This discussion is archived
1 2 3 6 Previous Next 85 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 8:20 PM by RC1024 RSS

HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues

Awestin Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I wanted to make a post about my issues dealing with my broken charging port on my HTC EVO 4G. This is primarily to assist others whom might share this issue and what I went through to try and end with an acceptable outcome.

August 11th, 2010 (Wednesday):

I was having some issues with my HTC EVO's charging port, it was very fickle and would require some work to get the phone to charge. I had not had any issues with the charging port before. When charging it the night before, it had fallen off of my desk and that is when I started having problems. As one of my friends so kindly put it; "That wouldn't happen to an iPhone ". I'm not a big fan of iPhones but he is probably right. Being as that is the case, it is most definitely a manufacturing defect.

August 12th, 2010 (Thursday):

I took my phone into the Sprint store to have them try and repair the charging port. I was well aware, by this time, that the problem was undeniably the port and not the cable. I had tried multiple cables in multiple plugs, even my car charger. The Sprint technician took my phone and opened it up, as soon as she did that the charging port fell out of the phone and off the circuit board. She told me that she could not fix the port for me, despite having the Total Equipment Protection Plan, because it was not a "commonly known issue" on the sprint forums, she only offered me a spare battery. I was told by her and another Sprint Representative in the store that my only alternative to fixing my phone would be to go through the Phoneclaim service (Asurion) and have them replace my phone. Of course this would require a deductible. Thinking the deductible was $50 as it is with most phones I was still hesitant to do so. That is a lot of money for something I just spent almost $350 on.

August 13th, 2010 (Friday):

I had decided started placing a claim on the Phoneclaim website when I got to the payment portion. $100 deductible instead of the $50 deductible I was expecting. I wasn't very happy upon discovering this. I called Sprint and they told me that I had no other options except to pay the $100 deductible and then connected me to an Asurion Agent. They also told me that I had to pay the $100 non-refundable deductible in order to get my phone replaced. This caused a great deal of stress for me and I was not thrilled about it at all. I stopped my claim so that I could think it over. So I was quite opposed to the idea and had decided to try and stick it out, I could deal with a fickle charging port. Well that was just the problem, the port was no longer fickle after she opened it up, it was now completely broken. The phone refused to charge and despite it being such a small problem on an otherwise immaculately kept device, it is actually a very big problem. I burnt through both batteries pretty quick, one was at a 90% charge and the other at 50%. So I had 2 Sprint representatives in the store, 1 Sprint representative through customer service and an Asurion Agent whom all told me there was no other way and I had to pay the $100 deductible to get my phone replaced. I finally caved and paid the $100 deductible for the replacement phone.

I later decided to look on the Sprint Forums for posts regarding a broken charging port and after failing to find any, I posted my own to see if anybody else had similar issues. My post was later removed by a Sprint Admin for the following reason;

"Hi!  I have removed your post as it's duplicate with several others already on the Community.  Please do a search on EVO Charge and you will be able to find similar posts."

As you may be able to imagine this made me quite upset. I was told that I could not have my phone fixed in the Sprint store because there were not any posts regarding this problem but this Sprint Admin had deleted my post for just the opposite reason. There were conflicting opinions here. I promptly responded with the following:

"[name],

I understand why you said you deleted my post but I disagree with you having done it. I had looked thoroughly for other similar posts as did the Sprint Technician when they decided not to fix my phone on account of no problems being reported on a broken charging port on the Sprint forums. As such, I would deeply appreciate you to either back your claim of similar posts by giving me direct links to them so that I may ensure their similarities or restore my original post.

Thank you"

Only today did I receive a response that said this;

"You may be right regarding a broken charging port...the post I was referring to was about a loose charging port.  Feel free to repost if you'd like.  Thank you.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/189919#189919"

So I am reposting my whole thing because of his mistake. Just as I later found I paid a $100 deductible for a new phone for the mistake of multiple Sprint representatives misinforming me as to my options. I was quite upset at the Irony of it all and decided to explain my situation to Customer Service. This whole process required many days of calls, disconnected calls and callbacks (on my end, only ever received 1 callback from a Sprint Rep despite many others telling me they would) so I will try and summarize.

Sprint Rep #1:

I called and they said that I should have had got a new phone replacement at no charge to me. Connected to Technical Service.

They attempted to fix the problem, they said they needed to contact a supervisor for more information and would call me back. Never heard from them again. I had waited a day to hear back from them.

Sprint Rep #2:

I had asked if the Rep could connect me with the man I spoke with yesterday. They dodged the question and asked if they could help. Explained my whole issue again, they said they would help me.I was later disconnected from the call after they said they would connect me to a Supervisor.

Sprint Rep #3:

Again, explained the whole thing, they checked the notes on the account. I had discovered that the first rep made a change to my account regarding my plan. It changed from the Everything Data Share 1500 to the Everything Data Share 3000. My phone was the only one of the 3 other lines that changed. This didn't make any sense but I was wary to make any more changes to my account as I was afraid it would negate the effects the first rep was trying to do. They tried to connect me to a supervisor. Hold. Hold. Hold. Disconnected.

