This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2011 8:19 PM by SunnySD92101 RSS

Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for

RZRSEG Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

This is my latest reply to an e-mail 3 day long string from Sprint Customer Service about what they want an extra $10 a month for the EVO.  The rest of the replies from them are stock full of cut-n-pasted marketing speak about "rich data services" and other such meaningless buzz words.  They said they're actually going to call me within 24 hours so I can talk with someone about it...but I like the e-mails better.  Nothing like a nice papertrail.

"So far from 3 different people, I've gotten conflicting answers.  Two (including this last one) says it is for the Unlimited plan and one says it's not.  So I'll ask again.  If I already have an Unlimited plan, which I do, how can I buy MORE data than Unlimited?  Unlimited, by definition is unlimited.  If it's not for the Unlimited plan, then what does paying for the "rich data services" mean..in tech speak, not touchy, huggy, marketing drivel.

From Rose K (is for the unlimited data)
. - "I understand the 4G coverage is not available in your area but the $10 Premium Data plan is not a charge for 4G services.

It is for unlimited data usage while in 3G/4G Sprint network."

From  Seneca G (is not for the unlimited data)
. - "Please be assured that the $10.00 Premium Service charge is not to use the unlimited data usage. It is to experience the high-definition and rich data services."

From Jennifer B (is for the unlimited data). - " The $10 Premium Data Plan is for UNLIMITED 3G or 4G data while on the Sprint network with the EVO and is applied to all owners of EVO regardless if they live in a 3G or 4G coverage area."

Please don't fluff the next e-mail with "rich experience" marketing faf.  Assume I'm an intelligent, informed, tech savy consumer who wants to know what he's paying for, and not someone who's going to be attracted to the next shiny thing.

Thanks again,
David

• 1. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    geauxpokes Regular Visitor

Tomorrow I think I am going to call them and ask them why I am being charged the $10 dollars being I can only get 75-100 kbps down and 100-125 up. I can't use use sprint tv, nascar, or any streaming services on the network. I tried downloading a song from amazon and it timed out. I had to wait until I got home and downloaded it over wifi. It is extremely frustrating waiting 10 20 and sometimes close to a minute for a web page to load knowing I am having to pay the $10 for what feels like dialup speeds.

• 2. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    chrisjby74 Regular Visitor

The $10 fee is just a way to collect more money. Peroid. They'll also tell you that even though you may not have 4g in your home town, if you travel to a city where 4g is available, you'll be able to utilize it. I've also heard time and time again that the $10 is for a "richer data experience" which is just bs. If I stream a youtube video, it's the same youtube video that anyone else can view regardless of the phone. It isn't extra fancy (richer) just because I have a htc evo. And if they're talking about "richer data experience" as in the sprint tv or the other useless apps that came preinstalled (qik, sprint football, sprint zone, nascar, etc), you can have them or at least let me remove them myself, 'cause I don't want them. My only hope is that, they'll use this $10 per evo fee and actually invest those hard earned dollars that we spend into making sure that WIMAX is turned on everywhere. Or at least get rid of the spotty 3g coverage that some people have.

Oh, and by the way .. I think it's funny that some Sprint reps will tell you that it's for a high definition experience. Weird, since the evo is capped at 30 fps and has a native resolution of 800 x 480. Sooo, how is this HD??

Don't get me wrong, I love my evo. I do. Just don't call it what it isn't.

Message was edited by: chrisjby74

• 3. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    RZRSEG Newbie

The latest reply to my question:  More HD / Rich Data Experience / Marketing fluff.  Oooohh..."larger than life", and that quote from Hesse...good lord, they must think we're all idiots. I think my favorite bit of Marketing drivel was the high-def plasma screen part.

Dear David XXXXXXXX

My name is DeAngelo XXXXXXXX, a supervisor at Sprint. I am happy to
      answer your questions.

Our $10 Premium Data plan is for the rich data experience that HTC EVO™
      4G provides whether in 3G or 4G Sprint network. Dan Hesse put it best
      when he described the HTC EVO™ 4G experience like going from regular TV
      to a High Definition TV.

Think about when you are in your favorite electronics store looking at
      the wall of televisions. You can’t help but be drawn to the high-def
      plasma screens that are larger than life with images you want to reach
      out and touch. Our 4G service is also called Wi-Max which only works on
      4G devices instead of Wi-Fi that works on 3G devices. All of this
      incorporates with the $10 Premium Charge and all of these features is
      what sets the HTC Evo apart from all of our other devices. As of now,
      the $10 Premium Charge is only for the HTC Evo if you are un-happy with
      the charge you can return the device within our 30-day Exchange Policy
      and find another comparable device to use so the charge will not be
      assessed.

• 4. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    biglebronski Newbie

Well, this $10 isn't deterring anyone from buying the EVO.  And since it's still on backorder, I wouldn't expect Sprint to change anything.  I'm sure that if they had piles of these phones lying around and not selling, they might reconsider the $10 fee.  But the fact is that the people who don't want to pay an extra $10 here are the same people that won't get an iPhone at AT&T because of the extra data charges.

