This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 4:35 AM by 4232000043 RSS

If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

The only way we will be able to assess how Sprint is actually enforcing the 5 GB cap is for those who exceed it to post any responses from Sprint. To that end, please add a message to this thread and give the information below only in those billing periods you exceed the cap as reported for your account on the Sprint website. Hopefully we'll determine the real cap beyond which Sprint acts.

1. Date notified of T&C change & how.
2a. Billing period end date and total data usage from Sprint website.
2b. Sprint response, if any.
3. Type of account & date opened.

To keep from diluting its value, let's keep the thread on topic.

• 0. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    wingland Sprint Admin

Not to go offtopic, but GOOD IDEA!  Thanks for setting this up.

• 2. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

24May08 by bill.

20Jun08, 8.979189 GB

No response

Consumer acct opened Aug06

• 3. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

Current Usage:

16.3GB of Unlimited

Response From Sprint:

Nothing.

The Bill also showed the following:

Connection Card Data Plan $0.00

Connection Card UNL MRC $59.99

• 4. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

I had a customer come into the store a few days ago with a letter from the Roaming Department. Where he lived was about a half mile fro mthe outside edge of a native Sprint tower so he was always going over the 300MB roaming limit. When we called the department to see what they would do he was offered the ETF waived either to cancel or to port the number out ot a different carrier and his last month's bill credited or to reduce his usage below the 300MB, something he could not due to where he lived, it just wasn't possible. He was never charged for any overages in the 3 month period, he also never went over the 5GB overal cap, just the 300MB roaming limit.

• 5. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

I think the current language in the fine print says they reserve the right to limit your usage upon review of your use and you exceed those limits. It doesn't say it is an automatic event. I also don't think anyone will intentionally go over that limit, but it appears they want a customer base that does not hog their cell towers without paying big bucks? I can understand that, and it appears they are willing to give customers some breaks without bending the rules.

• 6. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

I purposely go over my limit. My attorney is ready should the try anything.

Message Edited by anzatexan on 10-20-2008 10:15 AM

• 7. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

anzatexan wrote:
    I purposely go over my limit. My attorney is ready should the try anything.
    Message Edited by anzatexan on 10-20-2008 10:15 AM

One of the few who cause problems for the many... by purposely going over your limit all you are doing is making the people who decided on this inane cap look like it was the right thing to do. Your attorney will not be of much help to you. The most Sprint will likely do is drop you as a customer for exceeding the bandwidth after you have received a warning letter about it.

There are some customers who don't have a cap for reasons unknown to me at least. If you are capped it should appear on your Sprint.com profile, if it says unlimited, just don't worry about it, take it for what it is. Those who are capped their profile says so.

• 8. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

Well actually, I am TRYING to get them to cancel me. See, my friend recently wanted out of the contract but had gone past the 60 days. So, he used as much bandwidth as he could so they would offer to let him out of the contract with out the ETF. Now that I have new Internet, that's what I am trying to do.

Does Sprint really think that it's still worth the same price with a cap?

And an attorney does work. When I first started questioning about the cap (before it went into affect), I had already discussed with "Dan's" office that I would be discussing my options with an attorney since I signed up for unlimited. They seemed a little distraught that I had gone that far. The exact words from the guy on the phone: "Well, if you are going to go that far, perhaps we might have to see what we can do."

I was living in a rural area where Mobile Broadband is the ONLY form of highspeed internet available (next to satellite which cut us off at 100MB per day). Since I maintain websites for customers, 5GB is NOT acceptable. So, while I purposely may be using more than 5GB, I could technically be doing it on my (much much faster) Road Runner. But since I no longer want to pay 60 bucks a month for something no longer worth it, then I am trying to get them to offer me out of my contract.

Apparently, they see fit to allow to continue to operate at my 20GB+ a month. It's Caps and stupid decisions like that which is causing the U.S. to fall behind the rest of the world. I was in another forum where a guy from Europe was actually laughing at the fact that our Mobile Companies cap our internet. He had spent some time here and couldn't believe how slow both our wireless and hardwired internet connections were. The wireless industry is doing us a huge disservice by taking a step backward in Internet Technology....but so are the major U.S. internet providers.

Thanks for helping the U.S. to rank 20 in the service speed and quality.

• 9. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

Part of the reason our internet services are so slow compared to other countries is simply due to our geographic size. Compared to Europe our country is huge. The simple fact that all of our systems have to span a much wider area means that there are going to have to be more hubs and more switching, all of which slows down traffic. It also creates a much larger overhead to get data back and forth across the country and between areas. I do agree that we have pretty much stagnated however, and have allowed ISPs in general to bump up the rates without providing adequate service in response.

• 10. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

We're off topic.

This thread was created to report only actual monthly excess usage and Sprint reaction so customers could better determine the trend of Sprint's tolerance beyone 5 GB.

Please use it to report only excess monthly usage and Sprint reactions. Otherwise it quickly migrates to banter about the cap like that contained the tens of others in this forum. Thx

• 11. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Valued Member

Four months over from NORMAL (NO illegal things!) operations, not a peep. I pray that they don't. For if they do, they are going to get a earfull for my locale is rural, and have a ton of justifiable reasons why I use EVDO as my primary connection.

Even though. 650/mo for UNCAPPED, UNMANAGED, COMMERCIAL (meaning 24/7 service, 2-3 hr onsite support, a direct number to the NOC) T1 service is gaining appeal by the month as we deal with this stressing ordeal.

Come on Sprint, either do it, or demolish the paper tiger. You are giving your users a TON of unnecessary stress and unwanted discomfort. This kind of business can become litigionous if you keep it up.

• 12. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

24May08 by bill.

20Oct08, 6.234756 GB

No response

Consumer acct opened August 2006

• 13. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

Read here in forums about June or July. Searched previous bills and found notice March 08

Billing End Date Nov 9. 6207591 Kilobytes(6.2 Megs)

Billing End Date Oct 9. 5563782 Kilobytes (5.5 Megs)

Billing End Date Sep 9. 9694819 Kilobytes (9.6 Megs)

No Response

Sprint Power Pack 450 - 7-19-2007

• 14. Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response
    Regular Visitor

Not applicable (signed contract after cap was imposed.)

I can't find any data usage numbers on my bill?

My statement cycles on the 10th.

The "overview" page that loads when I login to the Sprint site indicated a little over 10GB on 09 Dec 2008

At the moment it says:

Unlimited KB included

480,518 KB used

No Response

Connection Card Data Plan

Opened 09 Sept 2008

• 1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...