Sprint Rep #4:

Explained my story again. Accessed the account. Replacement phone has been ordered on Sprint's side. Good. Now I need to get a refund for the $100 non-refundable deductible from Asurion. I understand that I am not superior to anybody else, so why should I receive a refund to the non-refundable deductible. I explained that upon the ill advise of the 3 Sprint Reps and 1 Asurion Agent I paid the deductible when I was not supposed to. As such I wanted one. Tried to connect me to a supervisor. Hold. Hold. Hold. Asked to call me back. Nothing.

Sprint Rep #5:

I called, yet again. I had explained my situation. FINALLY got a hold of someone whom could assit me. She was very helpful and pleasant to speak to. I got an adjustment to my bill to compensate for the $100 deductible I shouldn't have paid. I was in the middle of discussing my last 2 issues when the call was disconnected. Again.

Sprint Rep #6:

I really shouldn't have to explain this yet again, but I did. This representative was also extremely pleasant to speak to and was very helpful. She managed to push my phone back onto the Everything Data Share 1500 plan and now I just needed to cancel my claim with Asurion. Disconnected. Bummer.

Sprint Rep #7:

They actually just checked my account for the notes made so I didn't have to explain it. I told them I wanted to cancel my Asurion claim. They tried connecting me. It was an automated system. Nothing could be done. I tried calling that number multiple times and got the same thing. Went online and couldn't cancel it there.

Sprint Rep #8:

Explained my situation. Wanted to cancel my claim, could they connect me to an Asurion Agent? They did promptly. I found that I could not cancel my claim, rather I should just refuse the shipment and then it was done. I was offered a 1 time courtesy refund of the $100 deductible upon the receipt of the replacement phone back to Asurion. Good.

NOTE: I SWITCHED MY PHONE FROM MY BROKEN HTC EVO TO A SAMSUNG FLIP PHONE, FOR THEM TO DO THIS IT REQUIRES FOR THEM TO REMOVE THE $10 PREMIUM DATA CHARGE FROM YOUR ACCOUNT AND RE-ADD IT IF/WHEN YOU ADD THE HTC EVO AGAIN. (No changes could be made to my account while the Samsung flip phone was active and so they put the broken EVO back on my account. Be wary when switching phones from the EVO to another, the multiple changes to the account are all chances for them to mess it up.)

Sorry this is so long, it was my experience. So I am finally finished with this ordeal. I am getting my replacement phone in a few days and will have to switch my number in the mean time, despite the above warning.
The charging port is an issue for the manufacturer and I hope they redeem that issue or Sprint makes it easier to simply fix the phone. I find it silly that I have to replace my whole device which is in immaculate condition except for the broken charging port.
The attached picture is of my HTC EVO with the charger plugged in but the phone still says that it needs to be plugged in. Sorry for the low resolution image, it wasn't taken on my EVO. Obviously.
All in all I enjoy being with Sprint and would STILL recommend them to anyone.
[Everything completed on August 16th, 2010 (Monday), 5 day ordeal]
  • 1. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    HLWASHINGTON2008 Regular Visitor

wow! that is amazing! i must admit that i got a good chuckle reading your post

Way to go Sprint!

Good Luck!

• 2. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

AustinDanisher wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to make a post about my issues dealing with my broken charging port on my HTC EVO 4G. This is primarily to assist others whom might share this issue and what I went through to try and end with an acceptable outcome.

August 11th, 2010 (Wednesday):

I was having some issues with my HTC EVO's charging port, it was very fickle and would require some work to get the phone to charge. I had not had any issues with the charging port before. When charging it the night before, it had fallen off of my desk and that is when I started having problems. As one of my friends so kindly put it; "That wouldn't happen to an iPhone ". I'm not a big fan of iPhones but he is probably right. Being as that is the case, it is most definitely a manufacturing defect.

You are fortunate if you get the phone replaced for free.  You dropped your phone several feet while plugged in, damaging the charging port, and call it a manufacturing defect?

• 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Awestin Regular Visitor

If my phone broke under those circumstances whereas another phone of similar functions and price range would not break, yes I would absolutely call that a manufacturer's defect. For a $500 phone it should absolutely retain it's integrity through a small drop such as that with a protective cover (body glove) on a carpeted floor.

• 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues

If it landed on the plug, no cover or carpeting would protect it.  Damage from being dropped is not a manufacturing defect despite what you might want to believe.  And your friend's statement that it would not have happened to an iphone is neither necessarily true nor does it affect the responsibility you should take for the damage.