Now AT&T is no longer offering unlimited for iPhone, but a tiered plan.  And I will certainly pay $10 a month extra to use as much data as I want before paying $10 less to have my data capped.

• 5. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

rzrseg1:

If you keep contacting Sprint regarding the same issue, under their Terms & Conditions of the Sprint contract, they can consider that repeated contact "harrassment" and terminate your service. I have been with Sprint for over 10 years now and have seen a decline in their Customer Service. I currently have an ongoing issue with Sprint regarding a defective phone (HTC Hero) that they sold me and refused to replace, after only 4 months of use. When I contacted them for service or support, for almost 6 weeks and numerous emails later, all they did was bounce me from rep to rep and they had no plans to resolve my phone issues, but were just trying to pacify me. I then purchased the HTC EVO on the first day when it became available, but I had to pay the full retail price of $449. The issue I now have with Sprint is that my EVO has problems connecting to their network while at home at even the minimum download speeds that they have posted on their website. The phone has already been checked by an authorized Sprint Repair Center and the tech did not find anything wrong with the phone. The tech basically told me it has to do with the Sprint network, but I don't have his comments in writing, the conversation was not recorded, nor did anybody overhear his comments, so it is hearsay evidence and not admissable in court. I currently have an open ticket with the Sprint Network Operations on the connection issue. In the past, I too have contacted Sprint regarding the $10/month Premium Data Fee and have also been given their standard reply that the fee is for the rich data experience that the EVO can provide. However, I have a real problem of Sprint justyfying that fee in my circumstances and how am I supposed to experience the rich data experience if my phone has a problem with even obtaining a standard connection? In addition, I also like a papertrail and refuse to talk to anyone from Sprint over the phone as I want the information exchange via email, but the Sprint Executive Services Team has already threatened to terminate my cellular service if I continue to contact them regarding the same issue. Also, at this point, I would not even consider paying Sprint the $30/month fee for their hotspot service and try to tether any other device off this phone, again, I can barely get a good enough network connection for just the phone, let alone any other device that would certainly put a load on the connection!

Message was edited by: rckstein02

• 6. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    FONEDUDE101 Newbie

I live in rural Iowa, and I'm pretty sure I'll never see 4 G here.  I'm also pretty sure the $10 premium fee was clearly stated out front when I purchased the phone.  I made the conscious decison that the device itself and increased use of it (bandwidth) would justify the additional expense.  If you objected to the notion of a premium fee for the Evo, you should have went with a different device, plain and simple.  You have no right to complain on this count.

• 7. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

Yes, the $10/month Premium Data Fee was clearly disclosed at the time that I purchased my EVO. But I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area and I don't think that I am being unreasonable in expecting the Sprint network connection to be better than it is. Especially since I have what is supposed to be their top of the line phone and a Premium Data Plan that is supposed to support it. As previously stated, I am not able to get even a 3G network connection at even the average minimum download speed that Sprint has posted on their website. In my opinion, that is false and deceptive advertising. The only thing that makes the extra monthly fee a little more palatable in my case is that I receive a 25% discount off the monthly $69.99 plan for being part of a corporate national account and the fact that if I were to go to another carrier, I would be paying more than $100/month for the same service that Sprint offers. But just because Sprint offers lower prices, a consumer should not have to settle for inferior service. I am paying them for something that they need to provide.

• 8. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    FONEDUDE101 Newbie

rckstein - I hear what you're saying.  In that area, you should have dang good coverage.  I recently went to the Chicago area, experienced 4g, and was impressed when I got 3500/1000 on my speedtest.  I wasn't so impressed with my battery life though.

Regardless, I have a few questions/comments on your post, which I admittedly did breeze over as being a rant.

First, you are correct Sprint will term you if they deem you a pain in the ****.  I've played with Sprint from both a long distance perspective and a wireless one for quite some time.  I've noticed a drastic improvement in their customer service from years past.  As with you, I wont call them though - bad for the blood pressure, and I like the paper trail as well.  Nowadays, they are quick to credit, and have demonstrated an obvious "do what it takes" attitude to keep my business.  Maybe I'm just playing the game better though?

You seem bitter about having to pay full retail for the HVO, and site issues with a Hero after 4 months of use.  I have to ask, did you subscribe to the total protection insurance plan?  Did you notice these issues within the first 30 days?

It may be you are simply in a "dead spot".  My unfortunate luck has landed me in more than a few such similiar areas - both past and prestent.  My previous office cube, my current office in my house - both prime examples.  2.2 seemed to fix some issues with the evo not wanting to hop over to closer roaming towers, so there may still be hope for you.

I also get the corporate discount, and can't agree more that the price point helps keep me with Sprint.  Do I feel I'm "settling" though?  No way.  My evo rules, and I do believe it is exclusive to Sprint.

