your comments here are worthless 9taalibah. Sprint is already doing the phone data buyup for Blackberrys, both my brother and boss have the bold on a sero, one the $40 SERO BKB plan and the Other the $10 BIS buy up, seems it shouldn't be such a big deal to have this $10 fee be used on any new(er) phone. Sprint should realize that the longer these legacy plans stay out of contract the higher the odds of them leaving.  Sprint should be locking these people in (myself included) for another 2years.

• 6. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    s1d1vas Regular Visitor

I was told by a sprint corporate store rep that I should re-sign my current fair and flexible family plan keeping it and that I could change handsets to any fo the newer handsets for a $10 fee per line which works out better for me than paying a huyge increase with teh everything data family plans which are NOT made for famileis. He said any 3g android or web OS would be $10 mroe and any 4g Android or Win7 would be $20 more. That makes perfect sense for me since we don't all use smartphones on all lines on our plan.

I called customer service and they said no, the store was wrong. I called back the store and they said CS at sprint was wrong and the policy would be changed Octobver 1. WTHeck?!

• 7. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    BenZZzz Regular Visitor

Looks like Sprint is turning their back on legacy customers.. Unless you are SERO.. This is from Russ McGuire, a high up at Sprint.

Russ Says:

I’ve heard that existing SERO customers will be able to upgrade to a premium plan that will allow upgrading to iconic devices. I haven’t heard the same for F&F, so doubt that one’s true. More info should be coming at sprint.com/everythingplus soon.

Note - this will only be for existing SERO customers.

Russ

Jeff Says:

Why would this new premium plan be available only to SERO? There are several millions more Sprint customers on legacy plans when compared to SERO. I have a legacy plan for myself (1 line) and my parents have a separate family legacy plan with my brother on it (3 lines). They would like to upgrade to an Android phone on 1 out of 3 of their lines but the cost of migrating everyone over to a Everything Data Family plan is >$70/month increase. Thats way too much to upgrade just one line and separating out that one line onto its own Everything Data plan is almost just as expensive. There really needs to be more REASONABLE options for all grandfathered plan holders, not just SERO. I know that you do not set the rules for pricing policies but I feel that it is important for Sprint to hear my voice regarding this manner.

Russ Says:

Jeff,

Thanks for your comment and your long time loyalty to Sprint.

I understand your frustration. I have family members in a similar situation. But the reality is:
    a) Sprint offers the best value with our current plans for those that want to do more than just talk.
    b) In the past, before smartphones became such data hogs (driving high network costs for Sprint), Sprint offered even more generous plans.
    c) We’ve been gracious to not force those customers (including you and my family members) onto more expensive plans, but have allowed them to keep their existing plans.
    d) However, we aren’t going to make our problem worse by putting into their hands devices that are likely to drive significantly higher data onto the network.

Your voice has been heard.

Source http://mcguireslaw.com/2009/07/24/psst-the-palm-pre-is-now-available-through-everything-plus/

• 8. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    Gold Expert

Now if only they would do the same "spirit lifting" for us post-paid Nextel iDEN users.  Even though Sprint posted good numbers on the CDMA side this latest quarter, they still lost a ton of iDEN subscribers...so it's really a glass half-empty/half-full scenario.  Hopefully Sprint management sees that iDEN customers are as valuable as their CDMA customer base too.

• 9. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    Gold Expert

BenZZzz wrote:

Looks like Sprint is turning their back on legacy customers.. Unless you are SERO.. This is from Russ McGuire, a high up at Sprint.

Russ Says:

Jeff,

Thanks for your comment and your long time loyalty to Sprint.

I understand your frustration. I have family members in a similar situation. But the reality is:
    a) Sprint offers the best value with our current plans for those that want to do more than just talk.
    b) In the past, before smartphones became such data hogs (driving high network costs for Sprint), Sprint offered even more generous plans.
    c) We’ve been gracious to not force those customers (including you and my family members) onto more expensive plans, but have allowed them to keep their existing plans.
    d) However, we aren’t going to make our problem worse by putting into their hands devices that are likely to drive significantly higher data onto the network.

