This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 11:05 AM by EchoFour RSS

2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?

eunice1818 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi there,

I'm in the process of renewing my contract with Sprint and wanted to know if there are any discounts involved with getting new phones.  We are currently on a family plan in which we would want to grandfather into our new contract but would like new phones.  We have 4 lines and each line will want or need a new phone.  We are looking to do this at the end of August as we want to get the high end phones like the EVO and Samsung Epic.  Currently my phone now is falling apart.  Will definitely want to know how I can go about doing this.

What we did before was call Sprint Customer Service and have them help settle all this but they've been very difficult lately.  They do not give any good answers and also really don't answer all my questions.  I am a premier member with sprint and want to know what my options are.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: 2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?
    Crxsi420 Newbie

If i were you i'd check letstalk.com

you can get some pretty cheap phones that way or even make money on phones.  If you need to sign a 2 year contract, use them.. The only thing is if you cancel your contract in the first 6 months of your service, you have to pay lets talk as well as sprint. after 6 months, its all sprint. I've used them a few times in the past, love it.  I got some phones sent to me with a check for 50$, thats right, I got PAID to take a phone. 

• 2. Re: 2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?
    EchoFour Regular Visitor

If your contract is over you should be eligible to upgrade your phones. As a premier customer your primary line would be eligible for a phone upgrade every 12 months and the other phones would be eligible every 22 months.

To get the higher end phones you will not be able to use an old plan. You will be required to be on the everything data family share or simply everything share plan. If you can settle for some of the less advanced phones or an older smart phone you should be able to avoid making the change.

As far as the discount, when you're eligible for an upgrade you are eligible for the upgrade. There's not much, if anything, people can do to change the price of the phones. However if you're close to the end or just recently out of contract go ahead and call customer care. I know of people that have been given incentives to renew their contract over the phone and then went in and upgraded their phone. That means that they saved money on the deal in the end, but the money off of the phone was technically just the standard upgrade discount.

• 3. Re: 2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?
    MHARRISRVT1 Regular Visitor

If your contract is over you should leave Sprint. If they haven't screwed you over yet, they will.

• 4. Re: 2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?
    Sean-123 Regular Visitor

you will not be able to use almost any of the "smart phones" on your gradfather plan. you will be forced to sing up with the all data family plan and most likely double your monthly bill from your grandfather plan. I was in the same shoes as you and with no additional incentives for being a "premier customer" besides a pathetic 25% off of accessories or be eligible for a new phone every 12 months, you will pay exacltly the same price as joe from the street with 0 loyalty to sprint. i'm 5 days away from porting my 4 lines to another provider.

Sprint, feel free to contact me if you have any desires or "retention". Your supervisors have been nothing but indifferent.

Message was edited by: SeanS

• 5. Re: 2 year contract over, signing new contract with Phone incentives?
    EchoFour Regular Visitor

So you're going to leave Sprint because they will not allow you to keep your old plan with add-ons to get a new phone? It makes more sense to go to a different company and pay much more for the service than you would pay for the new Sprint plan?

Let's use AT&T as an example.

You could pick the 1400 minute family plan for $89.99. Then add on data for both lines (minimum $15.00 each) and the unlimited family text package for $30.00. That takes you up to $149.99, or $20.00 more than the Sprint plan. And, this doesn't give you the unlimited data you get on the Everything Data plan, or the Any Mobile, Anytime feature- and it comes with 100 minutes less. Then with Sprint additional lines are $19.99 (lines 3-5) with AT&T they are $9.99 plus the cost of data add ons ($15.00 minimum again) so the additional lines cost $5.00 more with AT&T at best.

If a different company makes you happy, then go for it. But if you're leaving because you cannot keep the old cheaper plan, you're really shooting yourself in the foot if you change. You'll end up paying even more than you would with Sprint, and you'll get less.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...