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

• 5. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Awestin Regular Visitor

[Message removed]

Message was edited by: AustinDanisher

• 6. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Awestin Regular Visitor

Wasbakntyme,

You are assuming that it dropped on the plug. Nowhere was it stated, hinted, nor implied that it had landed on it's plug. If you believe that a cell phone is supposed to go it's whole life span without ever being dropped or falling in order to retain it's integrity, your expectations differ quite dramatically. One does not maintain an immaculately kept device by shirking responsibility for it's care. Perhaps you should read the story again. My post was not made in any negative demeanor, no hard feelings were implied towards Sprint and/or any others. What your problem is, I don't know.

I do not know why you have decided to post negative comments, perhaps lacking in anything better to do. You claim that I am not taking responsibility for the damage incurred upon my device; my story stated that I did pay the $100 deductible to get my phone replaced, then later found that it wasn't necessary and that it could be done through Sprint at no cost to me. So said the Sprint Representatives that the damage incurred was a manufacturer's defect and I was honest about what had happened and did not alter the story to better suit my goals.

To summarize, you are wrong and you opinion's are harmful to the light-hearted demeanor implied within my story.

• 7. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues

AustinDanisher wrote:

Wasbakntyme,

You are assuming that it dropped on the plug. Nowhere was it stated, hinted, nor implied that it had landed on it's plug. If you believe that a cell phone is supposed to go it's whole life span without ever being dropped or falling in order to retain it's integrity, your expectations differ quite dramatically. One does not maintain an immaculately kept device by shirking responsibility for it's care. Perhaps you should read the story again. My post was not made in any negative demeanor, no hard feelings were implied towards Sprint and/or any others. What your problem is, I don't know.

I do not know why you have decided to post negative comments, perhaps lacking in anything better to do. You claim that I am not taking responsibility for the damage incurred upon my device; my story stated that I did pay the $100 deductible to get my phone replaced, then later found that it wasn't necessary and that it could be done through Sprint at no cost to me. So said the Sprint Representatives that the damage incurred was a manufacturer's defect and I was honest about what had happened and did not alter the story to better suit my goals.

To summarize, you are wrong and you opinion's are harmful to the light-hearted demeanor implied within my story.

I did not assume it dropped on the plug; note the first word in the relevant post, "If".  I don't believe that a cell phone will never be dropped; that is why I pay for the insurance.  My initial response was that you should consider yourself fortunate if Sprint replaced your phone at no charge, since damage from dropping the phone is not a manufacturing defect as you claimed.  I stand by that statement.

• 8. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    JOEHAWKINS666US Newbie

Add me as the latest group member to the problem.  Phone will not charge unless I hold it upright and in my hand.   If I put the phone down the charge stops.   I have had my phone since it came out.   What a drag.  I guess I will have to fight a battle with Sprint.  I have been with them for over 10 years, they better not give me grief or I will take my **** to Verizon or AT&T. 

• 9. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    bbigeagle Newbie

I have not had that problem ---yet but I have had an issue with the screen ---sometimes it is real sensitive and other times I cannot get it to answer the phone . it is like it is locked up . I have to turn the phine off and restart it. you would think that as much as it cost that it would be a good phone . my son has a droid from verizon . it is a lot better phone --their rate plans are higher and the coverage is not better...I guess I will continue to fight with this phone

• 10. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    conchettathebeautiful Newbie

Omg!!!! I thought it was just me that was going through this with my Evo!!! I also thought that it was the charger and not the phone. I had a car charger that the phone would charge on. (it was a piece of **** from a gas station and broke) It definitely makes me think about what I should do though. Besides my phone not charging, I recently dropped it while trying to put it in my purse and subsequently cracked the screen. (It looks like a spiderweb now...) Fortunately, the phone still works just fine (besides the charging issue). I have insurance on my phone, so I took it to a repair center and they told me I will have to pay a $120 deductible to have a replacement phone! You can imagine my disbelief. It's just a screen! I don't know what I should do now... Maybe, I should just go ahead and get another Evo altogether because of my issues with charging and now having a cracked screen???

• 11. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Levi4u Master

Because you have cracked your screen the only recourse is to file an Insurance claim, The deductable is only $100 though not $120. You can file a claim here;

http://www.phoneclaim.com/sprint

• 12. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    MBABE16 Newbie

I am currently having charging port issues as well. I have a scheduled appointment today to have it checked out. I was told at a sister store that was not a repair store last night that the could open up my phone and replace the port. Hopefully they are able to do that and I am able to keep my existing phone that I just got In August. I will keep you posted on the results.

• 13. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Levi4u Master

Under Sprint's new repair/service policy the Port(and a cracked acreen) is now covered, Free if you have TEP, $35 if you don't have TEP.

http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/service_repair/in_store_service.shtml

Message was edited by: Levi4u

• 14. Re: HTC EVO 4G Charging Port Issues
    Awestin Regular Visitor

That is really good to hear and thanks for the info! I don't have to be so worried anymore about my charging port breaking and having to go through that whole debacle again. It is just too bad they didn't decide to cover that earlier on.

1 2 3 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...