Your voice has been heard.

Source http://mcguireslaw.com/2009/07/24/psst-the-palm-pre-is-now-available-through-everything-plus/

BenZZzz:

I think the best part of the whole exchage was Russ' reasoning (or lack there of).  Plus, he's not 100% correct on the plans being the best.  T-Mobile offers unlimited talk, messaging, and data for $89.99/month; Sprint is $99.99/month (Evo is $109.99/month).  So he's wrong there.

As for smartphones gobbling up big data, that's ONLY true if one wants to remain connected 24/7 (like one would be with a BB).  However, you can easily turn that connectivity on Android phones off (or at least drastically limit it).

As for Sprint being gracious, I think that's his way of trying to paint a prettier picture (i.e., lipstick on a pig perhaps?).  I mean, name for me one telecom company that forces you to upgrade your rate plan if you make no changes?  The answer is none.  They may offer suggestions to save you money, or they may insist on you adopting a "newer" plan if you want the latest phone, but if you use the same phone, then who really cares?  So, Sprint allowing users to keep their plans indefinitely is more of an industry norm rather than the company being "nice."

And lastly, Sprint's stance on making the problem worse is putting the cart before the horse.  Instead, what he really means is that Sprint's data network (even though it's CDMA EVDO) is (and has always been) SEVERELY underfunded.  Cable companies have no problems offering customers the latest speeds since they constantly drive to improve the movement of that data.  And really, what is the question here?  Is it Sprint wants to be able to "claim" that they offer high speed data, but only so long as the users don't bother actually accessing the network?  If data traffic was/is so problematic, then why not simply throttle down the speeds of those users who use the system the most?  Why limit them to only a select number of phones?  While I respect Russ totally, I simply think he's on the wrong side of this issue (perhaps because he's being forced to tow the company line?).

In the end, Sprint really needs to decide WHAT it wants to be...post-paid or pre-paid...and act accordingly.  Right now, the MAJOR traffic is being caused by pre-paid users on iDEN who pay far less than their post-paid brethren.  I'm beginning to believe that the same is true (or at least beginning to be true) on the CDMA side...with the Evo MAYBE being the lone exception.  So...what is this company really trying to do?  It isn't offering the post-paid users (including SERO users) any significant additional features that their pre-paid users cannot acquire.  I mean, really...even Boost Unlimited users can grab any CDMA phone, unlock it/root it, have it activated onto the pre-paid side, and then allow the phone to work as a WiFi hotspot...all for $50/month.  The prime example would be the Palm Pre.  So...how does what Russ said, or what Sprint is doing, going to actually benefit any of the current post-paid subscribers?

Until that last quesiton is answered, this company is simply going to flounder until it is forced to declare bankruptcy...and that may not be too far off into the future.

• 10. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    s1d1vas Regular Visitor

Russ McGuire seems at complete variance with what I was told concerning renewing my contract. I will be very very disappointed and will quit sprint, a company I have heartily and repeatedly recommended to my family and colleagues for years, if they pull one on me. I am a customer with 36 line years paying an averag of $150/month and never late with my payment as well..

Moreover Mr McGuire's reasoning on why a family plan with on the phone being a 4g and paying the $20 premium noted would somehow be a data hog more than a Sero paying the same Premium is illogical and to be more precise, untrue.

I have hear all kinds of scorn heaped on SERO custoemrs as parasites by Sprint people. I don't have sero but a higher average per line cost than any sero, and if I get excluded while sero is included for the new phones -- it will be quite a shock and more than unfair.

• 11. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    s1d1vas Regular Visitor

Reading the full McGuire exchange on his blog I am now angry.

Either: a) he is wrong about what will happen or b) he takes the readers for fools.

In other words people on Friends and Family, Free and Clear and Fair and Flexible -- typically people with HUGE loyalty and al paying more than SERO per line and almost all multiple line accounts which have much higher value and profit for Sprint, are going to be $crewed in favor of SERO customers?

