This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2010 3:38 PM by SMAHLER RSS

Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers

SMAHLER Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I saw (somewhere on the web) that the i1 did not successfully sync Direct Connect (DC) numbers with GMAIL Contacts.

I tried it and believed that the posting was correct for a couple days.   I finally figured out the details that allow the i1 and DC numbers with GMAIL Contacts.  (Maybe this is more of a problem for people that are already GMAIL and Nextel users.)

1) the i1 has multiple types of contacts ... exchange, phone and google ... this only applies to google tagged contacts

2) I have not found a way to add the correct tag "PTT1" in the "PHONE" section of the GMAIL Contacts edit interface, so the DC number must be entered from the phone *initially*.

3) Once the entry exists in Google Contacts, you can edit the DC numbers from the computer

4) The phone must sync the data with Google Contacts

5) The computer interface to GMail Contacts (at least my configuration) won't update the contact data without logging out and then back in logging in to your account.  Really, you have to signout and login to see new data synced from the phone.

So an easy way to populate your new Sprint Motorola i1 might be ...

--) it is easier if ... before you initialize your i1 you do step A ... but you can do it after you initialize

A) obtain a GMAIL account, access contacts then import or enter the contacts you want on your phone, but do not try to put any DC information in Google Contacts

B) setup your i1 using the GMAIL account you used in step A, adjust your sync settings or force a sync to GMAIL Contacts

C) On the phone after the sync, go to Contacts, edit each contact, go to the Direct Connect field and either ... i) put in the right number or ii) just put in a single digit.

D) Sync the phone to GMAIL Contacts

E) If in step C you put in the right DC number, your done ... just login again on your computer and look at GMAIL Contacts

F) If in step C you put in a single digit, login again on your computer and go to GMAIL Contacts ... edit each entry from the luxury of your PC keyboard ... resync the phone ... and you should be done.

G) Once you get this initial stuff done it's no problem, you can change information from the computer or the phone without problems.  Breath normally!

Remember if you add other contacts later you will have to use the same basic pattern ... The DC number must be entered first on the phone !!

...STeve

• 1. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    Bronze Expert

STeve,

Thanks for the very informative, detailed info. It's Community members contributions like yours that are the most valuable, appreciated postings possible.

- Nxtl4me

• 2. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    Gold Expert

Hey there, Steve.  Brilliant point and I'm glad someone (i.e., you) took the time to figure out how to sync contacts on the phone with those on Google and vice versa.  Brilliant.  What is sad is that no one who SHOULD HAVE did so.  Not Motorola (which you would have thought might try); not Google itself (perhaps they don't respect iDEN?); and most assuredly NOT SPRINT!  Ok...so that last one didn't surprise me in the least.

Anyhow, I assume that you actually have an i1 in your possession and you are using it.  How do you like it so far?  Thoughts?  Shoot me a PM or DC me...either way works.

• 3. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    SMAHLER Regular Visitor

Thanks guys for the nice comments.  I like the i1.  I need the following to make it a love affair.

1)  Android 2.1 - android operation is all about the apps.  without 2.1 the new apps just aren't available.

2)  Email to work with ActiveSync.  My workaround is Touchdown for Cupcake.  But the Touchdown user interface is rough (sense UI has the best mail/calender/contacts UI for my money).  And, Touchdown 1.5.1 is the last in the series for Android 1.5 so no enhancements or patches are ever going to be forthcoming.

and if they ever have an i2 ... to add a 3g capability.

...STeve

• 4. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    Gold Expert

Well, here's some interesting info.  According to Phonescoop.com, Motorola does NOT plan on upgrading the i1's Android OS to anything higher than v1.6.  I think that's b/c of the lack of internal memory and hardware that Motorola otherwise has put into other handsets (think Droid, Droid 2, Droid X).  So, basically, while 2.1 or even 2.2 COULD be available, Motorola simply didn't invest in the hardware to make it work flawlessly.

Also, if you want apps to work, it may be time for us iDEN users to download the SDK for Android 1.5 (and 1.6) and start creating our own Android apps specifically for us iDEN users.  I'm already starting one that uses the built-in camera for the app I'm calling "Beer Goggles Drink Meter".  It'll be a while since programming in Android is a bit harder than I originally thought, but I'm hopeful it will be available by this time next year (if not sooner).

Finally, Sprint and Motorola could seriously make all of us loyal iDEN users who want Android OS phones seriously happy by mating iDEN with WiMAX.  Heck, HTC, Motorola, and Samsung have done so with CDMA, so what is to stop Motorola from simply converting from merely a WiFi module to a WiFi/WiMAX module that they could pop into a similar iDEN/Android handset?  I say nothing!  It's only a matter of whether Sprint asks them to.  Now, if you ultimately want to migrate people and NOT clog up the iDEN network, then making a hybrid iDEN/WiMAX handset makes perfect sense.  Sure the battery won't last past 20 hours under normal use (more like 8 really), but hey...it would make data consumption for us iDEN folks much simpler and we'd be far more efficient.  A win/win, no?

• 5. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    SMAHLER Regular Visitor

I did see a single webposting (somewhere) that someone had seen firsthand an i1 running 2.1 ... we can hope!

• 6. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    Gold Expert

Well, if I recall, Motorola did originally launch the i1 (as the Opus One) in Israel on their MIR iDEN network, and that phone had Android 1.5.  Since then, it has been updated to Android 1.6, and I believe some have upgraded the phone to Android 2.0+...but I haven't seen anything that officially confirms it...only a few people here and there that have told me such.  Still, I honestly find it hard to believe that the i1 is hindered by any hardware issues when it comes to running 2.0+.  Seems like a bogus reason if you ask me.

Here's hoping Motorola and Sprint collaborate and get an Android 2.2+ iDEN/WiMAX phone launched before say...Xmas, 2010?  That would be nice...and would definitely keep me with Sprint.  But without it..I'm out in October when my contract expires.

• 7. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    Bronze Expert

STeve,

While we're on the topic of the i1, and you are obviously a seriously intelligent user that does not give up easily, can you tell me if the i1 has the same "Call Filter" capability that previous (non-Android) iDEN phones have?

I searched the User Guide for the i1 for the term "Call FIlter" but found nothing, but then again perhaps it is called something different with the Android OS. (BTW, it is interesting that the file size of the PDF user guides for all previousl iDEN phones are on the order of 2.5 to 3.5 Mb, whereas the i1's user guide is 25 Mb, a ten-fold increase in file size for the user guide! Not a problem with DSL of course, but interesting all the same.)

I have to keep my Nextel phone turned on 24/7 in case my elderly father needs to get hold of me at any time (Nextel PTT is a godsend for this situation), but I like the ability to filter out all other callers during the night except my dad. If indeed the i1 has properly functioning Call Filtering capability, I would be far more interested in upgrading to the i1. Any info/insight you have on the i1's Call Filtering capability (or lack thereof) would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

- Nxtl4me

• 8. Re: Motorola i1 Does Sync Direct Connect Numbers
    SMAHLER Regular Visitor

Nxtl4me:

I don't think the Call Filter is there.  But, I really doesn't matter.  The whole idea of Android is that if the unit doesn't do it, just write an app. The interesting question is how would you do it?  Mark them as favorites?  Put them in a table?

Just create a silent ring tone, then have the app toggle the selected ring for each contact as you desire (saving the original settings).  When you run it again it just puts the original stuff back in place.

You must be using one press DC with your Dad, yes?    I used it for my wife.

Any application programmers out there??

...STeve

Message was edited by: smahler

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...