• 9. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

fonedude101:

Yes I am a little bitter about having to pay full retail for the EVO. I felt that under the circumstances that I have endured, that Sprint could have extended to me the $250 upgrade and instant discount that any other customer that walks in off the street can get the EVO for. After I purchased the HTC Hero, I reported to Sprint the first connection issue with that phone after having used it for only 3 days! I continued to report to Sprint other issues that the Hero had. The phone was tested at an authorized Sprint Repair Center and the tech immediately noticed that the phone had connection issues and he ordered a replacement. However, at no time was I ever informed that the replacement would be a refurbished one. When the replacement arrived, it was covered with nicks and scratches all over the case. I don't have junk, I take care of my stuff! My Hero had always been protected by a case and screen saver, remove both of those items, and the phone still looked like a new phone. If I were to give Sprint that phone, after they refurbished it they would then be able to give a customer a phone that looked and worked like new. I felt what they were offering me was something inferior and I rejected it. I have the insurance plan but I did not feel that I should have to pay the deductible to replace the phone because again, I reported to Sprint issues with that phone within the first 30 days of use. When I rejected the refurbished phone, what Sprint did next was to just drag out my situation for almost 6 weeks when they had no intentions of resolving my issue. Sprint convinced me to wait for the upcoming Android 2.1 update and that should fix all of the phone issues. The software update didn't fix anything with the Hero, but I was now well over the 30 days after it was purchased so the Sprint store wouldn't take it back, they said I had to deal with service or the insurance. I felt that I should not have to accept a refurbished phone because in my mind, I never had a new phone since the Hero was defective. I then took matters into my own hands when I went ahead and purchased the EVO on opening day of sales. When the EVO first came out it also had Android 2.1 but all of the other issues that I had with the Hero disappeared when I got the EVO, even though it was the same operating system. I have been dealing with handset issues since approximately 09/09 when I had an HTC Touch Pro that had issues. At that time, I was informed by Sprint to wait for an update to the software to that phone. To this day, they still have not provided a software update to that phone! Now this is ranting, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

• 10. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    TexLTE123 Regular Visitor

Cellular providers need to be regulated more stringently.  They sell a service described with precise technical capabilities then drag you down into the muck of obscure answers when you the customer tries to understand why you are not getting what you pay for or question what you bought.   Think about paying for a water bill only to understand later they cant deliver enough water to flush your comode because the pipes, pumps or supply are all too small.

• 11. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    BriXxXBee Newbie

If you have an HTC EVO 4G, and you are using the standard internet, just to let you know it sucks, and theres an app for that. Moxilla and Skyfire allows flash players and all sorts of other fun things. Loading the browser takes slightly longer than we like, but the benefits outweight that. Ever played a FB game on your mobile??? I have....!

• 12. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

I just received from a Sprint Customer Service Rep a new "excuse" for the $10/month Premium Data Fee.

Prior to applying Maintenance Release 3.70.651.1, I had 4G service at my home location. However, since applying their update, I no longer have 4G service at home and that is the reason that I had recently contacted Sprint regarding this issue.

From Juanita C.-Sprint CSR:

"I understand that 4G services are not currently available for your location."

and

"Let me clarify the reason behind the additional charge of $10.00 Premium Data pack.

The $10 Premium Data Plan is for UNLIMITED 3G or 4G data while on the Sprint network with the EVO and is applied to all owners of the EVO regardless if they live in a 3G or 4G coverage area."

So back to Sprint double-talk. I had been previously informed from a Sprint CSR that the Premium Data Plan is for the "rich data experience" of the EVO. Now they are back to saying that it is for UNLIMITED data usage.

I must counter that with UNLIMITED data is already included in my Everything Data Plan!

Sprint, what does UNLIMITED mean to you!?

• 13. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    FONEDUDE101 Newbie

Let it go dude, let it go.  You're getting your panties all bunched up again, and the only thing you'll get out of it is some chafing...

Given ATT's implementation of limited data plans, and with Verizon appearing ready to follow suit in conjunction with release of its iphone, I'm actually surprised to hear people still whining about the premium fee.  Pay your $10, enjoy your corporate discount, and quit whining.

I mean really...  Would you prefer to see tiered bandwidth plans with Sprint now too?

Repeat after me, "ohmmmmmmmmmm...."

• 14. Re: Actual Sprint Customer Service Replies as to what the $10 a month is for
    VLDANG4159 Newbie

So if Sprint decide to charge $20 instead of $10 for Premium Data rate we must accept it as well? 

I just found out @ the Sprint store, as of 1/31/2011 if you switch smartphone or sign-up new account Sprint will charge you additional $10/mos for Premium Data plan, ***?  I do not have a 4G phone! All I want to do is switch my 3G smartphone so why charge me additional $10/mos on my Family Plan with unlimited data? Those of you with 4G capable phone but are not getting 4G service in your area it is not fair to be charge Premium Data/mos when you only getting 3G service.  Someone should file a class action lawsuit against Sprint.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...