If that happens WORD will GET out that Sprint is THE wireless company MOST unfriendly to families and more friendly to people its spokesmen have called dead weight in the press than actual loyal long-term profit-bringing customers?

Message was edited by: ss12

• 12. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    Gold Expert

I feel the same way.  I was originally going to jump from my i90c to a Motorola ic902 back when it was first introduced.  I would have had it not been for Sprint's policy that my upgrading to a "high end hybrid" was going to mean that I would use far more data than I had in the past.  WHAT?!?  How would the ic902 cause me to use MORE data?  I only use the net to check stock quotes, email, etc.  Typical stuff.  It's not like I would have used it to watch TV or anything else.

Yet, Sprint management insisted that I "upgrade" my rate plan to an Everything Data plan because the data that I was accustomed to via iDEN would now be insufficient in terms of paying for the data service.  Ironically, if...at the time of the merger...if I had switched to a Sprint CDMA-only phone first (e.g., Samsung BLADE), I would have been able to keep my rate plan the same...and then I could have migrated to a hybrid like the ic902 without having to change anything.

So I totally feel your pain if Sprint does make it impossible for any grandfathered plans other than SERO to be able to purchase AND activate any phone on their current rate plan.  It simply makes no sense.  After all, even to this day, Sprint execs and reps are claiming that 4G connectivity and services do not and will not cost more than using similar data over their 3G network.  Ironically, it costs Sprint even less for a user to use 3G CDMA data than it does to allow a user to use 2G iDEN data services.  So, really, if the cost of data over 2G iDEN is the most expensive (yet it delivers the SLOWEST service), then you would think that upgrading to any phone (so long as someone has unlimited web...which my plan does have) would allow one to use the phone without ever incurring any overages.

Yet leave it to Sprint to do what AT&T and Verizon are doing: forcing customers into adopting rate plans that really are ultimately impractical for the end user, and maximize the company's profit margins.  It makes what Nextel did seem like they were going to GIVE AWAY the company...yet we KNOW Nextel maximized profits to the point that they led the industry.  Go figure.  Ah well...so much for that tanget.  Let's hope that Sprint modifies its phone/rate plan restrictions so that the end user can do what the end user wishes (within his/her legal rights, that is).

• 13. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    Gold Expert

ss12 wrote:

Reading the full McGuire exchange on his blog I am now angry.

Either: a) he is wrong about what will happen or b) he takes the readers for fools.

In other words people on Friends and Family, Free and Clear and Fair and Flexible -- typically people with HUGE loyalty and al paying more than SERO per line and almost all multiple line accounts which have much higher value and profit for Sprint, are going to be $crewed in favor of SERO customers?

If that happens WORD will GET out that Sprint is THE wireless company MOST unfriendly to families and more friendly to people its spokesmen have called dead weight in the press than actual loyal long-term profit-bringing customers?

Message was edited by: ss12

And yet, if that ends up being true, it wouldn't surprise any of us ultra loyal Nextel post-paid subs at all.  And that's probably why this company continues to lose the post-paid iDEN user base at such a consistant rate.  We hang on, hoping that things will get better and that this company will WAKE UP and realize their mistakes.  Instead, every day that goes by causes a few more iDEN subs to leave...and still nothing from the management team in terms of how they plan on improving the plight of the post-paid iDEN user.  Remember, Dan Hesse did say that he was going to "reinvigorate the Nextel brand."  Yeah, still has yet to happen.  Seems like anything that this company tells us is going to be a bold faced lie.  So, my guess...if I had to make one...is that this talk about allowing SERO users to be able to use any handset without being forced into changing their rate plan is going to be struck down and never be allowed to happen.

• 14. Re: PHONE PLAN RESTRICTION ENDING OCTOBER, TRUE?
    BenZZzz Regular Visitor

And if you and others complain it'll be a sad  commentary on today's society. You control your own destiny. It's not  sprints fault that you decided to pay more. Early adopters always pay more and Sprint didn't twist anyones arm. I would hope they don't  offer anyone who jumped ANYTHING in return. ETF or STFU

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points